Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So no cap dumps and no salary retention for a broken Jack?  You have no idea how bad the return is going to be. 

"We should only take on financial burden if it helps us."

You have no idea what the return will be. 

13 hours ago, dudacek said:

Cozens left the WJC tournament neck-and-neck with Zegras for top prospect in the world. He was the best player on Team Canada at this WJC and led the tourney in goals - 8 in 7 games to go along with 8 assists.

Krebs played top 6 minutes on wing and at centre. He had 3 goals and 8 points. He left the tournament probably ranking in the top 20 drafted prospects in the world.

I don’t think there is any doubt Cozens is more highly thought of than Krebs

Power is an interesting one. It seems to me the lack of hype for this draft a few months ago has really affected his ranking here. I find it hard to see how the best prospect in this entire draft class is behind the ~ 5th and ~ 10th best prospects from 2 years ago but I guess it’s possible.

I’d have to rank him 1st in our pipeline, even including Cozens.

Could come down to positional importance in today's game - forwards in general have a greater affect on the game metrically than defenseman do - if Power and Cozens are more less equal (close enough to make looking for projection differential in talent negligible) I'd be tempted to give the edge to the centre. 

12 hours ago, dudacek said:

Minnesota version: Rossi, Rask, Beckman and a 1st

Montreal: Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Guhle and a 1st

Anaheim: Unprotected 1st, Rakell, Lundestrom, Perreault

Rangers: Kakko, Strome, Georgiev, 1st

Flames: Zary, Gaudreau, Pelletier, 1st

Anyone like any of those? Or at least prefer them to Vegas?

Vegas and Calgary are the best I think. Minnesota is okay because of Rossi. I don't think Adams wants a win-now player like Gaudreau, so I really think Vegas makes the most sense at this time. With the potential 1C prospect being the most important piece, from this grouping it probably comes down to Krebs/Rossi as the best options. Rossi higher upside but more of an injury unknown at this stage, even though he seems to have recovered fully. 

Edit @dudaceksaw your projection of Power as good but not elite, do you have the same projection for Cozens? Would that leave us with only Dahlin projecting to elite, in the current system? 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Defense wins championships, even in this era.

If there is a Dman in the draft that is highly rated to be a 1st pairing guy in the future and you already have one it is the most reasonable to pick that guy number 1, if you are fortunate to have that pick.

If Rasmus becomes a Potvin and Power becomes a Robinson, or Korab, or Shooney, the Sabres have their D studs.  Cozens, with luck, will become a competent 1C and Mitts a 2C.

We need one, or two (can you imagine), goalie prospects to develop into solid 1A and 1B NHL goalers and the Sabres are set.

If the implication here is that defense is more important than offense for winning titles, I'd have to disagree

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Defense wins championships, even in this era.

If there is a Dman in the draft that is highly rated to be a 1st pairing guy in the future and you already have one it is the most reasonable to pick that guy number 1, if you are fortunate to have that pick.

If Rasmus becomes a Potvin and Power becomes a Robinson, or Korab, or Shooney, the Sabres have their D studs.  Cozens, with luck, will become a competent 1C and Mitts a 2C.

We need one, or two (can you imagine), goalie prospects to develop into solid 1A and 1B NHL goalers and the Sabres are set.

I'd adjust your idea a bit to say that solid team defense combined with solid - hot goaltending will win you a championship. Winning games 2-1 or 3-2 will get you a parade in your hometown.

Having a couple of HOF level Dmen is nice, but that's not enough to win the Stanley Cup.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

Vegas and Calgary are the best I think. Minnesota is okay because of Rossi. I don't think Adams wants a win-now player like Gaudreau, so I really think Vegas makes the most sense at this time. With the potential 1C prospect being the most important piece, from this grouping it probably comes down to Krebs/Rossi as the best options. Rossi higher upside but more of an injury unknown at this stage, even though he seems to have recovered fully. 

Edit @dudaceksaw your projection of Power as good but not elite, do you have the same projection for Cozens? Would that leave us with only Dahlin projecting to elite, in the current system? 

I wasn’t including Gaudreau as a now piece, but as an expiring contract to be flipped - probably for the best return for any of the players in that slot.

And yes, Dahlin is the only player in the Sabres system who projects for me as potentially becoming elite.

It does not mean Power or Cozens won’t be , or preclude someone like Poltapov or Quinn or Levi becoming a Marchand or a Stone or a Quick. Stuff like that happens in the NHL all the time, just not in the past decade for Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I wasn’t including Gaudreau as a now piece, but as an expiring contract to be flipped - probably for the best return for any of the players in that slot.

And yes, Dahlin is the only player in the Sabres system who projects for me as potentially becoming elite.

It does not mean Power or Cozens won’t be , or preclude someone like Poltapov or Quinn or Levi becoming a Marchand or a Stone or a Quick. Stuff like that happens in the NHL all the time, just not in the past decade for Buffalo.

Ya. If we are going to be trading a guy who's definitely a 1C, and we disappointingly can't get a 1C or prospective 1C in return, the *least* they can do is add to their pool of candidates who at least have a decent shot at it (Cozens, Krebs?,..)

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I disagree, you need a well balanced roster.  IMO, no player needs to be elite.  I stand by my statement ... you need excellent D and G and some very good forwards.

The last 5 Stanley cup winners prove your point is wrong .

If Defense and top Goalies with ok forward group win  Championship the Nashville  Predators would have had tons of Stanley cups already

25 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

If Defense and top Goalies with ok forward group win  Championship the Nashville  Predators would have had tons of Stanley cups already

He said "very good forwards", not OK forwards."

While I am at it, I don't think having "a" centrepiece of an Eichel trade is a good idea.  I would rather there be more balance in the return because it could become very toxic for that anointed one.  Ask yourself how differently Tim Connolly would have been treated had he come here outside of the Mike Peca trade.  I'd rather have a balanced 4 piece return.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

St. Louis Blues won the cup largely on the back of their D.

Cups can certainly be won with a team better at defense than offense.  It’s almost not worth presenting examples because basically any cup winner will have all of great forwards, great defensemen, and great (or at least hot) goaltending.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

How about that return from Anaheim 

Drysdale, Comtois, Henrique and a 1st

Okay, let's do it.  Would be great to see Drysdale with Dahlin.  The defense would be pretty good with Power eventually coming in and the hope would be to draft another high potential center prospect (or two) in next years draft.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

How about that return from Anaheim 

Drysdale, Comtois, Henrique and a 1st

If there is no way to get Zegras or Krebs then I’d want the Anaheim trade with Perrault. You have to get a Center prospect.

In that case you’d also be hoping Anaheim’s 1st is plenty high to double dip on high end center prospects in the draft.

The other potential outlet would be to use the FLA 1st plus one of our other D prospects like Laaksonen or Johnson to go get a guy like Turcotte from LA

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I would take that deal in a second.

Drysdale is a premier prospect and a RD, Comtois is 22 and already top 6 forward with edge and the pick will be a high one.
Henrique fills a need and helps the kids grow.

I’m not waiting around to see if Minnesota or Vegas offers up a centre because I doubt their extras are anywhere near an Anaheim 1st or Comtois.

I know people won’t agree with me, but Drysdale might be better than Rossi or Krebs. He certainly was at the WJC. I take three centres in the first round next year and ride Drysdale/Power/Dahlin for a decade.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I would take that deal in a second.

Drysdale is a premier prospect and a RD, Comtois is 22 and already top 6 forward with edge and the pick will be a high one.
Henrique fills a need and helps the kids grow.

I’m not waiting around to see if Minnesota or Vegas offers up a centre because I doubt their extras are anywhere near an Anaheim 1st of Comtois.

I take three centres in the first round next year and ride Drysdale/Power/Dahlin for a decade.

Don't forget Jokiharju too

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

The speculation is that Vegas doesn't want to include Krebs because of the way Suzuki turned out and developed after the Pacioretty trade.  Might make sense on one level if they want to wait it out for Krebs to develop but I have to think that Vegas is still happy that they acquired Pacioretty.  He's played pretty well for them.  Deal seemed fair at the time but may swing in Montreal's favor more as the players age. 

Trading Krebs as part of the deal for Eichel, they are still getting the better player in Eichel in the deal.

• Like (+1) 2