Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Media reports are out there mostly because this is the most interesting off-ice story in hockey right now and guys like Friedman are paid to tell it.

Not aimed at you, but there seems to be a prevailing thought among some here that any Eichel reports are agenda-driven lies eagerly gobbled up and relayed by Friedman as he knowingly prostitutes his professional integrity in order to get future scoops.

Oddly enough, this seems to surface most frequently when he reports something that doesn't fit their personal agendas. I assume this is because it is an easy way to deflect and deny without having to demonstrate why a report is "wrong."

Like all of us, he makes mistakes, but in more than a decade of paying close attention to most of what he reports, I have generally found Friedman to be fair and professional in his reporting, and tenacious in his pursuit of stories. It's how he has risen to the where he has.

Friedman isn't sitting on a beach somewhere waiting for a text from Pat Brisson to tell him what to write next. He chases and writes stories about Eichel because that is his job. He reports what he's told - typically in careful fashion - by multiple sources around the league that he trusts and who are willing to talk to him. Of course those sources often have agendas. Good reporters - and Friedman is one - take that in to account in what they report and how.

What he reports 9 times out of 10 is going to be a pretty fair reflection of  what is out there in the industry. And if it is lacking in the Sabres perspective, it is because the Sabres have complicated his process by being unwilling to share their side.

It was reported a couple weeks back that Jack is willing to go anywhere.

This was not Friedman's opinion. It was him reporting that he has been told the Sabres feel that by waiting long enough on Risto, they maximized the return. They are applying that lesson to Eichel.

If I wasn’t such an a$$hole this is exactly what I’d say.

Edited by Hoss
  • Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Random wild thought (Jack, if you’re reading this and it works I want 3% commission for career earnings):

Could Jack RETIRE, get the surgery he wants, go to the Olympics, then unretire?

Marek brought up this exact scenario today on 32 Thoughts, Friedman checked with a league source who mentioned that the Sabres would hold His Rights as they would have to agree with His Retirement for Him to become an UFA, something they would not do. 

Friedman mentioned it would be similar to the IIya Kovalchuk remaining the NJ Devils Property, even though He retired from the NHL for The KHL.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Brawndo said:

Marek brought up this exact scenario today on 32 Thoughts, Friedman checked with a league source who mentioned that the Sabres would hold His Rights as they would have to agree with His Retirement for Him to become an UFA, something they would not do. 

Friedman mentioned it would be similar to the IIya Kovalchuk remaining the NJ Devils Property, even though He retired from the NHL for The KHL.  

I’m not saying he would become a UFA.

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I’m not saying he would become a UFA.

Gotcha

He would be instantly suspended by the Sabres.
Having the procedure without permission would absolve  them from any liability. 
Participating in the Olympics would prove Jack can play increases His Trade Value. 

You maybe onto something 

The only issue is if Jack was willing to take all the liability and potentially walk away from 50 Million Dollars, He probably would have done it already, or would do it soon 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

Gotcha

He would be instantly suspended by the Sabres.
Having the procedure without permission would absolve  them from any liability. 
Participating in the Olympics would prove Jack can play increases His Trade Value. 

You maybe onto something 

The only issue is if Jack was willing to take all the liability and potentially walk away from 50 Million Dollars, He probably would have done it already, or would do it soon 

I’m not sure on the liability front if it’s a decision and surgery done while he’s retired and not actively employed by the team or NHL.

56 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Yes, so when he unretires he’d absolutely be under contract with the Sabres but I am curious if that’s an avenue. Maybe @Taro Thas some CBA insight there?

Sorry for delay on replying.  Dealing w/ some family issues.

Pretty much what @Brawndo quoted Marek on.

Sabres haven't given up their claim on Pilut.  If they've not given up on getting value out of him, can't see them allowing Eichel to retire & walk away from them and into somebody else's arms with nothing coming back.  

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Sabres haven't given up their claim on Pilut.  If they've not given up on getting value out of him, can't see them allowing Eichel to retire & walk away from them and into somebody else's arms with nothing coming back.  

Again: not saying he would do so to become a UFA. He would do so and return under the same contract.

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This scenario seems plausible, but if something happens with  His surgery and He cannot continue His Career, He’s out the remaining money on His Deal.  That’s something I do not believe He or Brisson are willing to risk 

So at what point has he made enough money where that is no longer the driving issue and he just cares more about what’s happening in his life? 

if I’ve already made $50 million at age 24, I’m getting close to being done with this song and dance and ready to move on with my life regardless of losing guaranteed future money. If that’s the only repercussion.

38 minutes ago, SDS said:

So at what point has he made enough money where that is no longer the driving issue and he just cares more about what’s happening in his life? 

if I’ve already made $50 million at age 24, I’m getting close to being done with this song and dance and ready to move on with my life regardless of losing guaranteed future money. If that’s the only repercussion.

growing up, one of my neighbors was a the drummer from a famous 80's hairband. Basically what he did when his fame faded. he bought a smaller sized house, in a good neighborhood and basically retired. he had made enough money to never have to work again, as long as he didnt blow it on a silly sized mansion and ridiculous cars.  he drove a nicer car, but it wasnt like a ferrari or anything.  

i would do the same if i had enough talent. make enough to be able to stop working and do the things i want to do, on my own time. could you imagine being able to retire at 25 and never having to worry about money again...

i am 44 and i have been working since i was 13, and full time since i was 17 (working multiple jobs to pay for school, etc). I look forward to the day i can finally retire and just relax. i can picture it now, buying a small house in the midwest overlooking the plains or maybe more west, where i can look at mountains. i could just picture sitting on a porch on a nice rocking chair looking out at that. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, SDS said:

For a player like Jack money isn't what drives him because he has it. And if handled maturely, even if the money spigot was abruptly turned off, he would still be financially comfortable for the rest of his life if his lifestyle was reasonable. But that isn't what drives an elite player like him. Hockey is where he gets his identity. It has been the central part of his life. If that is taken away at his still young age it would be a tremendous psychological blow to him. It would be like a surgeon who lost his fingers in the wood chipping machine. His identity as a surgeon is forever gone. That is a stark/harsh reality to face.  

My point is that he would never at this stage of his life consider walking away from the game as a strategy to force his team to move him. There is no doubt that he wants to be moved. And there is no doubt that the organization is willing to move him if the return is acceptable. It's just that his injury situation and impasse over course of treatment is such a complicating hurdle for all parties involved to contend with. This situation will eventually be resolved. It's going to take time. It's in the best interest of the player and the Sabres that he get back on the ice. 

• Like (+1) 2

Paul Hamilton giving a ringing endorsement of Jack Eichel right now on Vancouver radio in true Paul Hamilton fashion.

Eye-rolling, entitled, bad leader who has never really been fully embraced by the fan base and gave up on being a Sabre one month into the season last year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Paul Hamilton giving a ringing endorsement of Jack Eichel right now on Vancouver radio in true Paul Hamilton fashion.

Eye-rolling, entitled, bad leader who has never really been fully embraced by the fan base and gave up on being a Sabre one month into the season last year.

It's pretty well established at this point but Paul just really hates Jack. Like, it's personal. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

Hope that all is well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Can this dude stfu 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

He definitely didn't like Sam. Found him annoying.

But man he hates Jack. Just effin hates him.

I never felt that Paul hated Jack or Sam. He definitely felt and stated that Sam was rude to the media but I never felt dislike for Jack.  Paul stated that Jack was not an elite leader like a Messier but that is far from hatred. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think Paul would know better than we would if his characterization of Jack is accurate.  Wouldn't shock me if it is accurate.

Regardless, I’d prefer if Paul kept those to himself until AFTER Jack is no longer a Sabre.  Let’s not turn off fanbases of potential destinations.  

i suppose he’s expecting to get future pay back with similar juice on Vancouver gossip when the time comes.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, miles said:

i am 44 and i have been working since i was 13, and full time since i was 17 (working multiple jobs to pay for school, etc). I look forward to the day i can finally retire and just relax. i can picture it now, buying a small house in the midwest overlooking the plains or maybe more west, where i can look at mountains. i could just picture sitting on a porch on a nice rocking chair looking out at that. 

After working since I was 14 and having a chance to retire at 59 let me tell you it is wonderful.

You don't need a whole lot of stuff to enjoy a relaxing retirement.  I'm in year 4 and the years go by fast.  I highly recommend it!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think Paul would know better than we would if his characterization of Jack is accurate.  Wouldn't shock me if it is accurate.

Regardless, I’d prefer if Paul kept those to himself until AFTER Jack is no longer a Sabre.  Let’s not turn off fanbases of potential destinations.  

i suppose he’s expecting to get future pay back with similar juice on Vancouver gossip when the time comes.

Hamilton well knew in advance that he was going to be asked a Jack question by the Vancouver media. He gave a candid answer. The response he gave was the same he has given on WGR on multiple occasions. Every organization in the league is aware of the situation and personalities involved in Buffalo. In this saga the book is open for everyone to see. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/halford-brough-morning/paul-hamilton-buffalo-bills-getting-sabres-fans-reengaged/

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Thanks for posting this.  I read the earlier comments about the interview but wasn't going to search for it. 

Yes I agree with others that it's similar to what Paul Hamilton has said on WGR before about Eichel.  I imagine the Sabres would wish he would tone down some of his comments on Eichel's leadership at least until a trade happens.  I'm not sure that everyone (owners and players) would agree that it's the players association's fault for having this (team gets final say on medical procedures) in the CBA.  I don't see the owners (who pay the guaranteed contracts) giving this up and allowing players to get any treatment they want.