Reinhart's demeanor today

nfreeman

53 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I feel like all praise of current players should have a clear disclaimer: *In games that are objectively less meaningful than preseason games

Honestly, you should get a warning point for the bolded. To suggest that those you disagree with are ignorant or are trolls/flamers (?) is wrong. Criticism of Reinhart is not so objectively heinous. Folks aren't saying Hasek sucked.

I'm mostly with you on this push you've been on, but preseason? These are NHL games against NHL lineups for NHL points.

44 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

My concern is which guy are you signing long term?

The one here from two games ago....

20210425-125920.gif

Or the guy from last game who looked fully engaged in every aspect of the game?

You know Marchand dropped a penny on the ice there, right?

Reinhart was killing the Bruins and that rat will do anything to win, even cheap-shotting our best player.

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

That's pretty good. I bet it really helped the team win the game. I would expect Reinhart to get slowly better at faceoffs as he is forced to re-learn how to take them.

Crazy thoughts, Reinhart has a better shot than Eichel. 

A healthy Reinhart has a better shot than a vertebrate/ shoulder injured Eichel has.  When both are healthy, that calculus changes.

Eichel's shot is definitely harder and heavier than Reinhart's, but Reinhart's might be more accurate. 

Likewise, Reinhart can make a pass as nifty as anyone, but with his skating Eichel is able to get himself into position to find the open man more often, all over the ice, from anywhere. 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Eichel's shot is definitely harder and heavier than Reinhart's, but Reinhart's might be more accurate. 

Likewise, Reinhart can make a pass as nifty as anyone, but with his skating Eichel is able to get himself into position to find the open man more often, all over the ice, from anywhere. 

Not sure that Reinhart's shot is even more accurate than Eichel's when Eichel is healthy.  We've not seen him healthy since there were about 10 games to go to hit the shutdown.

Eichel can pick top corner with the best of them when he is on.  And the 5 hole off the breakaway in the game that RJ & Ray called from the stands couldn't have been placed any better.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Not sure that Reinhart's shot is even more accurate than Eichel's when Eichel is healthy.  We've not seen him healthy since there were about 10 games to go to hit the shutdown.

Eichel can pick top corner with the best of them when he is on.  And the 5 hole off the breakaway in the game that RJ & Ray called from the stands couldn't have been placed any better.

Don't really wanna debate the other stuff but he's definitely not good on breakaways. 

I believe his s/o numbers bear that out, too

Was the goal you mentioned the Kane flip? That's the only Eichel breakaway goal I can remember in 6 seasons 

Just now, Thorny said:

Don't really wanna debate the other stuff but he's definitely not good on breakaways. 

Shootouts and breakaways are always really different.  Breakaways you tend to be going full speed right at the goalie, you can play off rebounds too.  Shootouts there's a lot more time to think, and goalies are a bit more free.  Can cough up a juice rebound and it doesnt matter.

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

Shootouts and breakaways are always really different.  Breakaways you tend to be going full speed right at the goalie, you can play off rebounds too.  Shootouts there's a lot more time to think, and goalies are a bit more free.  Can cough up a juice rebound and it doesnt matter.

Sweet. He also doesn't score on breakaways in game

I'd be shocked if you could find highlights of 5 (edit - I can find 3, and 1 in the preseason)

On a side note this is such a nice goal:

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Sweet. He also doesn't score on breakaways in game

I'd be shocked if you could find highlights of 5 

On a side note this is such a nice goal:

There ain't NO ONE that is on this team, or WILL be on this team, that is capable of doing this. Don't trade him. 

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Was the goal you mentioned the Kane flip? That's the only Eichel breakaway goal I can remember in 6 seasons 

His shootout numbers are slightly above average: 33% (32.4% is league average).

You might be thinking about the start of his career when he went 1/9. He's 7 for 15 since.

Kotalik is the franchise leader among those with 10 or more chances at 18/36, 50%.

Reinhart is the top current guy 8/22, 36.4%

Interesting list:

https://buffalohockeycentral.com/shootouts/

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You might be thinking about the start of his career when he went 1/9. He's 7 for 15 since.

Kotalik is the franchise leader among those with 10 or more chances at 18/36, 50%.

Interesting list:

Definitely I was and I stand corrected.

- - - 

I've always been very curious as to why his immense speed and talent hasn't translated into more breakaway goals

But it doesn't matter if he's going to score goals like the one I posted above^

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Interesting list:

Having Briere Pominville and Vanek, especially combined with Miller, was money for us in S/Os

Edit - Ullmark's early #'s are ridiculous

Edited by Thorny

20 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Having Briere Pominville and Vanek, especially combined with Miller, was money for us in S/Os

Edit - Ullmark's early #'s are ridiculous

I can't confirm, but I have read Ullmark has the best shootout save percentage in league history.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

he had this memorable one on hasek

That game was the start of the Sabres' unforgettable run in 2005-06.  Ottawa was one of the most loaded teams I can remember, with Alfredsson, Spezza, Heatley, Havlat, Fisher, Chara and Redden -- and then before the season they added Dominik, who at age 41 wanted another Cup, still very much had his mojo and had a .925 SV% that year.

They crushed the Sabres several times early in that season -- 5-0, 10-4, and 6-1 -- but then they played again in early February.  The game was hard-fought and intense, and low-scoring for a change.  Vanek pulled the around-the-world move in the shootout to beat Dom and give the Sabres a thrilling 2-1 win.

Misty water-colored memories...

On 4/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, drnkirishone said:

or 3, has something going on outside of hockey that put him in a unhappy mood

Only "sports fans" make big deals out of every last thing that they think they see on the ice/field.

This is a job for these guys, period, especially in the modern era when it's ONLY about the money.

Does Reinhart absolutely hate Buffalo and want out?

Maybe! Maybe not! Who knows! 

I assure you we'll survive one way or the other.

32 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Only "sports fans" make big deals out of every last thing that they think they see on the ice/field.

This is a job for these guys, period, especially in the modern era when it's ONLY about the money.

Does Reinhart absolutely hate Buffalo and want out?

Maybe! Maybe not! Who knows! 

I assure you we'll survive one way or the other.

While this exceedingly cynical viewpoint undoubtedly applies in multiple cases, as a blanket statement it is false.

I would say that a majority of players are not purely mercenary and consistently factor in things like job/life/workplace satisfaction when making their decisions and to go beyond their contractual obligations in order to have their organization succeed. Certainly to a higher degree than what the average person would in the average workplace.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.