Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

5 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Explain for those in the dark? 

Paul Hamilton, who acts like an arse every time he interviews Reinhart & a few others, has done pbp on a very limited basis & by most all accounts did well at it.  Doubt the Sabres players would stand for him replacing RJ &/or Dunleavy.

Mike Harrington, who generally acts like an arse, has not done pbp ttbomk. 

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

Paul Hamilton had done Sabres play by play and is actually quite good at it, but I doubt he’s got the teams good graces right now.

Never heard Hamilton call a game before.  You would think if he had a knack for it he would have tried to hone the skill in the minors or somewhere instead of his wgr55 gig.  

1 hour ago, Broken Ankles said:

Never heard Hamilton call a game before.  You would think if he had a knack for it he would have tried to hone the skill in the minors or somewhere instead of his wgr55 gig.  

That might be the right career move for him.  I heard him call a Sabres game and he was indeed good at it.

Somewhat related:  I listened to a podcast with Dunleavy from a month or so ago and I actually found him quite likable.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

We should do some legwork and try to figure out which good players are going to be exposed in the expansion draft on various stacked teams. I think I saw that Tampa won't be able to protect Cernak. No reason not to go after him if that's the case.

I did a bit of this when I was trying to form an opinion on whom to protect with the defencemen.  That's why I would expose Ristolainen: virtually every available defenceman of his calibre will be cheaper and everyone in his price range who could be available is better.  There literally is no good reason for Seattle to take him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I did a bit of this when I was trying to form an opinion on whom to protect with the defencemen.  That's why I would expose Ristolainen: virtually every available defenceman of his calibre will be cheaper and everyone in his price range who could be available is better.  There literally is no good reason for Seattle to take him.

Unless they want to get to the cap floor and trade him at the deadline. Either way that's fine. 

Friedman: “ I think New Jersey would consider moving the fourth-overall selection for a good, young defenceman.”

Rumors that the Devils were interested in Risto.  DARE TO DREAM PEOPLE!!!!!!!😜😁🤣🤣🤣😂😂

Before the response of “That is not even close value, that would never happen, this is ridiculous.”  THIS IS A JOKE.

Edited by Flashsabre

On 6/18/2021 at 10:15 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

If Jack and Reino are dealt, will we feel  the same way about this off-season as we did the day Drury and Briere left town?

Yeah, I like the idea of holding onto Reinhardt until the trade deadline.  Then he/the team/we can first see how the returns on the Eichel deal fit and go from there.  If by some miracle that the team is in playoff contention at the deadline, then try and talk him into resigning.  If he refuses, get what you can to help the playoff push and/or the future.

4 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Friedman: “ I think New Jersey would consider moving the fourth-overall selection for a good, young defenceman.”

Rumors that the Devils were interested in Risto.  DARE TO DREAM PEOPLE!!!!!!!😜😁🤣🤣🤣😂😂

Before the response of “That is not even close value, that would never happen, this is ridiculous.”  THIS IS A JOKE.

Obviously they want Risto and Fitzgerald lol

1 hour ago, sweetlou said:

If/when Jack is moved, Sam won't anything to do this with this organization.

Not sure if his value would be higher now in off season...he could have a crap start to the year like Hall did and then we get even less.

Unsure. If we put him at 1C (the likely scenario) and we have a decent amount of success, he may have a change of heart. 

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Granato is the coach.  Now let's get some players.  KA, can we get a goalie please.  We have a nice open expansion protected slot.  Let's fill it soon.

Agreed.

The hiring of the coach was going to be a 'news event, but I'm really looking forward to the roster moves.  Lets get to those now.

• Like (+1) 2

23 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Supposedly Garland is for sale, I hope KA looks into it

Good call and exactly the type of move we'd be in on if we are looking to compete next season. 

18 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Yeah, I like the idea of holding onto Reinhardt until the trade deadline.  Then he/the team/we can first see how the returns on the Eichel deal fit and go from there.  If by some miracle that the team is in playoff contention at the deadline, then try and talk him into resigning.  If he refuses, get what you can to help the playoff push and/or the future.

If they are in a playoff push, they would absolutely need to keep him. Imagine dealing him at that point, after going as long as we have without making it. The fans would and should rightfully riot. You aren't going to get something that'll "help the playoff push" to a level close to what he would. 

Ironically keeping Reinhart with no deal in place this summer would be more akin to Briere and Drury than anything 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Barring a team offering something we clearly cannot beat, and combining the fact that

a.) Risto and Miller are probably gone, meaning we need RHD

b.) we are one of a limited pool of teams capable of helping Tampa by not just giving them stuff for Cernak, but helping their cap situation out as well (taking Tyler Johnson too?)

I will be very disappointed if Erik Cernak is not anchoring a shutdown defensive pair as a Buffalo Sabres RHD this fall. 

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Barring a team offering something we clearly cannot beat, and combining the fact that

b.) we are one of a limited pool of teams capable of helping Tampa by not just giving them stuff for Cernak, but helping their cap situation out as well (taking Tyler Johnson too?)

I will be very disappointed if Erik Cernak is not anchoring a shutdown defensive pair as a Buffalo Sabres RHD this fall. 

I'd rather take Gourde's contract to be frank. Mainly because he would have a solid purpose as a defensive center versus Johnson who's more or less just a dude at this point. 1 more year at .166 more but far more usable. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Especially considering he was drafted with one of the picks TM sent back to LA in the horribly stupid McNabb trade.

• Like (+1) 2

I'm on Team Keep Eichel, but I'll say this.... if these trades go down, KA is taking a page directly from the Brandon Beane playbook... purging the roster of guys who don't fit the culture. 

Build the culture from within by drafting well, selecting the right players who fit the profile, and developing them.   

This worked for the Bills, can it work for the Sabres?   

Patience will be required and they'll need to do a better job drafting, but I believe it could work. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.