Dahlin, is he good or bad?

LGR4GM

Krueger sucked as a coach. He was terrible and no stat shows that more than this

Krueger’s system was certainly simplistic, somewhat passive, and was designed to play a low-event style of hockey. The defensemen were not very involved on the attack in this system, which led to Dahlin’s transition plays per 60 dropping from 7.2 in 2018/19 to just 3.2 in 2019/20. One could argue that the lack of puck touches and neutral zone involvement could have played a role in the destruction of his confidence. https://eprinkside.com/2021/05/28/a-review-of-the-buffalo-sabres-2020-21-season-and-where-they-go-from-here

That said is Dahlin good or bad? He has had 3 seasons, 2 under a complete luddite in terms of how offense is created. He's show flashes and even games of being an absolute monster. Towards the end of the year under Granato there were several plays where Dahlin was just an absolute animal and actually looked like SHL Dahlin. His game is predicated on getting the puck and SKATING it out of his own zone, creating utter chaos through the neutral zone and then being a reliable option on the point to take the puck and SKATE into high danger areas. He lacks explosiveness in his short game but overall his skating is very good and his agility is elite.

So do we think Dahlin just needed to struggle and learn and develop his style of play, or does he suck. 

Edited by LGR4GM

I think it's the development. He has tremendous skill and with proper coaches and adjusting his game to the NHL he can be a top defenceman. But he has to be able to use his natural skills and not be coached to be something he's not. No way is he a bust.

• Like (+1) 4

Granato will put the offensive snarl back in to him.

Granato for President!!! 😛

10 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

I sure as hell hope not.

If Eichel gets traded and Dahlin ends up a bust I'm not sure I could ever get excited again about the Sabres possibly drafting a highly touted player.

Oh, they draft them, then, they destroy their love of the game.... 😉

3 hours ago, Weave said:

Why does it have to be does he suck? Too much hyperbole.  

I think it is fair to say that parts of his game are pretty rough and need attention.

Why does sucking have to suck? Sometimes sucking doesn’t suck. In fact, sometimes sucking is the opposite of sucking. Moreover, sometimes sucking is good.

1 minute ago, Hoss said:

Why does sucking have to suck? Sometimes sucking doesn’t suck. In fact, sometimes sucking is the opposite of sucking. Moreover, sometimes sucking is good.

This is how Dr.Seuss conveys he wants a blow - job

Edited by WildCard
  • Haha (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Weave said:

Why does it have to be does he suck? Too much hyperbole.  

I think it is fair to say that parts of his game are pretty rough and need attention.

That's it. Like most high draft Sabre defensemen, rushed along and not developed properly. Bad habits stay. His strengths are obvious, and his weaknesses still need a lot of work. 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

He is very good, but unless something gives there is a real danger that he will be wasted by the Sabres.

The time has come to build this team around Dahlin, just as the Islanders did around Potvin.

I don't understand the notion of building the team around Dahlin, or any particular player. If you want to build a roster that wins then the best approach is to build a well-balanced roster, including the forwards and the goaltending. Most cup contending teams have 2-4 top shelf players that consume much of the cap with the rest of the roster money going towards players who support your core players. 

There is no doubt that Dahlin is one of the most talented players on the roster. But an elite performing goaltender who is capable of handling a heavy workload is more influential toward winning than an talented offensive minded defenseman. 

Jack is not only our best player (when healthy) but also our most dominant player. His elite skills have been squandered because there isn't enough talent spread around the roster to support him. 

I understand what you are saying so I'm not saying you are completely off the mark. For me Dahlin is a special talent to the point that I consider him a "no touch" player. But the Sabres still need many upgrades to become a serious team. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't understand the notion of building the team around Dahlin, or any particular player. If you want to build a roster that wins then the best approach is to build a well-balanced roster, including the forwards and the goaltending. Most cup contending teams have 2-4 top shelf players that consume much of the cap with the rest of the roster money going towards players who support your core players. 

There is no doubt that Dahlin is one of the most talented players on the roster. But an elite performing goaltender who is capable of handling a heavy workload is more influential toward winning than an talented offensive minded defenseman. 

Jack is not only our best player (when healthy) but also our most dominant player. His elite skills have been squandered because there isn't enough talent spread around the roster to support him. 

I understand what you are saying so I'm not saying you are completely off the mark. For me Dahlin is a special talent to the point that I consider him a "no touch" player. But the Sabres still need many upgrades to become a serious team. 

You and I are basically saying the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Hoss said:

Would you say this described Pionk? 😉 

Not really.

Pionk is best partnered with a D first player as well. That is why Maurice pairs him with boat anchor people call Forbort.

Dylan DeMelo would be a good pairing if I am thinking about someone from the Jets.

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Jack was also awful under Krueger. Coaching can destroy any player 

On 5/28/2021 at 5:53 PM, Hoss said:

Did I hack Hoss’s account during my nap?  

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/28/2021 at 12:45 PM, LGR4GM said:

Krueger sucked as a coach. He was terrible and no stat shows that more than this

That said is Dahlin good or bad? He has had 3 seasons, 2 under a complete luddite in terms of how offense is created. He's show flashes and even games of being an absolute monster. Towards the end of the year under Granato there were several plays where Dahlin was just an absolute animal and actually looked like SHL Dahlin. His game is predicated on getting the puck and SKATING it out of his own zone, creating utter chaos through the neutral zone and then being a reliable option on the point to take the puck and SKATE into high danger areas. He lacks explosiveness in his short game but overall his skating is very good and his agility is elite.

So do we think Dahlin just needed to struggle and learn and develop his style of play, or does he suck. 

I’m kind of in disbelief that it was you who started this thread.  Not sure how great he’ll ever be as the league is really transitioning to a speed game, which he lands squarely at average.  He does have unparalleled skills, which when used properly, make him a difference maker. He just needs to work on decision making.  I attribute much of his follies to Ralph, who tried turning a Ferrari into a Peter-built.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.