Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Getting Krebs would have the Sabres at the onset of a rebuild, counting, currently, on addressing 2 top-6 centre spots from a pool 50% greater in size than what it’s sitting at before such an acquisition, with only Cozens and Mittelstadt being counted on, to go 2 for 2. 

Asking 3 to one day conceivably fill 2 is a much better bet. Pretty important.

Loser to the Roy role.

Cozens may be the better all-around prospect but I've no doubt that if we acquired Krebs, many would soon be envisioning as a kind of best case scenario (with Krebs perhaps more prolific offensively -as a projection - than Cozens)  Krebs/Cozens/Mittelstadt aligning reasonably closely with Briere/Drury/Roy stylistically. as a hope

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Thorny said:

If we get Krebs in a deal, is he our best prospect?

Krebs/Power/Cozens?

Power/Krebs/Cozens?

Power/Cozens/Krebs?

Or Cozens at 1, or not a prospect at all..etc

Cozens left the WJC tournament neck-and-neck with Zegras for top prospect in the world. He was the best player on Team Canada at this WJC and led the tourney in goals - 8 in 7 games to go along with 8 assists.

Krebs played top 6 minutes on wing and at centre. He had 3 goals and 8 points. He left the tournament probably ranking in the top 20 drafted prospects in the world.

I don’t think there is any doubt Cozens is more highly thought of than Krebs

Power is an interesting one. It seems to me the lack of hype for this draft a few months ago has really affected his ranking here. I find it hard to see how the best prospect in this entire draft class is behind the ~ 5th and ~ 10th best prospects from 2 years ago but I guess it’s possible.

I’d have to rank him 1st in our pipeline, even including Cozens.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Cozens left the WJC tournament neck-and-neck with Zegras for top prospect in the world. He was the best player on Team Canada at this WJC and led the tourney in goals - 8 in 7 games to go along with 8 assists.

Krebs played top 6 minutes on wing and at centre. He had 3 goals and 8 points. He left the tournament probably ranking in the top 20 drafted prospects in the world.

I don’t think there is any doubt Cozens is more highly thought of than Krebs

Power is an interesting one. It seems to me the lack of hype for this draft a few months ago has really affected his ranking here. I find it hard to see how the best prospect in this entire draft class is behind the ~ 5th and ~ 10th best prospects from 2 years ago but I guess it’s possible.

I’d have to rank him 1st in our pipeline, even including Cozens.

Draft status, does not matter. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Draft status, does not matter. 

When listing where you or I, as an individual, rank prospects, no.

But when attempting to show how highly-ranked a prospect is by the industry, it is one of the very few pieces of evidence you have. It becomes less relevant the further away you move from the draft, but it gives you a starting point from which to draw a line from the player’s subsequent performance.

In the case of Cozens he was ranked at about 5 going in, was picked at 7 and did nothing but cement his stock since; arguing that the industry ranks him as among the top 5 in his class based on that is fair and logical.

In the case of Power, he topped the draft board of a majority of teams going in to the draft and was picked #1. No games have been played since. It is absolutely fair to say you don’t think he is the best prospect in his draft class, but arguing against his industry status as the top prospect in his class is kinda silly.

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

When listing where you or I, as an individual, rank prospects, no.

But when attempting to show how highly-ranked a prospect is by the industry, it is one of the very few pieces of evidence you have. It becomes less relevant the further away you move from the draft, but it gives you a starting point from which to draw a line from the player’s subsequent performance.

In the case of Cozens he was ranked at about 5 going in, was picked at 7 and did nothing but cement his stock since; arguing that the industry ranks him as among the top 5 in his class based on that is fair and logical.

In the case of Power, he topped the draft board of a majority of teams going in to the draft and was picked #1. No games have been played since. It is absolutely fair to say you don’t think he is the best prospect in his draft class, but arguing against his industry status as the top prospect in his class is kinda silly.

You have no idea how many teams had Power at the top of their boards, just like I don't. 

His industry status would not place him over Cozens or Krebs. If you put all of them in the same draft, Power goes 2nd or 3rd. The 2019 draft was amazingly strong. The 2021 draft was weak at the top. Arguing a 1st overall pick in a mediocre draft is better than picks in a stronger draft is silly impo. 

As to my own personal feelings on Power, unless he learns to keep his feet moving, there's gonna be issues. 

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Krebs, Reilly, Elvenes and a First would be My Bet 

Minnesota version: Rossi, Rask, Beckman and a 1st

Montreal: Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Guhle and a 1st

Anaheim: Unprotected 1st, Rakell, Lundestrom, Perreault

Rangers: Kakko, Strome, Georgiev, 1st

Flames: Zary, Gaudreau, Pelletier, 1st

Anyone like any of those? Or at least prefer them to Vegas?

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You have no idea how many teams had Power at the top of their boards, just like I don't. 

His industry status would not place him over Cozens or Krebs. If you put all of them in the same draft, Power goes 2nd or 3rd. The 2019 draft was amazingly strong. The 2021 draft was weak at the top. Arguing a 1st overall pick in a mediocre draft is better than picks in a stronger draft is silly impo. 

As to my own personal feelings on Power, unless he learns to keep his feet moving, there's gonna be issues. 

I have a pretty damn good idea from Bob McKenzie’s report, and credible reports from the Athletic. You can dismiss them if you wish.

If you don’t see the irony following your first sentence with your second, I don’t know what to say.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, dudacek said:

I have a pretty damn good idea from Bob McKenzie’s report, and credible reports from the Athletic. You can dismiss them if you wish.

If you don’t see the irony following your first sentence with your second, I don’t know what to say.

K. I just hope you are not disappointed by Power.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Minnesota version: Rossi, Rask, Beckman and a 1st

Montreal: Kotkaniemi, Drouin, Guhle and a 1st

Anaheim: Unprotected 1st, Rakell, Lundestrom, Perreault

Rangers: Kakko, Strome, Georgiev, 1st

Flames: Zary, Gaudreau, Pelletier, 1st

Anyone like any of those? Or at least prefer them to Vegas?

Minnesota is the best deal listed here. 

• Like (+1) 1

Bob McKenzie asked 10 teams. Every single one had Power number 1

it was no surprise that — just as they did in TSN’s mid-season rankings in April — 10 out of 10 NHL scouts surveyed ranked Power No. 1 on TSN’s Final 2021 NHL Draft Rankings.

It was unanimous, obvious and fully deserving.

“If there was any debate who the No. 1 prospect was, and I’m not sure there was, but if you were looking to create or engage in a ‘Who’s No. 1’ debate, [Power] ended that at the Worlds,” said one NHL head scout.

“How could you not make him No. 1?” said another team’s head scout. “His game reached another level at the World Championship.”

“He reinforced, reaffirmed and erased any doubt,” said a third NHL team head scout. “He really earned it there. He didn’t start out the tournament as a top-pair, 20-to-30-minute guy, but he got to that point by earning the trust of [Team Canada head coach] Gerard Gallant. He did exactly in that tournament what he’s expected to do in the NHL — play top-pair minutes and impact the game in every situation, penalty kill, power play, 5 on 5 — and he did it against pro-level competition.”

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Bob McKenzie asked 10 teams. Every single one had Power number 1

it was no surprise that — just as they did in TSN’s mid-season rankings in April — 10 out of 10 NHL scouts surveyed ranked Power No. 1 on TSN’s Final 2021 NHL Draft Rankings.

It was unanimous, obvious and fully deserving.

“If there was any debate who the No. 1 prospect was, and I’m not sure there was, but if you were looking to create or engage in a ‘Who’s No. 1’ debate, [Power] ended that at the Worlds,” said one NHL head scout.

“How could you not make him No. 1?” said another team’s head scout. “His game reached another level at the World Championship.”

“He reinforced, reaffirmed and erased any doubt,” said a third NHL team head scout. “He really earned it there. He didn’t start out the tournament as a top-pair, 20-to-30-minute guy, but he got to that point by earning the trust of [Team Canada head coach] Gerard Gallant. He did exactly in that tournament what he’s expected to do in the NHL — play top-pair minutes and impact the game in every situation, penalty kill, power play, 5 on 5 — and he did it against pro-level competition.”

You act like I haven't read this. He asked 10 scouts, not teams. 

More infuriating is you don't understand the original point. 

Cozens-Krebs--Power

Edited by LGR4GM

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

K. I just hope you are not disappointed by Power.

I hope not either, since I personally don’t have “1st overall” hopes for him. I project him as good but not elite and if I’m outright disappointed in him, he’s going to probably be Ryan Murray.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I hope not either, since I personally don’t have “1st overall” hopes for him. I project him as good but not elite and if I’m outright disappointed in him, he’s going to probably be Ryan Murray.

And yet you're arguing that he's better than Cozens and Krebs because he was drafted 1st overall. 

I just watched Tenet and I was reading through Liger and dudacek’s discussion like one of them was going one way in time and the other was going the other way in time but I don’t know which way in time either poster was going. That’s basically the plot of the movie, if you’re wondering.

Edited by Hoss

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You act like I haven't read this. 

More infuriating is you don't understand the original point. 

Cozens-Krebs--Power

You’re very hard to talk to when it comes to Power.

It feels like you are less responding to my posts than you are carts full of baggage from previous conversations with other posters.

You said I have no idea how many teams had Power at the top of their boards. I said I do, and posted evidence. Im not sure why I shouldn’t have responded.

I know you think less of Power than the industry and I know why. I tend to agree with you and certainly aren’t attempting to argue that point.

I’m not sure why you think I don’t understand your point. My point was that I think the industry (as in NHL scouts) likely has Power ranked ahead of Krebs and probably Cozens as well. It’s an observation. It shouldn’t be infuriating.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

And yet you're arguing that he's better than Cozens and Krebs because he was drafted 1st overall. 

I hope my subsequent posts have clarified that I am arguing that is part of why I think the industry thinks that, which doesn’t necessarily mean I think it, and it certainly doesn’t mean the industry is right.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You’re very hard to talk to when it comes to Power.

It feels like you are less responding to my posts than you are carts full of baggage from previous conversations with other posters.

You said I have no idea how many teams had Power at the top of their boards. I said I do, and posted evidence. Im not sure why I shouldn’t have responded.

I know you think less of Power than the industry and I know why. I tend to agree with you and certainly aren’t attempting to argue that point.

I’m not sure why you think I don’t understand your point. My point was that I think the industry (as in NHL scouts) likely has Power ranked ahead of Krebs and probably Cozens as well. It’s an observation. It shouldn’t be infuriating.

No, you posted a survey of 10 scouts. We'll never know how many teams had power at 1, my guess is quite a few. 

The industry ranking power 1 for a draft class is worlds away from cross class comparisons. That's my point.