Gallant hired by the Rags

GASabresIUFAN

1 hour ago, TerryFolds said:

Reductions in the scouting staff and various management positions. It's all good, though, because Kimmy needs her yacht!

I know why people keep mentioning the stupid boat but it seems like misguided criticism.  Are rich people supposed to not do rich people stuff?  I would be.  

32 minutes ago, Weave said:

He’s saying Granato is American.

I don’t know a single Italian person who refers to themselves as anything other than Italian first.  No culture is more proud of their heritage than Italians.  Misguided as that may be. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, TerryFolds said:

Reductions in the scouting staff and various management positions. It's all good, though, because Kimmy needs her yacht!

There were no staff reductions pre pandemic.   If I’m wrong, tell me what and when they were.

6 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

So Terry's deep pockets are a problem?  I can get behind that too.  Skinner and Hall took advantage. 

Clarification: You currently can't pay quality players, who would actually improve our team, enough to come here.  We'll see how the coaching search goes.

You can't pay two guys $20 million to be on your team. It totally unbalances the rest of the team's salary structure. To me, the only way to accumulate talent in a significant way on a team is to have the star players go on hometown discounts. Look at the Aves. Otherwise you get a Sabres team like Hasek's, where his huge salary lowered the salaries for the rest of the team and prevented higher priced players from coming here. A team has to be in balance.

42 minutes ago, inkman said:

I know why people keep mentioning the stupid boat but it seems like misguided criticism.  Are rich people supposed to not do rich people stuff?  I would be.  

They kinda brought it on themselves. It's just really bad optics to be talking about maintaining your lifestyle, while the world was getting laid off and you were playing a part in that, by laying off the very people who are supposed to help you make your crappy team better.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, Kong said:

You can't pay two guys $20 million to be on your team. It totally unbalances the rest of the team's salary structure. To me, the only way to accumulate talent in a significant way on a team is to have the star players go on hometown discounts. Look at the Aves. Otherwise you get a Sabres team like Hasek's, where his huge salary lowered the salaries for the rest of the team and prevented higher priced players from coming here. A team has to be in balance.

Which Av signed a hometown discount? MacKinnon did not, he signed a fair deal and then exploded after. 

16 minutes ago, Kong said:

Of course it’s always helpful when good players are on good contracts, but the top heavy Golden Knights just beat the Avs.

Vegas has 2 guys making $18.3M and their top 4 salaries combine for $32.3M against the cap.

Montreal is paying $14.9M just on goaltending.

1 hour ago, inkman said:

I don’t know a single Italian person who refers to themselves as anything other than Italian first.  No culture is more proud of their heritage than Italians.  Misguided as that may be. 

Circular logic is circular.

Listen, when Eleven and I agree on something, turn out the lights and drive safely, everybody.

7 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Can we stop calling Terry a deep pocketed owner?  First of all, those deep pockets only pertain to his family's lifestyle, not the Sabres.  2nd of all, it doesn't matter.  By his own design, his pockets are much shallower than they used to be and now the franchise is so bad that no one wants to come here.

We have a saying over here that seems apt... he has deep pockets and short arms.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Radar said:

A bloated staff on a last place team. Glad he gutted a bloated ineffective scouting department. That's not penny pinching it's just smart. So sick of taking any stretch of facts to just bash people. There's several posters who aren't here to discuss hockey or our team but only to crusade against the owners. We've heard it over and over a drumbeat that with me has lost any effect. I've been critical of ownership myself but don't need to make things up.

You don't have to make it up.  Just watch them.  Really just need to say two things:

1.  Decade and counting

2. Worst owners in sports

It's the ultimate "Because Buffalo" that we settle for, and constantly make excuses for, the worst owners this franchise has ever seen because of unfounded fear.  Yes, they're worse than the Rigas family.  At least we had good hockey to watch for the most part.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

You don't have to make it up.  Just watch them.  Really just need to say two things:

1.  Decade and counting

2. Worst owners in sports

It's the ultimate "Because Buffalo" that we settle for, and constantly make excuses for, the worst owners this franchise has ever seen because of unfounded fear.  Yes, they're worse than the Rigas family.  At least we had good hockey to watch for the most part.

I know!  I’m sick of everyone here constantly making excuses for the Pegulas and saying how great they are.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

They kinda brought it on themselves. It's just really bad optics to be talking about maintaining your lifestyle, while the world was getting laid off and you were playing a part in that, by laying off the very people who are supposed to help you make your crappy team better.

Yeah they’ve always stepped in a big pile of doo doo when they say things publicly.  It is nauseating in every Sabres Twitter thread, there is at least one butthole that has to bring up the boat. Let. It. Go.  

4 hours ago, inkman said:

That's not true. I identify as a Sicilian. In my value system if you do me wrong or don't show me enough respect it is acceptable to shoot you. Honor has to be upheld. ☠️

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

They have had legions of supporters up until recently. And I heard from every last one of them.

Eh, I think there have been a lot more critics than supporters for a long time.

You just attract the supporters.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Curt said:

There were no staff reductions pre pandemic.   If I’m wrong, tell me what and when they were.

I thought the Pegulas downsized non-player staff before the pandemic. Because I can't find proof of this online, I'll retract my statement. Apparently last year's purge seems like several years ago to my middle-aged brain. The past 10 years of Sabres hockey have become a giant blur to me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.