Gallant hired by the Rags

GASabresIUFAN

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I think there are very few coaches looking for HC jobs who turn down interviews.  Almost all of them want to work, especially for a deep pocketed owner, and even if other teams have shown interest, that’s not the same as having a job.

Can we stop calling Terry a deep pocketed owner?  First of all, those deep pockets only pertain to his family's lifestyle, not the Sabres.  2nd of all, it doesn't matter.  By his own design, his pockets are much shallower than they used to be and now the franchise is so bad that no one wants to come here.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thwomp! said:

Can we stop calling Terry a deep pocketed owner?  First of all, those deep pockets only pertain to his family's lifestyle, not the Sabres.  2nd of all, it doesn't matter.  By his own design, his pockets are much shallower than they used to be and now the franchise is so bad that no one wants to come here.

We literally signed the top free agent in 2 of the last 3 years. Just because Skinner and Hall didn't work out is irrelevant as it is clear players will come here. 

If you are building your team in UFA, you have already lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

We literally signed the top free agent in 2 of the last 3 years. Just because Skinner and Hall didn't work out is irrelevant as it is clear players will come here. 

If you are building your team in UFA, you have already lost. 

So Terry's deep pockets are a problem?  I can get behind that too.  Skinner and Hall took advantage. 

Clarification: You currently can't pay quality players, who would actually improve our team, enough to come here.  We'll see how the coaching search goes.

5 minutes ago, Thwomp! said:

So Terry's deep pockets are a problem?  I can get behind that too.  Skinner and Hall took advantage. 

Clarification: You currently can't pay quality players, who would actually improve our team, enough to come here.  We'll see how the coaching search goes.

The list of useful UFAs is small and they always get overpaid because of it. I think Terry and Kim have run this team like crap too but it isn't because UFAs won't come here. 

If you are building your team by paying 29yr olds millions for 5-7 years, you have already screwed up. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The list of useful UFAs is small and they always get overpaid because of it. I think Terry and Kim have run this team like crap too but it isn't because UFAs won't come here. 

If you are building your team by paying 29yr olds millions for 5-7 years, you have already screwed up. 

Yep!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

I don't think you're accurate in this assessment.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thwomp! said:

They have noticeably pulled the purse strings tight for the last 2-3 years.  It was in full swing by the time COVID hit.  

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, inkman said:

They have noticeably pulled the purse strings tight for the last 2-3 years.  It was in full swing by the time COVID hit.  

What steps did they take to reduce spending on the Sabres pre-pandemic?  I don’t recall any changes more than 12 months ago.

• Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Sorry, not sorry.

But was I incorrect in my assessment?

Yes. It's very hard to ascribe motive to posts.

I never made the connection between Meatballs and this idea that Don is Italian, which he isn't. I'm really not up for a bunch of Italian stereotypes for the next x months (where x=the number of months Don is coach).

"What are ya?" is a very dated, post-World War II kind of way of looking at America.

Edited by PASabreFan

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Only if they are self centered money grabbing losers and you open up the vault for them. 

When was the last time you ever heard a player say they love being here and would take a pay cut to stay? I certainly don't remember it. 

40 minutes ago, TerryFolds said:

Reductions in the scouting staff and various management positions. It's all good, though, because Kimmy needs her yacht!

A bloated staff on a last place team. Glad he gutted a bloated ineffective scouting department. That's not penny pinching it's just smart. So sick of taking any stretch of facts to just bash people. There's several posters who aren't here to discuss hockey or our team but only to crusade against the owners. We've heard it over and over a drumbeat that with me has lost any effect. I've been critical of ownership myself but don't need to make things up.

49 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Yes. It's very hard to ascribe motive to posts.

I never made the connection between Meatballs and this idea that Don is Italian, which he isn't. I'm really not up for a bunch of Italian stereotypes for the next x months (where x=the number of months Don is coach).

"What are ya?" is a very dated, post-World War II kind of way of looking at America.

You're saying Granato is not an Italian surname?  What makes you think that?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.