2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

On 6/1/2021 at 9:40 PM, Eleven said:

Montreal is not "built for the playoffs."  Montreal has Carey Price.  That team isn't going to beat freaking Winnipeg (as you say) because Hellebyuck is better than Price.  And that's it.  And whichever one comes out of it is going to face a reckoning from a team that IS built for the playoffs.

They also have that other key to winning in the playoff ... a shutdown D that eats minutes like a machine.  Weber is still one of the best.  I know you are / were a big PK guy, but that is one of the best trades ever in the HHL.

MUST WIN!!

GO HABS!!

@Ducky, I was only joking about the frozen tundra.  Stay cool and hydrated.  35+ is not pleasant atoll.

26 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

They also have that other key to winning in the playoff ... a shutdown D that eats minutes like a machine.  Weber is still one of the best.  I know you are / were a big PK guy, but that is one of the best trades ever in the HHL.

MUST WIN!!

GO HABS!!

@Ducky, I was only joking about the frozen tundra.  Stay cool and hydrated.  35+ is not pleasant atoll.

I'm rooting for the Habs, but I don't see them getting out of the third round.  

And last night's game was a snoozer.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

MUST WIN!!

GO HABS

When Montreal traded PK for Weber I thought that they were making a big mistake because of the age differential. As it turned out they got a rock of a player who is still playing at a high level (as you noted) and Jersey ended up with a player who is more into flash on and off the ice. Montreal has a lot of young players on its roster. Weber's mature presence is a good example for these young players to follow. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, JohnC said:

When Montreal traded PK for Weber I thought that they were making a big mistake because of the age differential. As it turned out they got a rock of a player who is still playing at a high level (as you noted) and Jersey ended up with a player who is more into flash on and off the ice. Montreal has a lot of young players on its roster. Weber's mature presence is a good example for these young players to follow. 

Very true on Weber.

I’m actually surprised PK has IMO, plateaued or even taken a step down from his MTL days. I thought he would be a prime Doughty/Burns type for years and years. He’s not at that level at all. For what he brings now, PK is overpaid. Maybe not “Skinner level” overpaid, but in the neighborhood. Good thing he only has one year left in that obnoxious contract. After next season I can’t see PK getting more than 4 - 5 mil. per on future contracts.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm rooting for the Habs, but I don't see them getting out of the third round.  

And last night's game was a snoozer.

Perfect playoff hockey game by the Habs and almost as good by the Jets. 

The Habs will likely play Colorado next, if I am not mistaken.  Good luck to them on that.  I have the Avs winning the cup, with MacKinnon (!! 😎) as MVP.

22 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The PK trade was to Nashville for Weber.  PK was then traded (I believe) to NJ.  Weber was the best player in the victory over The Great Satan. Sure Price was Priceless too.  Both will play big roles (already have) in likely beating the Jets.  Watch out against Colorado, though.

10 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Very true on Weber.

I’m actually surprised PK has IMO, plateaued or even taken a step down from his MTL days. I thought he would be a prime Doughty/Burns type for years and years. He’s not at that level at all. For what he brings now, PK is overpaid. Maybe not “Skinner level” overpaid, but in the neighborhood. Good thing he only has one year left in that obnoxious contract. After next season I can’t see PK getting more than 4 - 5 mil. per on future contracts.

PK is still a very good player, IMO, but he is not in the same spotlight as he was in the real 'hockey heaven' of Montreal.  His style of play leads to a downturn in skill level before it happens to a player like Weber.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

MUST WIN!!

GO HABS!!

38C (100.4F) (before humidex) yesterday and almost as hot today. Going down to low 80s tomorrow. Going to plant my tomatoes this evening if I am up to it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The PK trade was to Nashville for Weber.  PK was then traded (I believe) to NJ.  Weber was the best player in the victory over The Great Satan. Sure Price was Priceless too.  Both will play big roles (already have) in likely beating the Jets.  Watch out against Colorado, though.

Thanks for the clarification of the original deal. 

I may be wrong because it is difficult to discern motivation. But I think that the uniquely talented PK got caught up in the star persona and self-promotion trap. And much of that self-marketing effort didn't endear him to his teammates. 

I didn't watch the series but trust your opinion Weber being the best player on the ice in the Toronto series. But as good as his play is and can be measured in stats he is also a  "glue guy and presence" whose contribution can't be measured by stats alone. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/3/2021 at 7:20 PM, Claude Balls said:

Wow.  Due to my retirement festivities I missed this and a few days of games.  Just saw the hit and heard Scheifele’s interview.   He came off as a good young man and his track record is indeed as clean as a whistle.  I get the rule and the leagues interpretation of it.  Four games seems excessive.   I guess we need to be teaching a poke check in that case?    

I don’t see a dirty hit but the result of the hit was really bad.   Unfortunate result for Evans and I wish him a speedy recovery.  

Would like a way to deal with the internet keyboard warriors that are harassing the Scheifele family.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

How does a 5 minute/game misconduct spear to the nut sack, get reduced to a 2 min minor??? League is a Boston loving joke. That was pathetic. Boston can do whatever they want. It's disgusting.

And tough guy Taylor Hall can go ***** himself. I wish Mayfield woulda knocked him the ***** out. My God I ***** despise Boston and the ***** they get away with. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

How does a 5 minute/game misconduct spear to the nut sack, get reduced to a 2 min minor??? League is a Boston loving joke. That was pathetic. Boston can do whatever they want. It's disgusting.

And tough guy Taylor Hall can go ***** himself. I wish Mayfield woulda knocked him the ***** out. My God I ***** despise Boston and the ***** they get away with. 

Actually hilarious. "Wasn't spearing? He only took a shot at his nuts? 2 mins"

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Wow.  Due to my retirement festivities I missed this and a few days of games.  Just saw the hit and heard Scheifele’s interview.   He came off as a good young man and his track record is indeed as clean as a whistle.  I get the rule and the leagues interpretation of it.  Four games seems excessive.   I guess we need to be teaching a poke check in that case?    

I don’t see a dirty hit but the result of the hit was really bad.   Unfortunate result for Evans and I wish him a speedy recovery.  

Would like a way to deal with the internet keyboard warriors that are harassing the Scheifele family.  

Yeah, the threats to Scheifele's family are pathetic. I thought in the great white north "that's just hockey".

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.