Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Is it okay? no. 

Is it what they appear to be doing, yes. They are going to add another 1st round pick in 2022 and draft probably 3 centers in the first round. 

We are in in year 1 of a 3 year rebuild I think. It sucks but maybe they will finally do this correctly. 

As long as the defender is not left handed. 

Rebuild timeline is entirely Jack trade dependent. 

11 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Rebuild timeline is entirely Jack trade dependent. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wish this were true. 

How is it not? If it's Rossi/Krebs/Zegras, a potential 1C ready in a year or two, that's much better than a bunch of 1sts not ready for 3-4 years

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wish this were true. 

It 100% is. If we get Krebs, pining for a mandatory Wright/Lambert/Savoie pick isn't under nearly as much pressure. Also, he'd play this year. Everyone but Power would be on the team in terms of an top end young talent.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

It 100% is. If we get Krebs, pining for a mandatory Wright/Lambert/Savoie pick isn't under nearly as much pressure. Also, he'd play this year. Everyone but Power would be on the team in terms of an top end young talent.

It definitely is not. Development is more crucial to this rebuild. A Jack trade has a max of about 4 players that can become a part of the team coming back, more likely that about 3 actually make the team at some point. 

Our top 6 is going to need 4 of Kisakov, Poltalov, Quinn, R2, Rosen, and JJP to become top 6ers, and that isn’t exactly likely.

Power could become an average second pair Dman

Dahlin could stay where he is and never be a true 1D

The goalies in our system may never become NHL caliber goalies. 

Even if we get a top center prospect, they would still need a lot of good development to become a 1C

Have to agree with the convo above. Basically, whether or not we add to our C pipeline in a significant way with the Eichel trade has direct bearing on the timeline of the rebuild. Waiting for next year's draft shifts it back, probably one of the biggest reasons I'd like to see that asset come in now, and it also adds a little bit more uncertainty, as well. You don't know who'll be available when you pick, and you more less are pigeonholing yourself into drafting based on position. 

Of course it's theoretically possible we could acquire a Drysdale type asset, and within a few months trade that asset for a bonafide 1C prospect, but similar situations to that are exceptionally hard to find in recent history. By far the most likely path is the next draft being used to acquire the piece. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sabresparaavida said:

It definitely is not. Development is more crucial to this rebuild. A Jack trade has a max of about 4 players that can become a part of the team coming back, more likely that about 3 actually make the team at some point. 

Our top 6 is going to need 4 of Kisakov, Poltalov, Quinn, R2, Rosen, and JJP to become top 6ers, and that isn’t exactly likely.

Even if we get a top center prospect, they would still need a lot of good development to become a 1C

It comes down to placing good bets, or placing bad bets. You don't know who is going to "hit", so you have to stack the deck. Having 3 guys in the system who theoretically could seize the 1C spot is immensely preferable to having only 2. We only need 1/3 to reach their ceiling.

8 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

We're talking about developmental timeline. Getting a player who's NHL ready vs. pick(s) that are 2-3 years away 100% effects the timeline.

Of course the youth needs to develop, but Krebs is going to develop as a key NHL piece faster than any 2022/2023 1st. Eichel's return effects whether this is a 2-3 year process, or a 4-6 year process.

Edited by Gabrielor
  • Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Digger said:

Trading Krebs as part of the deal for Eichel, they are still getting the better player in Eichel in the deal.

In any trade of Eichel he will be the best player in the trade.  So, if you closely hold the old truth that you win the trade if you get the best player then the Sabres will not win this trade, even if the pieces received in exchange develop into very good players they are not likely to be Eichel good.  So, we better come to grips with that if we have not already.  The best we can hope for is the peices we get turn out to be good players and we strike gold on any draft pick.

52 minutes ago, Gabrielor said:

Everyone? 

Quinn, Peterka, Kosakov, Poltapov, Rosen, all even toss in Huglen. 

We just went through what to me is essentially the first draft of the rebuild.

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Everyone? 

Quinn, Peterka, Kosakov, Poltapov, Rosen, all even toss in Huglen. 

We just went through what to me is essentially the first draft of the rebuild.

The core pieces I'm comfortable calling core pieces, is what I should've said. Dahlin Cozens Krebs*. 

Your list is more the potential core pieces and supplemental pieces that are indeed 1-4 years away, depending on who we're talking about.

Edited by Gabrielor

Just now, Gabrielor said:

The core pieces I'm comfortable calling core pieces, is what I should've said. Dahlin Cozens Krebs*. 

Krebs isn't on the team and a core of Cozens and Dahlin is the exact type of thinking that had us get Reinhart and Eichel and go "yea this is good enough"

Draft and develop. 

28 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

In any trade of Eichel he will be the best player in the trade.  So, if you closely hold the old truth that you win the trade if you get the best player then the Sabres will not win this trade, even if the pieces received in exchange develop into very good players they are not likely to be Eichel good.  So, we better come to grips with that if we have not already.  The best we can hope for is the peices we get turn out to be good players and we strike gold on any draft pick.

I agree and that's generally why we are talking multiple players and picks for a potential Eichel trade.  My point on Krebs was that he should be included in the potential trade with Vegas and that Vegas should have very few reservations in including him when getting back a player like Eichel in the deal.  They will get the best player in the deal.  

I don't view this as a win scenario but more of a fair trade given the difficult scenario we are in with Eichel.

3 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I don’t bring up religion around here, but I sure do have to defend Him every now and then. People unanimously don’t like these talks here, so others probably shouldn’t bring it up. 

Speaking for myself, I always treat other people's religion or lack thereof very seriously.  I would never, ever denigrate Jesus, Muhammed, Moses, etc.  As a Sikh, it is a sin for me to do so.

Please accept my apologies for any offence which I may have caused.  It was not my intention.

• Like (+1) 8

4 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Speaking for myself, I always treat other people's religion or lack thereof very seriously.  I would never, ever denigrate Jesus, Muhammed, Moses, etc.  As a Sikh, it is a sin for me to do so.

Please accept my apologies for any offence which I may have caused.  It was not my intention.

All is forgiven, thank you I appreciate that.

• Like (+1) 8

31 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

27 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

All is forgiven, thank you I appreciate that.

What the heck is with you two?

This is the internet, no civility is allowed. As the self appointed SS stats recorder I am giving these posts solid F's. Your fancy stats are on the line boys....

• Haha (+1) 4

54 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Krebs isn't on the team and a core of Cozens and Dahlin is the exact type of thinking that had us get Reinhart and Eichel and go "yea this is good enough"

Draft and develop. 

What thinking is that? Your core is always 4-5 guys big, even on champions.

Never said 'this is good enough', so that's an invention of your interpretation.

Also, this started with a hypothetical where Krebs was acquired, so yes, Krebs is hypothetically on the team.