Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Has McD made noises about wanting out?  I haven't heard anything along those lines.

Even if Edmonton felt like they had to trade him, I think there is no way they would take Eichel as the main piece coming back until they saw Jack fully recovered and playing NHL games at his 2019-2020 MVP candidate level.

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Has McD made noises about wanting out?  I haven't heard anything along those lines.

Even if Edmonton felt like they had to trade him, I think there is no way they would take Eichel as the main piece coming back until they saw Jack fully recovered and playing NHL games at his 2019-2020 MVP candidate level.

I would trade cozens, jack ,sam,dahlin

to watch fun hockey 

11 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

He was on a line with Draisaitl all night, but your point is taken.

All the jets had to do was just focus on one line and that's it.

The coaches  Should have spread out the talent like  How Pittsburgh does with Crosby& Malkin

47 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

In his post game immediately after the game he was talking about how no overhaul was needed and they just need to tweak things. Don't think he wants out. 

38 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Is McDavid regularly neutralized in the playoffs by teams that play heavy?

That's what last night looked like.

I wouldn't say 4 points in 4 games was "neutralized". Maybe by his standards. But they lost 3 OT games and the other was a 1 goal game for all intents and purposes (2 empty net goals). A bit of secondary scoring would have gone a long way. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

In his post game immediately after the game he was talking about how no overhaul was needed and they just need to tweak things. Don't think he wants out. 

I wouldn't say 4 points in 4 games was "neutralized". Maybe by his standards. But they lost 3 OT games and the other was a 1 goal game for all intents and purposes (2 empty net goals). A bit of secondary scoring would have gone a long way. 

Most players have worse numbers in the playoffs because you are always playing against better competition than in the regular season (on average at least), but here are some key numbers for McDavid:

Goals per 60:   Reg season:   1.15     Playoffs:   0.64

Assists per 60:  Reg season:  1.87     Playoffs:  0.80

Per minute of ice time, he (over his career) is about half as productive as he is in the regular season. That is more of a drop than you would expect from a player in the playoffs....but it is a very small sample size (he has only played about 20 playoff games in his career)

For comparison, over his career Ovechkin does 1.21 goals per 60 in the regular season, and only drops to 0.94 in the playoffs.

Crosby Goes from 1.06 goals per game in the regular season, and only drops to 1.04 in the playoffs.

Again with McDavid, small sample size. If those numbers stay the same over the course of the next couple of seasons, then it might be a discussion to be had.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Yeah, I only watched last night, and I'm just curious what's kept them from "breaking through."

Do you think they just need to tweak things? 

2 minutes ago, erickompositör72 said:

Yeah, I only watched last night, and I'm just curious what's kept them from "breaking through."

Do you think they just need to tweak things? 

Honestly I'm not sure, that's what he said, I don't follow them that closely. My impression from what I've gathered is they have similar issues to us. 

1 minute ago, erickompositör72 said:

This may just be me being a homer, and I'm sure others have said/thought this, but I think Eichel's game will translate better to the playoffs than McD's

Don't know but I'd love to find out.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I don’t really fault McDavid much for Edmonton’s failure. When your coach pairs you with your team’s only other game changer then you are going to literally be put into a defensive vice anytime you’re on the ice. We’ve seen it this year and last year that if you can neutralize McDavid w/ Draisital; it’s rather easy to beat the Oilers in a series. They needed their other 3 lines to play better but also split up McDavid and Draisital. It’s more difficult to lock down two separate lines than a single “super” line

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

I don’t really fault McDavid much for Edmonton’s failure. When your coach pairs you with your team’s only other game changer then you are going to literally be put into a defensive vice anytime you’re on the ice. We’ve seen it this year and last year that if you can neutralize McDavid w/ Draisital; it’s rather easy to beat the Oilers in a series. They needed their other 3 lines to play better but also split up McDavid and Draisital. It’s more difficult to lock down two separate lines than a single “super” line

Had a similar debate with the Sabres haven't we? Do you put all your guns on your first line or sp!it them into two. I tend to agree with your assessment. Don't just give your opponent one line to worry about.

Trading for McDavid would be a bad move. It would take Eichel++ so instead of a team not deep enough to sniff the playoffs with Eichel, you have McDavid and even less depth. I’m sure he would be THRILLED here under the current situation.

Edited by Flashsabre

1 minute ago, Radar said:

Had a similar debate with the Sabres haven't we? Do you put all your guns on your first line or sp!it them into two. I tend to agree with your assessment. Don't just give your opponent one line to worry about.

One caveat with this however is that playoff hockey differs from regular season hockey in this regard. During regular season games stacking one line can work wonders.

The playoffs however inspire players to do much more to actually lockdown a line making a stacked line more of a detriment than an advantage.

Effectively, in the season you can do well and even make the playoffs on the back of one high end line and a combination of good goaltending and a couple solid Dmen. Whereas in the playoffs, depth is absurdly important to a degree that is almost immeasurable. Its also where the whole “need of a superstar” question is raised. However you do need a superstar or two; but said players must be completely willing to sacrifice their own personal success to win in the playoffs. 

Stars carry you to the playoffs, depth and goaltending advances you through the playoffs, and your overall cohesion wins you the Stanley Cup 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

For the record:

Starting with The Great Expansion, scoring goes down about 20% per 60 minutes overall in the playoffs.  Moreover, shots per 60 minutes go down about 10% and save percentages go up about 15%.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, and our 2021 1st for McDavid, Kassian, and Neal.

Still doubt it would work but it certainly looks nice on paper.

This conversation isn’t worth having.