Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, sabrefanday1 said:

My computer went for a crap and I had to reload Windows thus lost all my passwords and forgot my sign in for Sabrespace...finally I got a new account so I have been dying to ad my two cents (about probably all it'[s worth) but watching the World IIHF championship I found out my 1st-cousin's  husband's son is Mike Bunting of Arizona and who played a nice role in helping Canada win gold! Needless to say my cousin and her husband were real excited! Anyways I liked how Henrique of Anaheim played in the worlds. he was captain and really looked good. Maybe he'd be a good 2nd center moving forward? I am sure the Ducks would not need too much for him. He is big plays well and is good on faceoffs. Just a suggestion!

Welcome to the board!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Now you're just trolling.  🤪

I live by the dictum: Honesty is the best policy. With pride I acknowledge that I have lived up to my screwup potential. And it is frequently on display for the membership to witness and snicker at. 🤡

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A couple of thoughts.  If we get Zegras we likely aren't going after Turcotte (or vice versa).  Cozens is in no way playing ahead of Mitts in this new lineup.  Mitts played at a 50-60 pt season clip once Granato took over and Cozens wasn't close.  Mitts would be the top center of the group you propose.  Also R2 should play much higher in this lineup. 

In the end we also won't see this much youth.  McCabe is likely to return to be the veteran presence especially if Risto is gone (in trade).  Miller is the likely lost expansion piece.

If we also trade Risto and sign McCabe, I expect at least one more veteran D.  Maybe even as a salary piece in the Eichel or Reinhart trade.  If Jack is traded, I also expect Reinhart to be retained at least until the trade deadline.   

All that said, it's kind of nice to have the ability to create an entire roster of legit NHL capable young guys.  Good depth to have around for emergencies and injuries.   

I agree with some of this, but I am pretty confident that Cozens will play a bigger role than Middlestat next year, and I don’t think Seattle will take Colin Miller.

I also think Reino is gone this summer regardless of the outcome with Eichel. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A couple of thoughts.  If we get Zegras we likely aren't going after Turcotte (or vice versa).  Cozens is in no way playing ahead of Mitts in this new lineup.  Mitts played at a 50-60 pt season clip once Granato took over and Cozens wasn't close.  Mitts would be the top center of the group you propose.  Also R2 should play much higher in this lineup. 

In the end we also won't see this much youth.  McCabe is likely to return to be the veteran presence especially if Risto is gone (in trade).  Miller is the likely lost expansion piece.

If we also trade Risto and sign McCabe, I expect at least one more veteran D.  Maybe even as a salary piece in the Eichel or Reinhart trade.  If Jack is traded, I also expect Reinhart to be retained at least until the trade deadline.   

All that said, it's kind of nice to have the ability to create an entire roster of legit NHL capable young guys.  Good depth to have around for emergencies and injuries.   

I have a different take on Reinhart. If he indicates that he wants out by not signing an extension for more than a couple of years he will be dealt this offseason. It would make little sense to hold on to him until the trade deadline because his trade value would be severely diminished because of his impending URFA status. After having a very good season, much of it as a center,  his value is at its height.

If both Jack and Samson were committed to the team I would be ecstatic and want them both back. I just don't see that happening. My position on a prospective Jack trade is unless there is a good return (it won't be equal value) I would keep him until the trade equation is more balanced. 

Contrary to what many others believe I feel that Risto is more likely to be kept than the other two players. The reason I feel that way is that Granato trusted him enough to pair him with two of our youngster blueliners, Bryson and Samuelsson. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have a different take on Reinhart. If he indicates that he wants out by not signing an extension for more than a couple of years he will be dealt this offseason. It would make little sense to hold on to him until the trade deadline because his trade value would be severely diminished because of his impending URFA status. After having a very good season, much of it as a center,  his value is at its height.

If both Jack and Samson were committed to the team I would be ecstatic and want them both back. I just don't see that happening. My position on a prospective Jack trade is unless there is a good return (it won't be equal value) I would keep him until the trade equation is more balanced. 

Contrary to what many others believe I feel that Risto is more likely to be kept than the other two players. The reason I feel that way is that Granato trusted him enough to pair him with two of our youngster blueliners, Bryson and Samuelsson. 

Reino was used for the forwards in similar fashion to Risto and the D.

They are in the same contract situation and expressed the same frustration with losing.

I think similar logic holds with each: check interest in re-signing, check interest on the trade market, decide whether it is in the best interest of your franchise plan to sign them, trade them now, or make that call at the deadline.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They are in the same contract situation and expressed the same frustration with losing.

I think similar logic holds with each: check interest in re-signing, check interest on the trade market, decide whether it is in the best interest of your franchise plan to sign them, trade them now, or make that call at the deadline.

I wouldn’t even check Risto’s interest in re-signing. Let’s move on there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I agree that Samson and Risto have the same contract situation. But where I have a different take is that Samson's value is at its height right now while Risto's value isn't nearly as high. His lower value will hold longer than Samson's will. At the trade deadline a lot of teams will be in search of blue line help.   

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

My man.  I respect your opinions here but I’d sure like to hear a well-argued case for this one.  

Like a month ago a little birdie we all know and love told me that he potentially might be more interested in a long term deal with Buffalo than certain press conferences may have let on. But I haven't checked in on that since then, and it certainly wasn't stated as absolute fact.

Had I not heard this, I would be entirely in the "he's long gone" camp. But I have some hope.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Welcome to the board!

Thank you...I have actually been on here since 2011 but as I said I could not remember my password I used way back then and my computer use to automatically remember it but when I re-did Windows I lost it so I just made a new account! Either way thanks again. 

As for either Jack or Sam being shipped out I am not convinced that we can get anywhere near enough for either to replace what we would be losing and to justify making a deal. Hopefully KA learned from the Hall deal that making a trade for the sake of making a trade is not a good thing. I would rather not trade at all then giver away players as we did with ROR. I would not have traded Hall and let him stivk it out for the lousy 2nd we got for him  

Edited by sabrefanday1
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Thank you...I have actually been on here since 2011 but as I said I could not remember my password I used way back then and my computer use to automatically remember it but when I re-did Windows I lost it so I just made a new account! Either way thanks again. 

As for either Jack or Sam being shipped out I am not convinced that we can get anywhere near enough for either to replace what we would be losing and to justify making a deal. Hopefully KA learned from the Hall deal that making a trade for the sake of making a trade is not a good thing. I would rather not trade at all then giver away players as we did with ROR. I would not have traded Hall and let him stivk it out for the lousy 2nd we got for him  

What was your previous screen name?

Eichel for Zegras, Rakell, prospect, 2nd
Risto, Olofsson for Copp
Tage, player from defensive logjam for Miles Wood, 4th 

Sign Blake Coleman 
Sign McCabe
Sign Kevan Miller
Sign Ullmark, backup G (Mrazek?)

Coleman - Reinhart - Cozens
Asplund - Mittelstadt - Rakell
Skinner - Zegras - Copp
Wood - Girgensons - Bjork 
Ruots, KO 

Dahlin - Jokiharju
McCabe - Miller
Bryson/Samuelsson - Borgen/Laaksonen

Ullmark
Mrazek 

Line 1: Mix of steadiness, jam, brains and hands. 
Line 2: Giving Mitts and Asplund an upgrade at RW with a fresh-start skilled forward who finally has a center that can pass again. 
Line 3: Easy minutes to break in the rookie passing wizard center, try to get Skinner to be useful again, and giving them Copp for help in the faceoff dot along with gritty play and recent breakout in offensive ability. 
Line 4: All 3 can fly, and give a decent amount of offense for a 4th line.
Injuries will ensure that Ruotsalainen will play plenty of games, and so will KO. 
6 guys who can play, or are prospects projected to play the center position. Mixing vets with kids. 

Defense is a bit weak, but there isn't a lot available out there. Goalies and improved forward play will help with this, I maintain that our defense has not been a problem since ~16-17 anyway, it's been at least typical/average since then.

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Randall Flagg said:

Risto, Olofsson for Copp

Sign Blake Coleman 
Sign McCabe
Sign Kevan Miller

Skinner - Zegras - Copp
Ruots, KO 

Dahlin - Jokiharju
McCabe - Miller

Ullmark
Mrazek 

Line 2: Giving Mitts and Asplund an upgrade at RW with a fresh-start skilled forward who finally has a center that can pass again. 
Line 3: Easy minutes to break in the rookie passing wizard center, try to get Skinner to be useful again, and giving them Copp for help in the faceoff dot along with gritty play and recent breakout in offensive ability. 
Injuries will ensure that Ruotsalainen will play plenty of games, and so will KO. 
6 guys who can play, or are prospects projected to play the center position. Mixing vets with kids. 

Defense is a bit weak, but there isn't a lot available out there. Goalies and improved forward play will help with this, I maintain that our defense has not been a problem since ~16-17 anyway, it's been at least typical/average since then.

What's your cap look like?

Risto, Olofsson for Copp

Sign Blake Coleman 
Sign McCabe
Sign Kevan Miller

Skinner - Zegras - Copp
Ruots, KO 

Dahlin - Jokiharju
McCabe - Miller

Ullmark
Mrazek 

What is exactly the interest in Rakell.  Comtois, or someone else of that range, makes more sense.  I don't all the interest in the mid to late 20's players.  This team needs to burrow out of a patchwork mentality with veteran leadership.  That ***** didn't work under two different gm's.  Draft, and develop, which isn't something this franchise seems capable of needs to start doing.  Oh wait, we have Kevyn Adams.  It cannot be any worse than Berglund, Sobotka, Tage Thompson, 1st and 2nd.  We aren't a few players away from making the playoffs.   

Edited by TheCerebral1

Risto, Olofsson for Copp

Sign Blake Coleman 
Sign McCabe
Sign Kevan Miller

Skinner - Zegras - Copp
Ruots, KO 

Dahlin - Jokiharju
McCabe - Miller

Ullmark
Mrazek 

Ran this through Capfriendly

Reinhart 7x7mil

Mitts 5x3mil

Coleman 3x4.5mil

Copp 4x4.15mil

McCabe 1x2.5mil

Jokiharju 2x2.25

Dahlin 2x5.25

K. Miller 1x2mil

Ullmark 3x4.5mil

Mrazek 1x3.5mil

Used Fitzgerald as the D prospect in the NJD trade (using family ties against him)

Retained half of Risto's salary.

Swapped Copp and Skinner positionally.

Ended up with 7.2 mil or so in cap space.

I traded Boston's 2nd for Nick Leddy who is 1x5.5mil and another LHD to add further veterancy to our back end. 

So my D was (until McCabe returns)

Dahlin - Borgen

Leddy - Jokiharju

Bryson - Miller

When McCabe returns, barring Bryson playing incredible I'd slot McCabe in there and occasionally swap Miller with Bryson based on the opponents. 

A nice combo of Playoff experience and youngsters. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, TheCerebral1 said:

What is exactly the interest in Rakell.  Comtois, or someone else of that range, makes more sense.  I don't all the interest in the mid to late 20's players.  This team needs to burrow out of a patchwork mentality with veteran leadership.  That ***** didn't work under two different gm's.  Draft, and develop, which isn't something this franchise seems capable of needs to start doing.  Oh wait, we have Kevyn Adams.  It cannot be any worse than Berglund, Sobotka, Tage Thompson, 1st and 2nd.  We aren't a few players away from making the playoffs.   

I would absolutely swap rakell for comtois. The problem is Anaheim would want to swap him for Derek Grant. That was the best case realistic trade I could think of. Rakell will be 28, not 34. You can't just build a team of all u25s lol

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

What's your cap look like?

I tried this on cap friendly and came in around 79 but I also was making huge ignorant guesses on every contract I handed out. 7 to Sam, 5 to dahlin, 2,3,4.5 to everyone else 

6 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Ran this through Capfriendly

Reinhart 7x7mil

Mitts 5x3mil

Coleman 3x4.5mil

Copp 4x4.15mil

McCabe 1x2.5mil

Jokiharju 2x2.25

Dahlin 2x5.25

K. Miller 1x2mil

Ullmark 3x4.5mil

Mrazek 1x3.5mil

Used Fitzgerald as the D prospect in the NJD trade (using family ties against him)

Retained half of Risto's salary.

Swapped Copp and Skinner positionally.

Ended up with 7.2 mil or so in cap space.

I traded Boston's 2nd for Nick Leddy who is 1x5.5mil and another LHD to add further veterancy to our back end. 

So my D was (until McCabe returns)

Dahlin - Borgen

Leddy - Jokiharju

Bryson - Miller

When McCabe returns, barring Bryson playing incredible I'd slot McCabe in there and occasionally swap Miller with Bryson based on the opponents. 

A nice combo of Playoff experience and youngsters. 

I wish the Sabres would be this thorough with a position group 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.