2021 NHL Playoffs 2nd Round

Norcal

12 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

It was a hard hit, hockey is a violent game.   Scheifele has no previous history.    1 game tops.

This is where the other lowball suspensions comes to bite the NHL back in the ass.   This should be 5 games easy as a first time offender even.

He is just playing the body and not the puck, all intent was to finish the check.

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Holy ####.  Scheifele nearly killed Evans.

Can't see how that doesn't end up a suspension.  Scheifele was flying trying to catch him and then just drove through him at full speed.

He was unhinged well before that play, too.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Given the speed and strength of the modern player and game, the Scheifele hit can't be treated/coached as legal or even on-the-edge-desirable. There's no longer any place for it, IMO. I agree with the Tweet that @Thorny embedded upthread -- going that sort of distance to obliterate a guy is reckless and irresponsible.

Not for nothing, if Schiefele had actually been intent on preventing the goal, there was, I think, a better way to defend the play (stretching/laying out with your stick, attacking the puck). It looked very much like Scheifele figured he was getting a free shot to send a big message in a long playoff series. That stuff's gotta go.

From the comments to the Tweet above. I think this is exactly right.

Laying out for the stick check takes him head first into the end boards or the pipe. I don't love the thought of that either.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He was unhinged well before that play, too.

This is what I was saying. If you were watching the game...there's no doubt in my mind that hit was about the Series and not the play. He meant to blow him the f*ck up.

Even the Winnipeg guys here were like, "Scheifele is rattled, Scheifele is rattled" leading up to the play. Reckless. 

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

This is what I was saying. If you were watching the game...there's no doubt in my mind that hit was about the Series and not the play. He meant to blow him the f*ck up.

Even the Winnipeg guys here were like, "Scheifele is rattled, Scheifele is rattled" leading up to the play. Reckless. 

Absolutely. No one disagrees with this. Good on him for thinking about the series.

The question is, would there be a suspension if the guy didn’t get hurt? If the answer is no, then there should be no suspension. Punishment based on the result is one of the most ridiculous things the NHL does.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Absolutely. No one disagrees with this. Good on him for thinking about the series.

The question is, would there be a suspension if the guy didn’t get hurt? If the answer is no, then there should be no suspension. Punishment based on the result is one of the most ridiculous things the NHL does.

It's based on the result, if a rule was broken in the process, which it was. 

By all means continuing ignoring the rule because you don't like it

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It's based on the result, if a rule was broken in the process, which it was. 

By all means continuing ignoring the rule because you don't like it

He stopped skating at the top of the circle. Charging was a bs call. If you are not allowed to hit that hard, which it looks like you are not, the call should have been roughing. They didn’t even get that right.

Edited by SwampD
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Thorny said:

He seemingly tried to kick through the penalty box door just minutes beforehand.

Of course he *should* be suspended.  The question is whether the NHL will enforce its rules in the absence of an injury to Evans (and we don't know whether he can play). 

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He stopped skating at the top of the circle. Charging was a bs call. If you are not allowed to hit that hard, which it looks like you are not, the call should have been roughing. They didn’t even get that right.

You cannot travel the entire distance of the rink at speed and hit somebody, that's the rule

• Thanks (+1) 1

The charging rule doesn't speak only of strides, it speaks specifically of Distance, as well 

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

The rule book defines charging as involving distance traveled, not when you stop skating. Scheifele had ~175 feet prior to that to build up speed.

^

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You cannot travel the entire distance of the rink at speed and hit somebody, that's the rule

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

The rule book defines charging as involving distance traveled, not when you stop skating. Scheifele had ~175 feet prior to that to build up speed.

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The charging rule doesn't speak only of strides, it speaks specifically of Distance, as well 

^

This is Bs. Guys get hit after skating the entire length Ice all the time. Skating the length of the ice is how a player backchecks. They do it every shift.

He was backchecking. He was late to stop the goal. Then he hit him. It was the severity of the hit that is the is the issue here (and only because he got hurt), not the distance traveled, IMO.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, SwampD said:

This is Bs. Guys get hit after skating the entire length Ice all the time. Skating the length of the ice is how a player backchecks. They do it every shift.

He was backchecking. He was late to stop the goal. Then he hit him. It was the severity of the hit that is the is the issue here (and only because he got hurt), not the distance traveled, IMO.

Link?

The distance he travelled is specifically relevant to the severity of the hit, btw

Edited by Thorny

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I gladly accept your concession 

I just did a needle drop on two random games and found instances of a guy making a hit directly after skating the length of the ice on a back check. I didn’t really even have to try.

You don’t like the hit. I do. You think he should be suspended. I don’t. I’m fine with that.

What will be interesting is if it becomes a distraction for Montreal, in which case it will have been a good hockey play.

2 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I just did a needle drop on two random games and found instances of a guy making a hit directly after skating the length of the ice on a back check. I didn’t really even have to try.

You don’t like the hit. I do. You think he should be suspended. I don’t. I’m fine with that.

What will be interesting is if it becomes a distraction for Montreal, in which case it will have been a good hockey play.

Link?

Also your last sentence sorta represents a good microcosm of how we differ on this. I think we just don't see Hockey eye-to-eye. A play that breaks the rules and leaves a guy seriously concussed isn't a "good" hockey play to me, however you dice it. 

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Link?

Also your last sentence sorta represents a good microcosm of how we differ on this. I think we just don't see Hockey eye-to-eye. A play that breaks the rules and leaves a guy seriously concussed isn't a "good" hockey play to me, however you dice it. 

Again, I’ll wait to see if he’s really hurt. Remember the Bruin that got carted of the ice leading to a suspension for the Vancouver player, only to play in the very next game?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.