Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

Keep Granato at HC, hire Gronborg to be his associate coach and then find a former NHL head coach who is without a job to be his assistant. Perhaps make Girardi an assistant; but I think he and Ellis would do better at being development coaches.

Then we’d have a guy who has already connected with many players in Granato, a seasoned former HC to bounce ideas off and a innovative guy from Europe to give further ideas.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Gallant is my personal favorite but he may just not be interested in this job.

Money and term (and maybe a little control over personnel) and anybody's interested. Those guys love building something from nothing, but you need to give them a little freedom and security. Pegulas won't be willing to make that sort of commitment so its a moot point but I would if it was my team. 

16 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Gronborg.jpg

If anyone can do it it will be Rikard. He has the tools to coach on NHL level, he has been living in the us for 20 years and has the experiance required to succeed with elite players.

But most likely this wont happen, this org is to keen to hire trash, aslong as they are mediatrained.

Edit: I also believe that Rikard is the one that can make Jack take the leap to become the captain he should've been already.

I know they are different nationalities, but am I the only one who thinks Gronberg could be Risto’s father?  Strong resemblance, or am I out to lunch?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Gronborg is so damn good getting under the skin of the "enemy" coach, here is a clip from 2 months ago in the playoffs in the swiss league. They are both rly good coaches imo and the other guy is screaming to Gronborg that he is a f-cking ret-rd etc, they both ended up with a coup of coffee after the game though but yea..

Gronborg did the same with the headcoach of russia,

Honestly, this is surprisingly important for me. A huge part of hockey (and most sports) is intimidation. I don't need constant histrionics pr "old school" (like Torts) or Lou-Piniella's-throwing-second-base...again, but I do need a coach who is going to rile the other team on occasion, who's knows how to dig/probe and needle people when necessary, be they at the team, local, media, or national level. And I need a coach who isn't afraid to send out a line for retribution if that's what he or she feels is necessary. Our recent coaches, like our team, have been pushovers. An opposition push has be met with resistance, and that's at the coach level, as well.

Edit: The fear is that a coach with moxie will not make our owners feel safe and comfy, so they'll pass.

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Keep Granato at HC, hire Gronborg to be his associate coach and then find a former NHL head coach who is without a job to be his assistant. Perhaps make Girardi an assistant; but I think he and Ellis would do better at being development coaches.

Then we’d have a guy who has already connected with many players in Granato, a seasoned former HC to bounce ideas off and a innovative guy from Europe to give further ideas.

I'd love to retain Granato as the forward coach, but I'm pretty sure he's on the record as wanting to coach. Doesn't matter what level, he wants to be the HC. And that's cool. If he's not ours, then we've got to let him mosey.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Where does euro hockey come from? Sorry but you are wrong in this one because you just dont know or care enough about Rikard Gronborg, and u know im right about that.

He is not a "euro" coach and that is why he has been successful, because he coach like you do in nhl, he just mixes the experiance he has from "both" to be able to get as much as possible out of the current team he is responsible for.

Listen, i wont argue with you on this one, all im saying is that please research Rikard more.

It's possible, but I'm just losing my patience with this team. I want a guy I know for sure can win in the NHL not a guy who maybe can win in the NHL.

I want a situation where I can check things off the list so we can move on to fix other things. Like the RK thing, too many people just think all we need is a new coach and it's all fixed. I want a situation where we know for sure it's not the coach and then everyone will know these players are a bunch of crap once and for all (especially if we don't trade the "core"). 

So 1. get an established good coach and implement the proven system 2. Get a goalie 3. Either start winning there, or start getting different players. In that order. 

My mind's pretty much made up on some of these players, but with a good coach I'd be willing to give them a final chance. 

If Rikard doesn't win, in 2 years we're right back where we were. Or rather you will be, I'll be on a Kraken site. 

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's possible, but I'm just losing my patience with this team. I want a guy I know for sure can win in the NHL not a guy who maybe can win in the NHL.

I want a situation where I can check things off the list so we can move on to fix other things. Like the RK thing, too many people just think all we need is a new coach and it's all fixed. I want a situation where we know for sure it's not the coach and then everyone will know these players are a bunch of crap once and for all (especially if we don't trade the "core"). 

So 1. get an established good coach and implement the proven system 2. Get a goalie 3. Either start winning there, or start getting different players. In that order. 

My mind's pretty much made up on some of these players, but with a good coach I'd be willing to give them a final chance. 

If Rikard doesn't win, in 2 years we're right back where we were. Or rather you will be, I'll be on a Kraken site. 

So, 

We already had this with Dan Bylsma did we not? 

Please take your time and read my thread about Rikard.

9 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

So, 

We already had this with Dan Bylsma did we not? 

Please take your time and read my thread about Rikard.

I did. See that thread. 

Bylsma wasn't as proven as the guys I'm thinking about but we all know he was a second choice and although his hockey was boring, I think he was better than everyone we've had since. Don't think he was wrong, but the roster was pretty weak back then. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

I strenuously disagree with the idea of hiring Granato as the HC and then dictating who his assistants will be. That is a recipe for disaster. I'm a strong advocate for Granato to be the HC. If he is hired then he should have the authority to choose the assistants he is comfortable and compatible with. In addition, if Granato is the selection you wouldn't want subordinates he is not familiar with who might have different philosophies and approaches to handling players. Undercutting a coach with staff members he doesn't want (whoever the coach is) can create a divided staff before the next season begins. The next coach should be able assemble his own staff and be allowed to succeed or fail on his own merits. 

• Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, grinreaper said:

Looks like Kriegsmarine Captain of U-507 that lead a Wolf Pack. 

What Ristolainen will look like in his 50s

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It seems like they are looking for a coach to fit the players rather than bringing in a new idea and building around that. It is doubling down on what is already proven to be a failed idea. 

Eh.  You need the right coach for the situation.  The Sabres don't need a Babcock to put them over the top, they need someone who can build them up.

9 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

But in order to succeed on a national level with a bunch of NHL players, on a short notice with a very stressful schedule you need to be really good at what you do.

See also Krueger with the Swiss National team.  Not a selling point.

6 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I know they are different nationalities, but am I the only one who thinks Gronberg could be Risto’s father?  Strong resemblance, or am I out to lunch?

You beat me to it.

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

What Ristolainen will look like in his 50s

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

See also Krueger with the Swiss National team.  Not a selling point.

What on earth are u on about? Jesus christ.. thats like compairing Connor Mcdavid and Cody eakin, lol.

A ***** sure selling point, go look what Rikard has won and then go compare with Ralph. Just because both have coached on national level doesnt mean they are the same, not even close.

Maybe u had one beer to many 🤣

2 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

What on earth are u on about? Jesus christ.. thats like compairing Connor Mcdavid and Cody eakin, lol.

A ***** sure selling point, go look what Rikard has won and then go compare with Ralph. Just because both have coached on national level doesnt mean they are the same, not even close.

Maybe u had one beer to many 🤣

Honestly, at this point, maybe you're too much of a homer for Swedish products.  I think it makes you blind to other possibilities:  Everything Sweden is great, everything else sucks.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Honestly, at this point, maybe you're too much of a homer for Swedish products.  I think it makes you blind to other possibilities:  Everything Sweden is great, everything else sucks.

Well if we gonna be honest here, what u just said is pathetic. Im done with u, welcome to my ignorelist.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Let us all stop flinging insults at each other about Gronborg and put some objective perspective on him.

Gronborg is a head coach in the Swedish Elite League, so it's not like he has only been an assistant, only coaches the juniors / college / developmental leagues, short tournaments, etc.  He is an experienced, accomplished coach in one of the best pro leagues.

The big problem he has with the Sabres is the Sabres' baggage.  10 years of results from a deliberate tank.  Ralph Kreuger's monumental failure.  Rookie GM.  Unhappy top players.  Eichel's injury.

Thus, in spite of his accomplishments, his lack of head coaching experience in the NHL -- especially knowledge of the players, other coaches, etc. -- makes him a far riskier choice than he ought to be.  How will any cultural differences matter, if at all?  How will his lack of knowledge of the league affect the team?  Can he exploit his different perspective on the game to the Sabres' advantage?  How will he handle the travel, which is positively grueling by comparison?  How will the long season affect him?  How will his he adopt his strategies to the smaller ice surface?  How many other coaches allegedly got invited to B&B 50?  (50th anniversary of the collaboration of Benny and Bjorn of ABBA; I do know that Borje Salming was there, so it's not like they don't know their hockey.)

When I see this, it is crystal clear that he should have been the preferred out-of-the-box choice over Ralph Krueger -- more clear upside and less downside.  Speaking as someone who sees things differently from most, I view his experiences and perspective as largely positive, but they can boomerang and hit us instead.

I share @MODO Hockey's enthusiasm for him, but as a practical matter, I think GMKA has to *really* believe in him to hire him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Should we be concerned Gronborg will come with complicated instructions and one of these?

719EE2E2-F689-4093-A9B8-7C3C2AD06B69.thumb.jpeg.8ccf67f3fca1ee5ce7089a7f276c5953.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Let us all stop flinging insults at each other about Gronborg and put some objective perspective on him.

Gronborg is a head coach in the Swedish Elite League, so it's not like he has only been an assistant, only coaches the juniors / college / developmental leagues, short tournaments, etc.  He is an experienced, accomplished coach in one of the best pro leagues.

The big problem he has with the Sabres is the Sabres' baggage.  10 years of results from a deliberate tank.  Ralph Kreuger's monumental failure.  Rookie GM.  Unhappy top players.  Eichel's injury.

Thus, in spite of his accomplishments, his lack of head coaching experience in the NHL -- especially knowledge of the players, other coaches, etc. -- makes him a far riskier choice than he ought to be.  How will any cultural differences matter, if at all?  How will his lack of knowledge of the league affect the team?  Can he exploit his different perspective on the game to the Sabres' advantage?  How will he handle the travel, which is positively grueling by comparison?  How will the long season affect him?  How will his he adopt his strategies to the smaller ice surface?  How many other coaches allegedly got invited to B&B 50?  (50th anniversary of the collaboration of Benny and Bjorn of ABBA; I do know that Borje Salming was there, so it's not like they don't know their hockey.)

When I see this, it is crystal clear that he should have been the preferred out-of-the-box choice over Ralph Krueger -- more clear upside and less downside.  Speaking as someone who sees things differently from most, I view his experiences and perspective as largely positive, but they can boomerang and hit us instead.

I share @MODO Hockey's enthusiasm for him, but as a practical matter, I think GMKA has to *really* believe in him to hire him.

I agree with most of this post, especially that I wish Gronborg had been hired instead of RK, but he's a coach in the Swiss league, which is a big step down from the Swedish league.  He has not been a HC in the Swedish league or any comparable-or-better league.  (He used to coach the Swedish national team, which may be what you're thinking of.) 

• Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.