Jump to content

Reinhart's demeanor today


Recommended Posts

So, a number of posters in the GDT commented on Reino's postgame media session, which is here:

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/sam-reinhart-postgame-41821/t-277437090/c-8113047

 

The view in the GDT was "Reino is blowing off Hamilton and Harrington as he views them as hostile bozos."  It's a very plausible theory.

However:  watching the game, I was struck by how grim and joyless Reino seemed after his goals and when he congratulated Toker at the end.  Then this presser really brought the point home.

IMHO there are 2 likely explanations:  either (1) he is PO'd about another lost season and showing it to his teammates because he wants them to understand that not making the playoffs and playing out the string like this is an unacceptable position to be in, or (2) he is counting the days until he gets TF out of town after next season.

I hope it's the former.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

However:  watching the game, I was struck by how grim and joyless Reino seemed after his goals and when he congratulated Toker at the end.  Then this presser really brought the point home

I just watched his goals again. I didn't see anything out of the ordinary. 

I'd say the answer is probably the most obvious answer... he just doesn't like the people posing the questions.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't even see the issue.  Looks like normal post-game Samson to me.  Only difference is his eyes are moving around trying to figure out which window has the person asking the question.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Methinks "move yer feet" was the trigger.

He does have a particular disdain for Hamsammich and this is not the first time he's shown it.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The goals seemed ordinary.  He wasn’t over the top (is he ever?) but he was fist pumping, fist bumping, and smiling with the guys after both.

In the interview he gave short answers but there was no attitude there.  Could be any number of reasons why he wanted the post game to be finished ASAP.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Curt said:

The goals seemed ordinary.  He wasn’t over the top (is he ever?) but he was fist pumping, fist bumping, and smiling with the guys after both.

In the interview he gave short answers but there was no attitude there.  Could be any number of reasons why he wanted the post game to be finished ASAP.

Stuffed shells at Chefs?

  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Curt said:

Could be any number of reasons why he wanted the post game to be finished ASAP

Starting with wanting a shower, from the way he was scratching everything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly:  I think that for Sam, it's just not as much fun without Jack there.  I think they really are best buds.

I also think the lost season thing could be a valid point.  He's seen this before, he doesn't get too pumped up about padding stats during meaningless wins.  The cure is to start winning from the start and carry it through for a whole season.  If that doesn't happen next year, he will for sure want out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Looking for something negative out of something quite neutral? I don’t see the issue. But I heard the distain for Hamilton the troll. The end.

Hamilton is terrible at asking questions. He literally asks the same ones after every game.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I already brought this up on the GDT.  I may have been the first to say it.  

I, as a FAN, was looking for to enthusiastic and forward moving statements about the direction the PLAYERS want to go. Not the OWNERSHIP.  Not the COACHES.   I want the PLAYERS to start talking about it.   I was disappointed that Sam didn’t say a word about any of it.  He seems disengaged.   Maybe he hates PH, I don’t care, I’m looking for the Leader   

MAYBE Mitts, or Dahlin, or Tage, or Cozens will say it.  This teams needs SOMEONE on the ice to say they are sick of losing and then do something about it.   That should be the Captain. 
 

Look at the transformation of the Buffalo Bills.  They have players that play for each other, meaning they play for the team, meaning they play for the  city. They don’t like to lose. When they lose they work to get better.  

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This teams needs SOMEONE on the ice to say they are sick of losing and then do something about it.   That should be the Captain. 

Sam's play on the ice doesn't do it for you. Seems to be doing quite well playing center. I haven't been able to watch so have little more than the stats to go by so you may be seeing things I do not. In his current role,  does he not look like a leader to you? If not, why?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Methinks "move yer feet" was the trigger.

 

1 hour ago, Eleven said:

He does have a particular disdain for Hamsammich and this is not the first time he's shown it.

Yeah. That was my take. He really doesn't like PH, and PH has earned that scorn. I f'n love it.

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think Sam Reinhart is a naturally warm and fuzzy guy in any way, shape, or form.

I also think he was more cold and short in this interview (and his previous a few nights back) than what has been normal for him over the years.

I wouldn't dismiss @nfreeman's opening concerns at all; it's more than possible he's sick of being a Sabre. It is a certainty however that he absolutely detests the Buffalo media and has tired of trying to hide it.

Equally relevant to conversation is Granato's post-game comments about how Sam is not normally a vocal guy, but he has recently started becoming more vocal and actively talking with the young forwards on the bench and in the room. I've seen him talking on the bench regularly and congratulating guys after goals. I like his "when you get into the endzone act like you've been there before" demeanour.

I think he's taking that "A" seriously, and if he's had enough and wants out, he's certainly not showing it on the ice.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drnkirishone said:

or 3, has something going on outside of hockey that put him in a unhappy mood

Or 4, he is pissed that the ‘Reinhart sign him or trade him’ thread by Sweet Lou will not go away.  He was reported to have said after the game, “goddamnit PI, I am a positive +/- since taking over at Center in April, what the ***** else do you want me to do?”

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Starting with wanting a shower, from the way he was scratching everything.

Scratching Dj Scratch GIF by DrSquatchSoapCo

2 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

A bad case of blue balls will do that to a man. 

How far would Sam Reinhart have to walk on a Buffalo St to alleviate that situation? 

  • Haha (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Broken Ankles said:

Or 4, he is pissed that the ‘Reinhart sign him or trade him’ thread by Sweet Lou will not go away.  He was reported to have said after the game, “goddamnit PI, I am a positive +/- since taking over at Center in April, what the ***** else do you want me to do?”

On that note, goddamn was he ever good at centre tonight.

Just a step ahead of the play constantly and playing with authority at both ends of the ice.

That was the player i had envisioned him becoming when I watched him as a junior.

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

On that note, goddamn was he ever good at centre tonight.

Just a step ahead of the play constantly and playing with authority at both ends of the ice.

That was the player i had envisioned him becoming when I watched him as a junior.

Ah screw all that, he was mean to a REPORTER.  A REPORTER for chissakes. Trade his a** now, after all this franchise has been built on the bedrock principle of addition by subtraction.

(I apologize for the sarcasm.  These threads touch a nerve for those of us who remember that the Sabres traded the future Conn Smythe winner because he said that he was sick of losing in an interview with a REPORTER.)

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jad1 said:

Ah screw all that, he was mean to a REPORTER.  A REPORTER for chissakes. Trade his a** now, after all this franchise has been built on the bedrock principle of addition by subtraction.

(I apologize for the sarcasm.  These threads touch a nerve for those of us who remember that the Sabres traded the future Conn Smythe winner because he said that he was sick of losing in an interview with a REPORTER.)

 

I forget, was it the same reporter?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Sam, 2 for 8 on faceoffs, even plus/minus... (he's a minus 1 over the past 10 games).

His goals were nice shots from distance, very out of character for him.   

He's not getting any better at faceoffs.

He came off as a douche in the post game.   

That said I believe he's best deployed on the wing.   

I don't necessarily want to see him traded, but I'm.not sure he's a fit for what KA us trying to build (guys with quickness, speed and very high motors).

Edited by pi2000
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hank said:

Sam's play on the ice doesn't do it for you. Seems to be doing quite well playing center. I haven't been able to watch so have little more than the stats to go by so you may be seeing things I do not. In his current role,  does he not look like a leader to you? If not, why?

So you have not watched the games or seen the interviews?  He is a fine player but you don’t pick a captain by the score sheet alone.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...