Jack Eichel: Trade rumors and speculation

LGR4GM

9 hours ago, Jävə Keith said:

Beautiful! Where abouts in the 1000 Islands? My grandfather was born there and we have a family island in Eel Bay (just off Wellesley Island).

Water level is low this year. Bass fishing a bit off, but abundant perch.

We rent a house for two weeks on near Blind Bay about a few miles North of Chippewa Bay We usually have some luck off the shoals near the channel with Smallies. 

That’s awesome having a family island,  Claude Balls Family has one as well.  My Grandmother sold Her Place in 1986 and I was devastated. Granted it was a trailer in Duck Cove near Schermerhorn’s, but it’s still My Favorite Vacation Spot. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

We rent a house for two weeks on near Blind Bay about a few miles North of Chippewa Bay We usually have some luck off the shoals near the channel with Smallies. 

That’s awesome having a family island,  Claude Balls Family has one as well.  My Grandmother sold Her Place in 1986 and I was devastated. Granted it was a trailer in Duck Cove near Schermerhorn’s, but it’s still My Favorite Vacation Spot. 

Love going to Schermerhorn's. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

Not gonna happen. Also; not advocating for the deal, but seeing some of these other proposals, we could do a LOT worse than a guy who has...outproduced Eichel since they were both drafted in 2015 - and Marner has played one less season. (Yes, Jack barely played this past one, but that’s kinda a factor, too) 

Exactly.  I'd also note that it's pretty unlikely that the Sabres get a better player than Marner in return if/when they trade Eichel.

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you seriously never going to learn how to use Twitter?

My friend was employee 75 at Twitter.  He laughed out loud for about 15 seconds when I said that I am "aggressively ignorant" of Twitter.  I don't just ignore Twitter -- I go out of my way to avoid its contents and reprocussions.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

My friend was employee 75 at Twitter.  He laughed out loud for about 15 seconds when I said that I am "aggressively ignorant" of Twitter.  I don't just ignore Twitter -- I go out of my way to avoid its contents and reprocussions.

This seems odd. Like ignoring television, print, the telephone. It's just a communication technology. A phone can be used to let a family speak to a dying relative or to call in a bomb threat to a high school.

Sabres news is out there on Twitter. Why would you ignore it because some people write Tweets you don't like?

20 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Are you seriously never going to learn how to use Twitter?

I don’t use Twitter and have no plans to ever start.

I think the % of the population over age, I’ll say 25, who uses Twitter is a lot smaller than you would think.

Looked it up: only about 20-25% of people in the US use Twitter.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Twitter is the same as anything in life, it has its uses and pitfalls. It's really not hard to avoid the crap on there, just sit some reporters twitter and wait until they report tweet something of interest. You don't need an account, you don't need to have a general feed of garbage, and you don't need to comment on anything. It's basically a running ticker of news if you use it right.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

This seems odd. Like ignoring television, print, the telephone. It's just a communication technology. A phone can be used to let a family speak to a dying relative or to call in a bomb threat to a high school.

Sabres news is out there on Twitter. Why would you ignore it because some people write Tweets you don't like?

Right exactly

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

I know.  To make it truly ironic, I am in IT.  I hate my cell phone, Twitter, and most social media.  I am for paper ballots and manual counting only without voting machines.  (OK, that's because of 2017 DefCon where the attendees hacked every voting machine there in under 5 minutes.)  Compared to most people, I am positively a luddite.  Compared to IT people, I am in the stone age.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Twitter is the same as anything in life, it has its uses and pitfalls. It's really not hard to avoid the crap on there, just sit some reporters twitter and wait until they report tweet something of interest. You don't need an account, you don't need to have a general feed of garbage, and you don't need to comment on anything. It's basically a running ticker of news if you use it right.

Right exactly

I have had discussions on Twitter where I have actually agreed with what someone is saying. However, I still get attacked by them.

Why? Apparently if you don't agree with someone word for word, there are too many people just itching for a fight.

Either that, or they are just so eager to make their point that if anyone replies to them they barely read the reply they're just going to attack everyone and restate what they want to say.

Besides a rolling news feed, it has the potential for great discussions, however there are too many people that just want to pound their chest and say look at me... Or I'm right and you're all idiots.

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I have had discussions on Twitter where I have actually agreed with what someone is saying. However, I still get attacked by them.

Why? Apparently if you don't agree with someone word for word, there are too many people just itching for a fight.

Either that, or they are just so eager to make their point that if anyone replies to them they barely read the reply they're just going to attack everyone and restate what they want to say.

Besides a rolling news feed, it has the potential for great discussions, however there are too many people that just want to pound their chest and say look at me... Or I'm right and you're all idiots.

I’m on Twitter all the time and yet I barely post for this exact reason. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Love going to Schermerhorn's. 

I love the whole area, it’s nice relaxing vacation 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Exactly.  I'd also note that it's pretty unlikely that the Sabres get a better player than Marner in return if/when they trade Eichel.

It’s exceptionally unlikely. Marner is a top 10 league scorer. For instance, it’s much more likely 3 overall and Comtois don’t really even come close. Of course there are other factors, but people do tend to lean to heavily towards the “mystery box”, futures side of these deals. Heck, from everything KA has said, he is, too.  

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

Right exactly

I am a user, but I’d argue it’s a little more dangerous and tricky than the other forms of media PA was alluding to. You are correct it can be configured to better usage, but the dangers of living in an echo chamber are ever present, and the algorithms are specifically designed to present and flood users with divisive content. Reading Twitter one would get the impression everyone is divided into specific, unmoving camps where endless disagreement is inevitable. 

They also design the algorithm to present you with content that keeps you scrolling. Most of the battle is just being aware of this all, but sometimes you are guided towards engaging in content you never normally would and are made to process information on the scale that our brains aren’t necessarily designed to process all at once. 

Twitter is useful but it’s not neutral. Those inputing the algorithms have their biases, and the algorithms are getting smart, too. Not machines taking over smart- but maybe the 100 year prequel 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, steveoath said:

Bleurgh! That marner contract is brutal. However, for sh!ts and giggles. How about Eichel and Okposo for Marner and Robertson?

I have zero interest in bringing Marner onto a team with zero talent around him. It’s not a setting I believe he can strive in.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Every team knows the options and timeline of his injury going forward. 

Dave Pagnota of the fourth period on WGR

Dave Pagnotta has been the most consistently incorrect reporter I know, for the record. The only thing I’ve ever seen him hit on was Tavares to the Leafs (he was first).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I am a user, but I’d argue it’s a little more dangerous and tricky than the other forms of media PA was alluding to. You are correct it can be configured to better usage, but the dangers of living in an echo chamber are ever present, and the algorithms are specifically designed to present and flood users with divisive content. Reading Twitter one would get the impression everyone is divided into specific, unmoving camps where endless disagreement is inevitable. 

They also design the algorithm to present you with content that keeps you scrolling. Most of the battle is just being aware of this all, but sometimes you are guided towards engaging in content you never normally would and are made to process information on the scale that our brains aren’t necessarily designed to process all at once. 

Twitter is useful but it’s not neutral. Those inputing the algorithms have their biases, and the algorithms are getting smart, too. Not machines taking over smart- but maybe the 100 year prequel 

If you’re talking about Twitter algorithms then you’re doing it wrong (although they announce some changes this week). 

My feed consists of only those people I follow, and it is displayed in chronological order. Other than the ads they put, what does this mystery algorithm have to do with what I’m seeing? It’s not like I get done reading a tweet and they’re suggesting a new one for me to read like watching a YouTube video.

• Like (+1) 2