Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

Just now, PASabreFan said:

I've never done the fantasy trade thing. I acknowledge my lack of knowledge. I don't see how Risto brings back a young defenseman and a high draft pick. That seems nutty. Of course I guess it doesn't say the young defenseman is any good.

The young defenseman may carry a salary a little higher than his former teams thinks he's worth as well.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, darksabre said:

He just wants to be back on the ice as fast as possible. I've got no complaints. If his conviction is that the organization has no credibility then maybe he's right. And maybe his teammates agree with him...

I can justify Jack Eichel saying that, but never the captain of the Buffalo Sabres, if you follow my distinction.

The role demands putting the organization first and setting the tone for the team.

“Henri, I need you to slide over to the left side because McCabe is still out.” “Sorry, Donnie. I play best with Ras. Like Jack said, you’ve got to look after yourself.”

“Victor, I’m moving you down to the 3rd line because we need to balance the scoring out.” “Sorry Donnie, but I’m not playing with Eakin, he sucks. I’m a goal scorer and I need to play with someone who gets me the puck. You’ve got to look after yourself. “

“Linus, you’re going to have to play back-to-back. Hutton has double-vision again.” “Sorry Donnie, but that will hurt my numbers and put me a greater risk of injury. You’ve got to look after yourself.”

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, dudacek said:

I can justify Jack Eichel saying that, but never the captain of the Buffalo Sabres, if you follow my distinction.

The role demands putting the organization first and setting the tone for the team.

“Henri, I need you to slide over to the left side because McCabe is still out.” “Sorry, Donnie. I play best with Ras. Like Jack said, you’ve got to look after yourself.”

“Victor, I’m moving you down to the 3rd line because we need to balance the scoring out.” “Sorry Donnie, but I’m not playing with Eakin, he sucks. I’m a goal scorer and I need to play with someone who gets me the puck. You’ve got to look after yourself. “

“Linus, you’re going to have to play back-to-back. Hutton has double-vision again.” “Sorry Donnie, but that will hurt my numbers and put me a greater risk of injury. You’ve got to look after yourself.”

See my edit. You're putting way too much thought into this.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

There’s no villain in this. Its simply a poorly run franchise throwing darts at a board trying to find their way out of the dark. Instead of doing what the smart money says to do they keep doing the opposite. Call it stupidity, ego, whatever but its maddening. 

There is a villain in this: The man whose incompetence and stupidity is directly responsible for turning what was once among the most proud franchises in all of hockey into the single biggest laughingstock in all of pro sports. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Happy Fun GIF by Big Brother

13 minutes ago, sabremike said:

There is a villain in this: The man whose incompetence and stupidity is directly responsible for turning what was once among the most proud franchises in all of hockey into the single biggest laughingstock in all of pro sports. 

Jason Nightengale?  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, sabremike said:

The villains are too numerous to count. Somehow.... _____ returned!

15 minutes ago, sabremike said:

There is a villain in this: The man whose incompetence and stupidity is directly responsible for turning what was once among the most proud franchises in all of hockey into the single biggest laughingstock in all of pro sports

I disagree there, the Sabres are a joke but there are plenty of other joke franchises in pro sports that even make us look good.

How big a deal would it be to this team's already awful reputation if Jack wins a Cup the first year on his new team?

First ROR, and then Eichel.

I don't think your franchise could ever live that down until it wins a Cup.

Adams cannot make a deal that doesn't bring back legit multiple pieces of high level talent and picks.  

12 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

How big a deal would it be to this team's already awful reputation if Jack wins a Cup the first year on his new team?

First ROR, and then Eichel.

I don't think your franchise could ever live that down until it wins a Cup.

Adams cannot make a deal that doesn't bring back legit multiple pieces of high level talent and picks.  

To me it means nothing at all if you trade someone and he wins a cup in the first year there.  If the Sabres don't win it, someone else will and I don't care too much who that is.   

Its like people that say you can't trade him in the division or you want to trade him out west.  If you could trade him to the Bruins and get an extra 7th round pick than you could by trading him to Vancouver (if the other parts of that trade were equal), then I would trade him to the team that gives the Sabres even the slightest bit more.  If the ultimate goal is to win the cup, you are going to have to be better than everyone else, whether it is Boston, the Rangers, Vancouver, or L.A.

The reputation of the Sabres is one thing and one thing only. How good are they?  If the Sabres get better and who they trade Jack to wins a cup....great. All I care about is the first part of that equation.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SwampD said:

Whole lotta assumptions going on in here. Just because they talked, doesn’t mean that KA wants to trade Jack.

Who called whom? Is he calling teams and saying what’ll you give me, or are they calling him and asking what’ll it take to get him? And GMs talk all the time.

I just don’t get why everyone is so eager to get rid of Jack. He’s an unbelievable talent, under a decent contract for 5 more years. Get’m healthy and get him some teammates and start ***** winning. The Sabres need to stop getting rid of their good players.

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

The amount of people who have already turned on him/decided he's the villain, is staggering. 

I’m also surprised at the number of people who have completely turned on Jack, who, apparently is just the worst.  I think it’s a coping mechanism of sorts.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m also surprised at the number of people who have completely turned on Jack, who, apparently is just the worst.  I think it’s a coping mechanism of sorts.

It is but he did nothing to endear himself to the city or fans.  It was an easy transition.  He’s not charismatic and comes across strange in the media.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, inkman said:

It is but he did nothing to endear himself to the city or fans.  It was an easy transition.  He’s not charismatic and comes across strange in the media.  

He sometimes comes across as cranky and whiny.  If the Sabres were better I don’t think this would be the case.

He also has been the Sabres best offensive player over his time here. In better circumstances, that’s enough to endear yourself.

That said, I don’t feel an emotional attachment to him.

• Like (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

He sometimes comes across as cranky and whiny.  If the Sabres were better I don’t think this would be the case.

He also has been the Sabres best offensive player over his time here. In better circumstances, that’s enough to endear yourself.

I agree with this entire post.

6 minutes ago, inkman said:

He's no Josh Allen.

• Like (+1) 4

20 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I agree with this entire post.

I remember a video of Jack sitting on the bench in some scrimmage/pickup game before he was drafted. He was nastily chirping guys. I am well aware chirping is a hockey tradition. There was something about it that turned me off. He's a negative energy guy.

32 minutes ago, Curt said:

This sentiment, gaining steam here, is mostly a strawman, IMHO.

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's no Josh Allen.

No, he's not.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I remember a video of Jack sitting on the bench in some scrimmage/pickup game before he was drafted. He was nastily chirping guys. I am well aware chirping is a hockey tradition. There was something about it that turned me off. He's a negative energy guy.

You should be a paperback writer.

• Haha (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, inkman said:

I tend to disagree that he lacks charisma. It's there. It can be a little flinty, but it's there.

I can't find that video of his first visit to the Buffalo area - total dog and pony show. There was the footage of him kneeling down to meet a kid in a hospital (points for the kneel!), whose name was Jack, and Eichel, obviously unscripted, turns to the PSE entourage and brightly says, "hey, guys, his name's Jack too!" Very sweet. I'm calling it genuine.

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

Excellent take.

24 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

He's no Josh Allen.

Rural California -v- greater Boston. Very different sorts of cats. But there's lots of ways to skin them, so to speak.

17 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Revisionist history. This video from ~:50 onward has footage that accurately depicts the guy.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Whole lotta assumptions going on in here. Just because they talked, doesn’t mean that KA wants to trade Jack.

Who called whom? Is he calling teams and saying what’ll you give me, or are they calling him and asking what’ll it take to get him? And GMs talk all the time.

I just don’t get why everyone is so eager to get rid of Jack. He’s an unbelievable talent, under a decent contract for 5 more years. Get’m healthy and get him some teammates and start ***** winning. The Sabres need to stop getting rid of their good players.

Yes.  My comments are based on assumptions.  Logical assumptions.  

Eichel wants out, Adam’s is talking to teams.  Who calls who is not important   anymore.  This situation is not a secret.  

For the record, I don’t like the idea of losing a player like Eichel.  Adams inherited this problem and it lays at the feet of Terry and Kim. 

• Thanks (+1) 2

5 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Why is asking for a potential top line center and more over valuing Eichel? Who is in his prime and already under contract etc.  If a team wants value they have to give us at least the same value back if not more. 

Eichel is a flawed player with a big injury history. He has missed 91 games in 5 years. They are not getting a Byfield,  Zegras,  Drysdale,  Kaprizov,  Turcotte,  Lafranierre,  type player coming back. 

Edit: @Curtcaught it missed 78 in 6 years. Still a significant amount. 

Edited by Ogelthorpe
My mistakes
  • Thanks (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Revisionist history. This video from ~:50 onward has footage that accurately depicts the guy.

So we disagree. Why slap a pejorative label on my opinion and insist you have it right?

Classic.