Reinhart's demeanor today

nfreeman

Reinhart's pressers will be fine.

He was giving standard answers to standard questions and then Hamilton did the standard Hamilton-ism where he answers his own question to serve the story he's already decided he was going to write and states it in a manner that it had been a lack of effort. But if Hamilton had watched Saturday's game he'd have seen that after a sluggish/messy first, the Sabres hounded the Pens and had them reeling. Saturday was not a lack of "moving your feet". And Sunday was a continuation of the play style and tempo that we've been seeing for nearly 60 minutes/game for the past couple weeks now.

A better question for the sound bites and the average person who missed watching the game live could have been --- Hey Sam, great game! Beauitful goals. On Saturday the NBC broadcast really went on how the 1-2-2 semi-passive Penguins defense really clogged up a lot of your rushes. Today, you seemed to have a lot more plays off the rush --- what adjustments did the team make today? Did the Penguins do anything differently?"

That will get Reino's analyzing hockey IQ going. Give him the seed. And if the answer is "we were more willing to dump and chase on occasion" then Hamilton can write that to his intended "move your feet" storyline. Just don't provide your own answer to the question before you finish asking it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, nfreeman said:

Just to be clear:  I didn't bring this up as a knock on Sam, whom I continue to think is a good player, albeit not a great player, and one that I hope the Sabres can keep at a non-crippling contract.  I did so because for the first time yesterday, I got the same "no joy" vibe from Reino that I got from Kane in his last season here and I am concerned that Sam and the team both know that his days here are numbered.

I am hoping that I'm either completely out to lunch, which is quite possible, or that the lack of joy is due to Reino being unhappy about missing the playoffs and wanting, as a leader, to set the right tone for the rest of the team.

Reino and Risto are in tricky positions this offseason. You can get more from a trade if you give the new team a season to make their decision (Skinner). If Reino is going to go, or if the team knows they're going to let him walk --- this draft is the time to move him, rather than just get a prospect and a late 1st at the trade deadline. These are the decisions that I don't envy GM Sheevyn. Because Sam is a really solid player and can be the 2nd line Sharp on a Cup-contending team, no problem. And once he gets a taste of the playoffs, I think Reinhart has another level of his game to unlock.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Just to be clear:  I didn't bring this up as a knock on Sam, whom I continue to think is a good player, albeit not a great player, and one that I hope the Sabres can keep at a non-crippling contract.  I did so because for the first time yesterday, I got the same "no joy" vibe from Reino that I got from Kane in his last season here and I am concerned that Sam and the team both know that his days here are numbered.

I am hoping that I'm either completely out to lunch, which is quite possible, or that the lack of joy is due to Reino being unhappy about missing the playoffs and wanting, as a leader, to set the right tone for the rest of the team.

I didn't think you did, just that it was always going to go that way because Reinhart has many detractors. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol calling him mentally fragile for not liking someone is mentally fragile. 

haha what?  I don't shut people out because they criticized me over a year ago.   I'm a big boy, I can handle criticism, Sam obviously cannot.   

He's not a guy I'd enjoy coaching, god forbid you look at him the wrong way, he might shut you out.   

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Love the fact Reinhart helps win a hockey game and because he didn't sufficiently kiss the ground of the reporters we get to listen to that. 

Sam Reinhart could score 4 points a game from now until hell freezes and he still wouldn't be good enough. Unbelievable. 

His plus/minus was zero, and he lost 6 of 8 faceoffs.    

The goals were nice and I didn't notice him sweeping the ice with his backside as much as usual, so ya he's a great center, give him all the money... smh.

51 minutes ago, inkman said:

Do you know that’s the reason?  Anytime I hear Paul mention Samson’s name on the air, he’s throwing shade.  Sam ***** Reinhart is a great player.  He shouldn’t have to deal with Paul’s unintelligent misgivings.  Quite frankly, I wish he did go all Flyers and f bomb that Jack ass.  He states his opinion and asks the players if they agree with it.  What kind of Jack assery is that.  

I don't know that's the reason.  If it's not I've lost even more respect for Sam.  He was a douche in the post game... admit it.   The team is playing well, he buries a couple, and brings that ***** attitude to the presser?   What a loser.... at least be happy for the team, mention the guys who helped you score, give them some credit, mention what a great job Donny has done, etc.... instead of coming off as an entitled little prick still butt hurt about what some reporter said about you months ago.   Selfish.

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I don't know that's the reason.  If it's not I've lost even more respect for Sam.  He was a douche in the post game... admit it.   The team is playing well, he buries a couple, and brings that ***** attitude to the presser?   What a loser.... at least be happy for the team, mention the guys who helped you score, give them some credit, mention what a great job Donny has done, etc.... instead of coming off as an entitled little prick still butt hurt about what some reporter said about you months ago.   Selfish.

Meh, not a lot of people can get over it so easy and be bigger man about it.   And to be fair that reporter been on him a long time. 

Samson deserves some respect, he is the only veteran playing on a good level.  

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

The goals were nice and I didn't notice him sweeping the ice with his backside as much as usual, so ya he's a great center, give him all the money... smh.

And if Reinhart is gone in the off season, you would probably be the first person complaining about Reinhart's replacements not producing. Meanwhile Reinhart would be still producing on whatever team he is on and not a word would be said.

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

And they still won because... faceoffs don't matter. 

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And they still won because... faceoffs don't matter. 

lol, he took 8 of 61 faceoffs.   

As a team they won 54%, and for that reason, and that reason alone, they won... because faceoffs matter 😛

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Justin C said:

And if Reinhart is gone in the off season, you would probably be the first person complaining about Reinhart's replacements not producing. Meanwhile Reinhart would be still producing on whatever team he is on and not a word would be said.

If he's gone I certainly won't miss his 38% FOW, career -92, sluggish feet, and pissy post game attitude.   

Again, if he's not scoring he's a liability.  For a guy who supposedly has great vision and setup skills, his numbers don't tell the same story.   159 assists in 443 games... thats 1 assist every 3 games.... playing mostly with one of the top snippers in the game you'd expect more.

20 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

As a team they won 54%, and for that reason, and that reason alone, they won... because faceoffs matter 😛

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If he's gone I certainly won't miss his 38% FOW, career -92, sluggish feet, and pissy post game attitude.   

Again, if he's not scoring he's a liability.  For a guy who supposedly has great vision and setup skills, his numbers don't tell the same story.   159 assists in 443 games... thats 1 assist every 3 games.... playing mostly with one of the top snippers in the game you'd expect more.

Trollsayswhat?

23 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

14 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

So Reinhart losing faceoffs matter but they don't matter if the team wins faceoffs...

Also note the moving goalposts. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So Reinhart losing faceoffs matter but they don't matter if the team wins faceoffs...

Also note the moving goalposts. 

please explain the moving goalposts, because apparently I'm too dense.

Possession matters, faceoffs dictate possession.  A faceoff win is defined by the team who gains possession.  

You want Sam taking a faceoff in OT?  In the d-zone?  Late in a tight game?   Hell to the naw.

So let me ask everybody this, what statistical evidence do you have that proves Sam is a great center... or a better center than winger.

Just now, pi2000 said:

lol, that's all you can say.

The Sam apologists claim he's a great center.  I show stats that he's not.   

And I'm the troll?  smh

Yes. I've already given you the stats. You're too lazy to even plot faceoffs won and see the lack of correlation.

Never said great center. But Sam is a valuable top 6 forward. You have shown 0 stats that show he isn't. The only stat from Sam's time at center you've clung to is faceoffs. 

I will bet money that if it wasn't faceoffs it would be something else you'd focus on. Anything that Sam isn't excelling in proves your point in your mind, hence moving goalposts. The guys 20th in the league for goals b4 tonight's games but man does he such because faceoffs.

3 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

please explain the moving goalposts, because apparently I'm too dense.

Possession matters, faceoffs dictate possession.  A faceoff win is defined by the team who gains possession.  

You want Sam taking a faceoff in OT?  In the d-zone?  Late in a tight game?   Hell to the naw.

So let me ask everybody this, what statistical evidence do you have that proves Sam is a great center... or a better center than winger.

See kids, he's changing the conversation again. We now have to prove Sam's great even though no one has argued that. Just that he's competent in a pinch and having 4g 1a in 5 games helps show that. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, dudacek said:

i don't think Sam Reinhart is a naturally warm and fuzzy guy in any way, shape, or form.

I also think he was more cold and short in this interview (and his previous a few nights back) than what has been normal for him over the years.

I wouldn't dismiss @nfreeman's opening concerns at all; it's more than possible he's sick of being a Sabre. It is a certainty however that he absolutely detests the Buffalo media and has tired of trying to hide it.

Equally relevant to conversation is Granato's post-game comments about how Sam is not normally a vocal guy, but he has recently started becoming more vocal and actively talking with the young forwards on the bench and in the room. I've seen him talking on the bench regularly and congratulating guys after goals. I like his "when you get into the endzone act like you've been there before" demeanour.

I think he's taking that "A" seriously, and if he's had enough and wants out, he's certainly not showing it on the ice.

I agree that his play has been admirable in a very tough situation.  I still was not moved by his interview but you can’t say he is not performing.   He adapted to RK better than most.  Maybe he wants out.  If Eichel and Reinhart stay, and play to their best ability, we are just a second goalie away from a playoff contender. 

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yes. I've already given you the stats. You're too lazy to even plot faceoffs won and see the lack of correlation.

Never said great center. But Sam is a valuable top 6 forward. You have shown 0 stats that show he isn't. The only stat from Sam's time at center you've clung to is faceoffs. 

I will bet money that if it wasn't faceoffs it would be something else you'd focus on. Anything that Sam isn't excelling in proves your point in your mind, hence moving goalposts. The guys 20th in the league for goals b4 tonight's games but man does he such because faceoffs.

See kids, he's changing the conversation again. We now have to prove Sam's great even though no one has argued that. Just that he's competent in a pinch and having 4g 1a in 5 games helps show that. 

I've talked ad nauseam about not just his liability at the faceoff dot, his inability to defend (poor plus/minus), inability to be a setup guy (low assist rate), weak on his skates, etc... There's an entire laundry list of reasons he shouldn't play center.

That said, I'm ok with him on the wing, so long as the center can cover his weaknesses, and he signs a reasonable deal for a 20g goal guy who doesn't do much else.

35 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Has Sam Reinhart been an effective center, yes. Not great but effective and if he weren't, how the hell did he produce 4g 1a in his last 5 games? Must be just riding the coattails of Eichel again... wait... 

Small sample size ✌️ 

Simply scoring goals doesn't make you a competent center.

Edited by pi2000

10 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I've talked ad nauseam about not just his liability at the faceoff dot, his inability to defend (poor plus/minus), inability to be a setup guy (low assist rate), weak on his skates, etc... There's an entire laundry list of reasons he shouldn't play center.

That said, I'm ok with him on the wing, so long as the center can cover his weaknesses, and he signs a reasonable deal for a 20g goal guy who doesn't do much else.

We don't agree on his limitations.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.