Roster Off-Season Gameplan

GASabresIUFAN

56 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Travis Yost suggested Vegas and Colorado get into the mix.

Vegas would start with Tuch and Krebs

Colorado would start with Newhook. 

I mean Colorado has to start with Byram. He is their best piece.  Byram, Newhook, +

Tuch would be a great piece to play with Jack.  If they are trading Jack then Tuch is less appealing to me as a main piece. Krebs is an OK piece but I don’t see the appeal of a Vegas package.  

With these higher clubs, their 1sts are at the end of the round which is far less appealing.  Meaning they have to add better quality prospects to the mix.

19 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

It's not acceptable to me to trade eichel to ducks without zegras coming back. I'd do anything within reason to make it happen (no adding dahlin or something ridiculous )

Precisely! Turgeon got Lafontaine. There has to be a tier one player offered to get Eichel or it is a no go. If he is unproven, some picks come as well. You cannot get fleeced in this trade. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Anaheim’s GM is under pressure to win from ownership. 

Dreger mentioned He could see the Kings circling back to Eichel.

Your Minnesota Proposal is intriguing.

Dreger also mentioned that the Sabres are telling other teams that We are not moving Jack unless they get a return they feel is worthy. 

They need two or three teams to get into a bidding war, lf they are moving Jack it needs to happen 

Bob Murray under pressure to win now from ownership would be perfect for Buffalo.  And Murray is a guy who would like Risto for his physical play. He is an old school GM.

I would go hard at Anaheim with a Jack, Risto package and see what pieces you can grab.  To me Zegras and 3 OA are the pieces I would say have to be included and then see what else you can do from there.

4 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Zactly. Love lindholm idea 

If we ended up with something like Drysdale, Comtois, Lindholm and another first (from either team depending on what piece(s) we also include) with some other mostly ancillary but beneficial pieces for Eichel and Reinhart I’d be ecstatic.

(Update: Wookie caught my error - this would not make me ecstatic because there’s no NHL center coming back)

Edited by Hoss

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I mean Colorado has to start with Byram. He is their best piece.  Byram, Newhook, +

Tuch would be a great piece to play with Jack.  If they are trading Jack then Tuch is less appealing to me as a main piece. Krebs is an OK piece but I don’t see the appeal of a Vegas package.  

With these higher clubs, their 1sts are at the end of the round which is far less appealing.  Meaning they have to add better quality prospects to the mix.

You’re not going to get Byram AND Newhook but one of them is definitely the starter. I don’t believe they’re in the Byfield/Lafreniere/Zegras/Drysdale level but they’re just below that so the rest of the deal has to be very strong. Looking at their roster I don’t know how they make a deal with us unless they include both the big prospects but I don’t imagine that’s reasonable. I also don’t know how the money works for them to add Eichel AND keep Landeskog. Imagine a forward group that features Eichel, MacKinnon, Landeskog and Rantanen? Would that be the best top four forwards for a single team? (That’s an honest question because I don’t know but that’s fantastic)

I LOVE Tuch and agree he has to be in the deal. I don’t know if they have much more to offer that appeals to me, though. So it’s likely a no there.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

If we ended up with something like Drysdale, Comtois, Lindholm and another first (from either team depending on what piece(s) we also include) with some other mostly ancillary but beneficial pieces for Eichel and Reinhart I’d be ecstatic.

Wouldn’t do Eichel + Reinhart  for 2 Dmen, a Forward and a 1st. 

Then we’d have way to many D without any offense

41 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Wouldn’t do Eichel + Reinhart  for 2 Dmen, a Forward and a 1st. 

Then we’d have way to many D without any offense

You are correct. I got too excited about Lindholm and Drysdale separately and just lumped them in together. Can’t afford to not get at least one NHL-now center in a deal. I did, for the record, mention that other pieces would need to come our way but that wouldn’t be the center we need.

Part of me really hopes Jack and Sam see the upside to the line-up and would like to stay when tempers cool.  The other part quotes the chorus of the old Billy Joel song, "Sometime a Fantasy."

Assuming the second part of me is right, how would people feel about mostly "now" pieces for Jack, Sam, and Rasmus Sr.?

Jack for a good 2C, vet RHD for Dahlin, an NHL-ready middle-6 F prospect, and a high 1st.

Sam for a decent 2C, vet LHD for Jokiharu, and an NHL-ready middle-6 F prospect.

Rasmus the First for 4C and a solid mid-pair D prospect.

That would give me 4 NHL-capable defence pairings and 5 NHL-level forward lines before we even try to add FAs or trade anyone.  It pushes Bjork to 5W and Eakin to 6C on the depth chart.  Add two decent goaltenders and you are built more like this year's playoff teams.

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Part of me really hopes Jack and Sam see the upside to the line-up and would like to stay when tempers cool.  The other part quotes the chorus of the old Billy Joel song, "Sometime a Fantasy."

Assuming the second part of me is right, how would people feel about mostly "now" pieces for Jack, Sam, and Rasmus Sr.?

Jack for a good 2C, vet RHD for Dahlin, an NHL-ready middle-6 F prospect, and a high 1st.

Sam for a decent 2C, vet LHD for Jokiharu, and an NHL-ready middle-6 F prospect.

Rasmus the First for 4C and a solid mid-pair D prospect.

That would give me 4 NHL-capable defence pairings and 5 NHL-level forward lines before we even try to add FAs or trade anyone.  It pushes Bjork to 5W and Eakin to 6C on the depth chart.  Add two decent goaltenders and you are built more like this year's playoff teams.

There is no reason to move Rasmus Dahlin. He is a “now” piece.

19 minutes ago, Hoss said:

There is no reason to move Rasmus Dahlin. He is a “now” piece.

I intended "Rasmus The First" to refer to Ristolainen because he was the first Rasmus here.  Sorry for the obliqueness making things unclear.

10 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I intended "Rasmus The First" to refer to Ristolainen because he was the first Rasmus here.  Sorry for the obliqueness making things unclear.

I have called him Risto so many times and for so long that I straight up forgot his name is Rasmus.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

I have called him Risto so many times and for so long that I straight up forgot his name is Rasmus.

At least you don't confuse Sweden and Switzerland like I sometimes do.

• Haha (+1) 1

I have thrown the idea around of trying to trade Jack for Tkachuk, or somehow offering a package Tampa can't refuse for Cirelli.  But the I dove deeper and just don't like either of their contracts. 

Tkachuk makes $9 million in the last year of current deal which means his QO is $10mil, no thanks!!

Cirelli makes $7.2 million in the last year of his contract. His QO would start at $8mil,  a little better but not sure I would go there.

Have people seen how bad this roster looks next year if we trade Sam Jack and Risto mostly for futures?

Here are three moves that get some support around here:

• Jack for Zegras, Comtois and 3rd overall
  • Sam and a 2nd for Turcotte and 8th overall
  • Risto to Seattle in the expansion draft

Personally, I think the 1st 2 are more than the Sabres will get and the 3rd is a mistake, but they work for this thought exercise. That leaves us with the following depth chart:

Olofsson Cozens Zegras

Skinner Turcotte Comtois

Asplund Mittelstadt Thompson

Bjork Girgensons Ruotsalainen Okposo

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Samuelsson Miller

Lukkonnen

Tokarski

The entire 1st line combined for 20 goals last year, the 2nd had 23, the 3rd 25 and the 4th 12.

Only 1 defenceman has played 200 NHL games. Borgen, Bryson and Samuelsson have played 64 combined.

Only 3 forwards have played 200 NHL games. Mitts at 155 is next most veteran player on the list.

Yes, we’d have a ton of cap space to acquire two goalies, two veteran defencemen, and a centre to bump Turcotte, Lukkonnen and Samuelsson to the farm, but the other kids have to play. 

Is this really the right path forward?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Have people seen how bad this roster looks next year if we trade Sam Jack and Risto mostly for futures?

Personally, I think the 1st 2 are more than the Sabres will get and the 3rd is a mistake, but they work for this thought exercise. That leaves us with the following depth chart:

Olofsson Cozens Zegras

Skinner Turcotte Comtois

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Samuelsson Miller

Lukkonnen

Tokarski

The entire 1st line combined for 20 goals last year, the 2nd had 23, the 3rd 25 and the 4th 12.

Only 1 defenceman has played 200 NHL games. Borgen, Bryson and Samuelsson have played 64 combined.

Only 3 forwards have played 200 NHL games. Mitts at 155 is next most veteran player on the list.

Yes, we’d have a ton of cap space to acquire two goalies, two veteran defencemen, and a centre to bump Turcotte, Lukkonnen and Samuelsson to the farm, but the other kids have to play. 

Futures dominated trades would be redoing the mistakes we made to start this damned disaster.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Olofsson Cozens Zegras

Skinner Turcotte Comtois

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Samuelsson Miller

Lukkonnen

Tokarski

No, it’s not. Neither was tanking, but they did that, too.

I ***** hate this team.

22 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Olofsson Cozens Zegras

Skinner Turcotte Comtois

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Samuelsson Miller

Lukkonnen

Tokarski

I think the first domino will dictate the others. Ideally, that domino would be Jack because it’s the biggest one and therefore will have the biggest impact on the team’s direction. I’m hoping they’re able to get a Zegras/Drysdale type while also bringing in a more veteran “now” piece (or two) but it’s hard to really know what those packages look like. But if the first domino is for futures only (even ones that are ready now) then the others have to focus on more veteran-type moves. Risto also is definitely not just getting handed to Seattle.

• Like (+1) 1

I never usually do this but I'll take a shot at it:

If I'm Kevyn Adams...

I'm drafting Owen Power #1 overall

I'm re-signing my RFAs, bringing back McCabe and checking Ullmarks temperature.  I really like 2×4.5 for him this contract but would defer to the market and explore other options if he wants too much.

I'm signing (hopefully) Brandon Saad, Blake Coleman Phillip Danault and or Barclay Goodrow. I'd be thrilled with any combo of two of them.

I'm signing one or both (depending on the Ullmark situation and trades) of Chris Driedger and Petr Mrazek

I'm trading for a goaltender, if needed. I would target Elvis Merzlikins, Braden Holtby or else I'm trying to pry Filip Gustavsson away from Ottawa. He's ready to back up in the NHL IMO.

I'm looking at a potential lineup of:

Saad/Skinner Eichel Reinhart
Coleman/R2 Danault Cozens
        Asplund Mittlestadt Goodrow/Coleman
              Bjork Girgensons Thompson/Okposo
Eakin Oloffson

Dahlin Borgen
                        Power Jokiharju
                        McCabe Ristolainen
Miller, Bryson

If I'm Kevyn Adams, I'm working my tail off to make the lineup above a reality. I might need to trade out a contract or two to make it work but I'd burn up the phonelines making it happen. If I had all my wishes granted this off season I would be in the market for and secure some reliable playoff performers and  guys who are "good in the room" and can lead my young up and coming team to their own playoff runs in the near future.

I'm looking at Rochester as my development hub for future Sabres. I want as many prospects as possible mixed in with the right amount of veteran protection and college free agents to let them develop together. I'm sending Samuelsson back to play with them as well and leaving UPL there for atleast one full season.

I'm not Kevyn Adams but I really hope they bring in some of this year's playoff performers. Their current teams will not be able to afford them and I'm not sure cap wise if the Sabres can either but if I'm Kevyn Adams I make it work.

Seattle will take Miller. I'm sure of it.

Edited by Norcal
I never do this because I always forget someone

My computer went for a crap and I had to reload Windows thus lost all my passwords and forgot my sign in for Sabrespace...finally I got a new account so I have been dying to ad my two cents (about probably all it'[s worth) but watching the World IIHF championship I found out my 1st-cousin's  husband's son is Mike Bunting of Arizona and who played a nice role in helping Canada win gold! Needless to say my cousin and her husband were real excited! Anyways I liked how Henrique of Anaheim played in the worlds. he was captain and really looked good. Maybe he'd be a good 2nd center moving forward? I am sure the Ducks would not need too much for him. He is big plays well and is good on faceoffs. Just a suggestion!

Edited by sabrefanday1

4 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

My computer went for a crap and I had to reload Windows thus lost all my passwords and forgot my sign in for Sabrespace...finally I got a new account so I have been dying to ad my two cents (about probably all it'[s worth) but watching the World IIHF championship I found out my 1st-cousin's  husband's son is Mike Bunting of Arizona and who played a nice role in helping Canada win gold! Needless to say my cousin and her husband were real excited! Anyways I liked how Henrique of Anaheim played in the worlds. he was captain and really looked good. Maybe he'd be a good 2nd center moving forward? I am sure the Ducks would not need too much for him. He is big plays well and is good on faceoffs. Just a suggestion!

Henrique is a cap dump.  He will be a throw in when we trade Eichel or Sam to Anaheim.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Could you reload the return key too?

• Haha (+1) 1

On 6/13/2021 at 12:10 AM, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

At least you don't confuse Sweden and Switzerland like I sometimes do.

At least you don't confuse the Yokan with the Alaska region as I too often do. When I do it riles up our Canadian ruffians. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/13/2021 at 10:18 AM, dudacek said:

Olofsson Cozens Zegras

Skinner Turcotte Comtois

Dahlin Jokiharju

Bryson Borgen

Samuelsson Miller

Lukkonnen

Tokarski

A couple of thoughts.  If we get Zegras we likely aren't going after Turcotte (or vice versa).  Cozens is in no way playing ahead of Mitts in this new lineup.  Mitts played at a 50-60 pt season clip once Granato took over and Cozens wasn't close.  Mitts would be the top center of the group you propose.  Also R2 should play much higher in this lineup. 

In the end we also won't see this much youth.  McCabe is likely to return to be the veteran presence especially if Risto is gone (in trade).  Miller is the likely lost expansion piece.

If we also trade Risto and sign McCabe, I expect at least one more veteran D.  Maybe even as a salary piece in the Eichel or Reinhart trade.  If Jack is traded, I also expect Reinhart to be retained at least until the trade deadline.   

All that said, it's kind of nice to have the ability to create an entire roster of legit NHL capable young guys.  Good depth to have around for emergencies and injuries.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.