Sabres Head Coaching Search

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres Head Coaching Search Gronberg, Tocchet and Boudreau to be Interviewed

oH gReAT aNoTHeR EUro CoAch 

j/k @MODO Hockey

I don't know anything about Gronborgen, but wow, what a head of hair on that guy!    Beard is also perfection.    

After a long run of follically challenged head coaches (Ruff, Bylsma, Housely, Kruger, Granato).... maybe he's the answer?

• Haha (+1) 4

9 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Gronborg.jpg

If anyone can do it it will be Rikard. He has the tools to coach on NHL level, he has been living in the us for 20 years and has the experiance required to succeed with elite players.

But most likely this wont happen, this org is to keen to hire trash, aslong as they are mediatrained.

Edit: I also believe that Rikard is the one that can make Jack take the leap to become the captain he should've been already.

Looks like Kriegsmarine Captain of U-507 that lead a Wolf Pack. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

10 hours ago, MODO Hockey said:

Could anything be worse than what is has been is the question you should ask your self. 

Well yes, sadly, it is still possible to get worse.

It seems like they are looking for a coach to fit the players rather than bringing in a new idea and building around that. It is doubling down on what is already proven to be a failed idea. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

If they end up hiring Gronberg, and he's good, @MODO Hockey is going to be entitled to one of Sabrespace's all-time biggest I-told-you-sos.

If this turns out the way @MODO Hockey said it would, we should carry him on our shoulders behind the Stanley Cup float.

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It seems like they are looking for a coach to fit the players rather than bringing in a new idea and building around that. It is doubling down on what is already proven to be a failed idea. 

I don't think hiring just to fit players is a good idea but could it be one thing amoung other considerations? Absolutely. That's one reason I wouldn't want Torts.

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If Gronborg is so good why doesn't he already have a job? He's been speculated about for years.

It's the same exact thing as Krueger i.e. the narrative is people are afraid to take a chance. While that may be true, maybe it's also true that he's just as bad as Krueger. It's hard to tell, but I don't think it's a risk the Sabres management are going to double down on.

34 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I honestly cant see it beeing worse than the hire of Ralph.

Ralph was hired exactly for the reason you mention, he had an idea, they filmed Ralph walking around the arena like a "god" speaking to staff etc, his vision was mindblowing according to many and everyone bought into his BS.

A fragile, lost and such disabled org as the Buffalo Sabres are in need of a god d@mn saint, is Rikard Gronborg what they need? Yes, i firmly believe so. He is everything Ralph is not, do many agree with me? No.

Not many were convinced Linus Ullmark would be something we wanted to keep when he was introduced to the team. Not many believed me when i said Viktor Olofsson would be the best powerplay weapon this org have seen in a long time, and now not many believe Rikard Gronborg is what this org need. It is what it is.

All im saying without sounding cocky, i bet my life on that if Rikard Gronborg is hired ww will be in the playoffs with him.

• Like (+1) 5

I don't want another coach without NHL experience. We've had our faces rubbed in the dirt with all the inexperience. I want a coach who already knows the tendencies of all the opposing coaches, players and teams. Please no more outside the box hirings and please don't ask the NHL for recommendations. I've never heard of a team asking for the league to recommend a coach or GM. How embarrassing.

1 minute ago, Kong said:

I don't want another coach without NHL experience. We've had our faces rubbed in the dirt with all the inexperience. I want a coach who already knows the tendencies of all the opposing coaches, players and teams. Please no more outside the box hirings and please don't ask the NHL for recommendations. I've never heard of a team asking for the league to recommend a coach or GM. How embarrassing.

Who did sabres hire without nhl experiance as a hc? Enlighten me.

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

If Gronborg is so good why doesn't he already have a job? He's been speculated about for years.

Why didn't European players get a true look in the NHL in general u til Hammarstrom & Salming came along?  

Why is there only 1 Euro trained GM in the league?

For the same reasons: people have assumed there are enough qualified candidates to get the job done sticking with domestic candidates without taking the chance on any cultural differences bollixing everything up.

Would be fine with the Sabres taking a chance on him if they choose to move in that direction.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Radar said:

I don't think hiring just to fit players is a good idea but could it be one thing amoung other considerations? Absolutely. That's one reason I wouldn't want Torts.

Well this is where we fundamentally disagree and that won't change. To me Torts hockey is winning hockey. he gets more out of less. Not many of our players have shown me they have what it takes so I'm ready to move on from almost all of them. 

Others have alluded to this thought, but if we don't fundamentally change and we hire some untried swedish college whoever I think I'm well and truly done. 

If I want Euro hockey I can watch the IIHF..............where a guy named Gallant has once again gotten a bunch of nobodies to play way over their individual abilities, and yet he's not already hired by us, go figure. 

12 minutes ago, WildCard said:

It's the same exact thing as Krueger i.e. the narrative is people are afraid to take a chance. While that may be true, maybe it's also true that he's just as bad as Krueger. It's hard to tell, but I don't think it's a risk the Sabres management are going to double down on.

Ralph has never won jack sh1t, Ralph sat as a chairman for a english soccerteam for 6 years and got hired for his bs visions. Rikard on the other hand has won big, more than once and is a hybrid coach. They are nothing a like my friend, Rikard was on the table same time as Ralph and they bought Ralphs bs unfortunatly.

12 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

I honestly cant see it beeing worse than the hire of Ralph.

Ralph was hired exactly for the reason you mention, he had an idea, they filmed Ralph walking around the arena like a "god" speaking to staff etc, his vision was mindblowing according to many and everyone bought into his BS.

A fragile, lost and such disabled org as the Buffalo Sabres are in need of a god d@mn saint, is Rikard Gronborg what they need? Yes, i firmly believe so. He is everything Ralph is not, do many agree with me? No.

Not many were convinced Linus Ullmark would be something we wanted to keep when he was introduced to the team. Not many believed me when i said Viktor Olofsson would be the best powerplay weapon this org have seen in a long time, and now not many believe Rikard Gronborg is what this org need. It is what it is.

All im saying without sounding cocky, i bet my life on that if Rikard Gronborg is hired ww will be in the playoffs with him.

So what I think you're saying is a guy with MODO in his user name has a pro Swedish slant, what a shock 🙂

You might be right about him, but idk if I want to sit through another season of a coach with his own learning curve. I don't think Euro hockey will work in the playoffs, or even in the second half of the regular season. It's a failed idea imo.    Gallant, on the other hand, knows how to get the most out of his players and he can win in this league. 

4 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Housley. Ralph had barely any.

What? Phil had 4 seasons with Nashville did he not? Ralph 3 seasons with Edmonton.

Experiance, but not as actuall hc, which was what i ment with my question so my bad if my question was not that clear so to speak.

Just now, PerreaultForever said:

So what I think you're saying is a guy with MODO in his user name has a pro Swedish slant, what a shock 🙂

You might be right about him, but idk if I want to sit through another season of a coach with his own learning curve. I don't think Euro hockey will work in the playoffs, or even in the second half of the regular season. It's a failed idea imo.    Gallant, on the other hand, knows how to get the most out of his players and he can win in this league. 

Gallant is my personal favorite but he may just not be interested in this job.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.