Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

24 minutes ago, Digger said:

Thanks for posting this.  I read the earlier comments about the interview but wasn't going to search for it. 

Yes I agree with others that it's similar to what Paul Hamilton has said on WGR before about Eichel.  I imagine the Sabres would wish he would tone down some of his comments on Eichel's leadership at least until a trade happens.  I'm not sure that everyone (owners and players) would agree that it's the players association's fault for having this (team gets final say on medical procedures) in the CBA.  I don't see the owners (who pay the guaranteed contracts) giving this up and allowing players to get any treatment they want.

Found it interesting that the two Vancouver hosts sounded surprised at what Paul was describing about the Sabres. I think they were expecting to hear about flaming ruins and instead got a story of hope.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, SDS said:

So at what point has he made enough money where that is no longer the driving issue and he just cares more about what’s happening in his life? 

if I’ve already made $50 million at age 24, I’m getting close to being done with this song and dance and ready to move on with my life regardless of losing guaranteed future money. If that’s the only repercussion.

How about $42 million?  That's how much he's made to date.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Found it interesting that the two Vancouver hosts sounded surprised at what Paul was describing about the Sabres. I think they were expecting to hear about flaming ruins and instead got a story of hope.

Yeah when I was listening they said something to the effect ‘ the sabres have no star players they’re a bunch nobodies,has beens and never will be’s. My first thought was this dork needs to get out of the myopic Vancouver view of things. Get out more dude. It’ll do you a world of good.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

No, it doesn't. The team has been a tire fire for a decade. Even if the new crew is great, that doesn't mean the group beforehand did a good job - they clearly, objectively didn't. 

They haven't managed to build a proper team - early signs are they might be now. But it doesn't erase the past. 

To elaborate on this in the right spot, re, Eichel's trade value:

I highly doubt Adams thinks Eichel's value is going to diminish the better the team does. If so, why hasn't he dealt him now, if he expects general improvement from his team? For him to think winning actively damages maybe his most valuable asset doesn't seem like a situation he'd like to be in. Winning strengthens his position because we "need" less in return. He can afford to wait for the market to dictate a return more in our favour - it's why Risto got more than Sam, it usually comes down to the market. 

The winning doesn't prove Eichel isn't good or can't win. The team still failed to build around him for years. Even if you believe it failed partially because he was the one they were building around, that's not the same as saying he was an active reason for why we were bad - there's a difference. Eichel could hypothetically be incapable of being the focal point of a franchise and miscast in that role (not arguing this, just saying) yet still capable of being an important 2nd or 3rd piece on a great team. (see: ROR). 

Indeed, most of the teams we hear about being after him already have strong cores. 

14 hours ago, SDS said:

So at what point has he made enough money where that is no longer the driving issue and he just cares more about what’s happening in his life? 

if I’ve already made $50 million at age 24, I’m getting close to being done with this song and dance and ready to move on with my life regardless of losing guaranteed future money. If that’s the only repercussion.

Per Cap Friendly He has made 33.1 Million thus far.

I do believe The ADR is the only procedure He will agree to, and Friedman mentioned that Eichel is seeing multiple neurosurgeons to gather more opinions in what He believes is steps to an arbitration case. One of the other things that Friedman mentioned was a possible one time carve out of the CBA where the NHL and PA agree to let Him have the ADR. How this affects the Sabres Liability wasn’t addressed. 

Jack has known since June, the Sabres were not approving the ADR, the announcement of His switching of agents was August 27th. If He was going to go rogue and have the ADR without permission, I imagine He would have done it already. 

For the record, I think Jack should be allowed to have His desired procedure 

• Like (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per Cap Friendly He has made 33.1 Million thus far.

For the record, I think Jack should be allowed to have His desired procedure 

Negotiating 101: In order to get something, you will have to give something up. For Jack to get his desired surgery and protection from the potential fallout, he is going to have to give up something very precious. I'm now seeing a contract renegotiation as an avenue of discussion.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Columbus is interesting as they have Chicago’s 2022 First that’s only Top 2 protected.  Plus a couple of prospects as well 

We need at least one high upside guy coming back.

Sharks: Eklund

Jackets: Johnson

Knights: Krebs

Flames: Zary

Wild: Boldy, Rossi

Ducks: Drysdale

These suitors all have a suitable piece. I just think Zary is likely the only one on the table, and I don’t think he’s at the same level as the others.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

We need at least one high upside guy coming back.

Sharks: Eklund

Jackets: Johnson

Knights: Krebs

Flames: Zary

Wild: Boldy, Rossi

Ducks: Drysdale

These suitors all have a suitable piece. I just think Zary is likely the only one on the table, and I don’t think he’s at the same level as the others.

Who’s Johnson and I have little interest in Drysdale because we need a center.

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Kent Johnson, drafted 5th plays for Michigan.

Also you need to take the long view on this. Look at the return that Jones and Risto got and now imagine what Drysdale could potentially bring in a return when He has two years remaining on His ELC as a RHD. I imagine they could get a top center prospect back or they have the potential makings of a Stanley Cup Caliber D Corps. 

I would rather get a center, but Drysdale has a lot of merit 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Also you need to take the long view on this. Look at the return that Jones and Risto got and now imagine what Drysdale could potentially bring in a return when He has two years remaining on His ELC as a RHD. I imagine they could get a top center prospect back or they have the potential makings of a Stanley Cup Caliber D Corps. 

Yes Drysdale is getting lots of praise in Anaheim for playing above his age and experience.  I'm not sure on Johnson.  Does he become a Mitch Marner type (then great) but not sure he translates to that level yet.  I agree with you though that Drysdale would look great on the right side but I think I would be pretty disappointed to not get back a top center prospect for Eichel.  I still have faith that we will get a center back when it's over and done with.

30 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

What Brawndo said.

Also, Drysdale might be better than any of the other prospects I listed.

Eichel trade should be about "best return available" not "centre is the priority"

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I'll go with door number two of your suggestions, the bolded bit. 

In two years I don't want to be dealing for a prospect, we shouldn't be, and having that D corps you mention would be swell

Any list that includes Minnesota on the list is worthless.

They are committed to paying over $12M in buyouts for three years starting next year. Add in Kaorizov and Erikson Ek along with a Eichel and you have $40M tied up with three players plus the buyout and that’s assuming Buffalo takes Zuccarello off their hands. Like I’ve said before, I expect the cap to explode but not that soon.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Any list that includes Minnesota on the list is worthless.

They are committed to paying over $12M in buyouts for three years starting next year. Add in Kaorizov and Erikson Ek along with a Eichel and you have $40M tied up with three players plus the buyout and that’s assuming Buffalo takes Zuccarello off their hands. Like I’ve said before, I expect the cap to explode but not that soon.

L,LTIR

Edited by Thorny