2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

I heard someone on the radio talking about how another major hockey organization - the IIHF? - has a rule that prohibits checks on players with whom you're not presently engaged, or something like that. I wonder if that sort of rule will come to the NHL.

I know that many heads would ahs-plode if that occurred.

26 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Again, I’ll wait to see if he’s really hurt. Remember the Bruin that got carted of the ice leading to a suspension for the Vancouver player, only to play in the very next game?

Vaguely. Refresh my memory?

Edit - Link?😜

9 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I heard someone on the radio talking about how another major hockey organization - the IIHF? - has a rule that prohibits checks on players with whom you're not presently engaged, or something like that. I wonder if that sort of rule will come to the NHL.

I know that many heads would ahs-plode if that occurred.

Better figurative than literal innit 

Edited by Thorny
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Vaguely. Refresh my memory?

Edit - Link?😜

Better figurative than literal innit 

Rome’s hit on Horton in the finals. Another BS call. If the jerseys were reversed, all the announcers would be pleasuring themselves while touting “big bad Bruin hockey...”

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Rome’s hit on Horton in the finals. Another BS call. If the jerseys were reversed, all the announcers would be pleasuring themselves while touting “big bad Bruin hockey...”

Horton was faking? Guy had SERIOUS head issues 

I also remember seeing Paul Kariya get clean knocked out by Scott Stevens, literally gasp "back to life", come back unfathomably and score a goal, and it being an incredible moment.  But that would NEVER happen today, nor should it.  

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He played later in the series, no?

I'm not sure

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Thorny said:

Nah, it took him 3 months to even get back on the ice apparently 

See edit.

So, now we are asking players to consider the injury history of the player they are about to check, and dial in the force of those hits accordingly?

Basing the punishment on the result is absolutely ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

See edit.

So, now we are asking players to consider the injury history of the player they are about to check, and dial in the force of those hits accordingly?

Basing the punishment on the result is absolutely ridiculous.

I agree with this. 

But it's more ridiculous, IMO, to not enact punishment when there is a result, AND an infraction

the lesser of two weaviles 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with this. 

But it's more ridiculous, IMO, to not enact punishment when there is a result, AND an infraction

Again, I didn’t think it was a charge.

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

And if he didn’t already have a cracked peanut, we wouldn’t even be talking about this.

"Charging is a penalty in ice hockey. Rule 42 of the NHL rulebook dictates that charging "shall mean the actions of a player or goalkeeper who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A 'charge' may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."[1] The infraction may warrant any severity of penalty or combination of penalties as the officials deem fit, including a major plus a game misconduct, or suspension if the infraction results in injury to the opposing player."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charging_(ice_hockey)

Frankly, I'd just like to commend Ehlers for trying to fend off the morons who always want to fight right next to the helpless player on the ice.  Falling on him, stepping on him with skates.. all kinds of things can go bad there.  Ehlers has his arms out protecting Evans from what could be even worse.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree with this. 

I don’t think the resulting injury should ever play a part in punishment, ever.

A penalty is a penalty because it’s a penalty, not because a guy might have a prior injury history.

• Like (+1) 2

The definitions are all well and good, but the fact that Scheifele stops moving his feet like 20 feet from Evans and basically coasts into him is what is going to give him the benefit of the doubt on whether or not it's a charge. You're usually only going to get a charging call if you're still skating hard right before contact.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, darksabre said:

The definitions are all well and good, but the fact that Scheifele stops moving his feet like 20 feet from Evans and basically coasts into him is what is going to give him the benefit of the doubt on whether or not it's a charge. You're usually only going to get a charging call if you're still skating hard right before contact.

Lucic didn’t get a penalty for almost the exact hit on Miller.

Just sayin.

And there was a resulting injury.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Hit to the head no, charging and unnecessary yup... and very dangerous... McCabe got what for hit on Laine... two games? Gonna be interesting

did he get suspended?

serious question.

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

There's so much context, too. Scheifele was rankled all game, for those who watched, he had even taken a roughly penalty beforehand for wailing on a guy lying on the ice. You said it - the reason that play is outlawed is because it's too dangerous. They've made the decision that to skate the full length of the ice before laying into someone is a violation of the rules. Think UFC, where you can kick a guy in the head at any time, but you can't kick a guy in the head if he's on a knee - sometimes the context of the physicality is what's outlawed.

He wouldn't have gotten kicked out of the game if Evans bounced back up? Ok? He didn't, though. Scheifele made his choice - if the guy gets hurt on the play the NHL is going to enforce their rule - that's the way it works any everyone knows it. I'd argue it should be enforced regardless, but two wrongs don't make a right - Scheifele doesn't get off because they've failed to properly enforce the rule in other situations. 

For wailing on a guy...not very biased are you?

Chiarot took him down backwards by the neck and when 55 retaliated, only he got a penalty.

Keep your head up, it's the big leagues.

Edited by Ducky

5 minutes ago, Ducky said:

did he get suspended?

serious question.

For wailing on a guy...not very biased are you?

Chiarot took him down backwards by the neck and when 55 retaliated, only he got a penalty.

Keep your head up, it's the big leagues.

Want in on the charity wager? Can't remember if you said you thought he would get suspended or not, but if you want in..

Edited by Thorny

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Want in on the charity wager? Can't remember if you said you thought he would get suspended or not, but if you want in..

DOPS isn't NEAR consistent enough for me to bet on. I like betting on sure things.

I said I couldn't tell if it was a head shot and still don't know. 

I do know that Evans didn't even put his head up once. You don't think he should have taken a look around? It is one of the first things you are taught. It's kinda like driving a motorcycle...you should be aware of your surroundings at all times. 

I think if he kept skating, he would have had a really good chance at preventing that goal. It certainly will be interesting to see what happens after certain repeat offenders have been acting up and getting away REALLY easy. 

Scheif is not a dirty player and anybody that tells you that needs an opthamologist. Doesn't have a history of it at all and most Jets' fans wish he would use his size in a more physical way. 

Like I said previously, losing DeMelo is huge and puts us at a real disadvantage. Losing your best defensive-minded D man on that corps hurts. Typical Jets won't say boo about Stastny either. Him not playing came totally out of the blue. I said tied 2-2 after 4 and the Jets in 6 before the series began but...

I saw somewhere in the last whatever years there have only been 5 instances where a team that swept the last series and played against a team that just went 7.

The team that went 7 won every time...Col and WPG are doing it right now. It doesn't happen that often.

3 minutes ago, Ducky said:

DOPS isn't NEAR consistent enough for me to bet on. I like betting on sure things.

I said I couldn't tell if it was a head shot and still don't know. 

I do know that Evans didn't even put his head up once. You don't think he should have taken a look around? It is one of the first things you are taught. It's kinda like driving a motorcycle...you should be aware of your surroundings at all times. 

I think if he kept skating, he would have had a really good chance at preventing that goal. It certainly will be interesting to see what happens after certain repeat offenders have been acting up and getting away REALLY easy. 

Scheif is not a dirty player and anybody that tells you that needs an opthamologist. Doesn't have a history of it at all and most Jets' fans wish he would use his size in a more physical way. 

Like I said previously, losing DeMelo is huge and puts us at a real disadvantage. Losing your best defensive-minded D man on that corps hurts. Typical Jets won't say boo about Stastny either. Him not playing came totally out of the blue. I said tied 2-2 after 4 and the Jets in 6 before the series began but...

I saw somewhere in the last whatever years there have only been 5 instances where a team that swept the last series and played against a team that just went 7.

The team that went 7 won every time...Col and WPG are doing it right now. It doesn't happen that often.

Live dangerously. 

What would you give him if you were the DOPS?

I did have Montreal beating the Jets on here FYI but I had them losing game 1. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.