Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

Just now, Drag0nDan said:

2.25 mil cap hit, and he has 10 goals this year.  

Hall had 3 assists in the 13 games leading up to the deadline fwiw (before sitting for injury prevention) - and has 2 goals this year. 

Nah man, Hall sucks balls and I hate his guts, but I know his name and I dont' know the name of the guy with 5 times his goal total, so we should have simply told boston to give us Pastrnak 

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Certainly. I cap at 2nd, and just like Boston I'd have really pushed for just a 3rd.

On the Sabres side --- instead of taking Bjork and giving away my only grit C in Lazar, really my only gritty forward, period... (Cozens isn't and shouldn't be as a rookie, Okposo could but can't respond to anything because he's a jostle away from concussion) ---   if Boston needs to free up $800k, then we just say "give us an AHL JAG." The equivalent of JS Dea or CJ Smith. If Bjork is being replaced in the lineup, then Boston can always demote him. His 1.6M will clear waivers. He can take the place of the Dea/Smith equivalent for Providence.

Boston needed to create cap space.  AHL JAGs don’t affect NHL cap space.  They needed to change one of their NHL guys for someone cheaper.

• Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres shouldn't be near the cap next year unless Adams is really really really bad at his job. 

The Sabres should be at the cap because we will not be a playoff team and can get assets for bad contracts on expiring deals.

By my count, we have no less than 6 holes going into next season. One of our biggest issues has been reaching on players to fill these holes and improper slotting. No team fills 6 holes in a season.

Sign Laughton, lock up a starter (Ullmark/Grubauer), sign a strong #2 goalie (especially if we land Grubauer), take on a bad contract for someone breaking into the league, and play the young guys. We will be markedly improved over this season, our youngster can make strides, we can hit 85 points for the first time since 2011, and make the playoffs the next season with Quinn and our first from this season on the roster. 

People (not you) need to stop expecting 30+ point jumps in the standings and we need to rebuild like a real hockey team. 

4 minutes ago, #freejame said:

The Sabres should be at the cap because we will not be a playoff team and can get assets for bad contracts on expiring deals.

By my count, we have no less than 6 holes going into next season. One of our biggest issues has been reaching on players to fill these holes and improper slotting. No team fills 6 holes in a season.

Sign Laughton, lock up a starter (Ullmark/Grubauer), sign a strong #2 goalie (especially if we land Grubauer), take on a bad contract for someone breaking into the league, and play the young guys. We will be markedly improved over this season, our youngster can make strides, we can hit 85 points for the first time since 2011, and make the playoffs the next season with Quinn and our first from this season on the roster. 

People (not you) need to stop expecting 30+ point jumps in the standings and we need to rebuild like a real hockey team. 

Laughton signs with Philly. 5 years, 3 mil per

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

My thought is that Adams doesn’t have the experience to know what offer is better than the next.

My thought is he does know the best offer, he is a smart guy.   What he doesn’t know is how to deal with the other GMs.  Negotiation takes experience.   Knowing how to present a win-win takes experience.  Spending time as an AGM, working under a good GM, would help - although Botterill had that and he was usually forced to operate from a position of weakness (ROR, Scandella). 

Also, in this instance Adams is operating at a disadvantage.   Everyone knows Hall is struggling and might be finished.  Everyone knows Adams will take whatever he can.  Eating the full salary and not making the trade might send a message to other GMs that he cannot be taken advantage of, but he is playing with Terry’s money and that may not go over well.  

Still disappointed to not get a 1.  Even worse is trading Lazar for a player that costs more and might not be better.  Lazar was gritty, a good face off guy, a decent PK checker type, and a good 4th line soldier.  Lazar will make a good Broon. 

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I think he literally just re-signed as you posted this

This team has enough Youth/youngsters, they need to sign veterans who will make a difference and a coach (and maybe GM) that can get the best out of what they have. They need to get the right coach, and be searching in the high end of the FA Pool, not the bargain bins to fill up the bottom of the roster. The problem with this team (besides bad inexperience bad coaches) is they don't have many high end difference makers. They made the right moves this offseason (in theory) by going after veteran leadership (Staal) and a high end offensive player (Hall). Unfortunately Staal seemed to be past his prime and not interested in being here, while Hall seems to be the kind of player who is going to put in the work to carry a team and make them better. Just handing over the team and the top spots to the youngsters hoping they just develop into the roles almost never works out. They need to have to battle and beat out guys infront of them to earn their spots

2 minutes ago, #freejame said:

With respect to the highlighted comment I'm with you. Trying to respond to roster building by relying on patchwork is a road to nowhere serious. This organization's wrong belief that by filling the gaps with down-side players would be a solution was an enticing trap that we mistakenly repeated. Not only didn't it work but it set us back. Because of the overall substandard drafting there wasn't an adequate well  of players to draw from. What it demonstrated is that expediency doesn't work when a longer term strategy is called for. 

The younger players such as Mitts, Thompson, Joki, Dahlin, Bryson, Apslund etc are forming a good core with upside. It's taken time for these players to be ready for the big league. Attempting to short-circuit the developmental process not only didn't work but it set us back. And as you noted emphasizing the goaltending position will do more than anything else to make us competitive. 

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

My thought is he does know the best offer, he is a smart guy.   What he doesn’t know is how to deal with the other GMs.  Negotiation takes experience.   Knowing how to present a win-win takes experience.  Spending time as an AGM, working under a good GM, would help - although Botterill had that and he was usually forced to operate from a position of weakness (ROR, Scandella). 

Also, in this instance Adams is operating at a disadvantage.   Everyone knows Hall is struggling and might be finished.  Everyone knows Adams will take whatever he can.  Eating the full salary and not making the trade might send a message to other GMs that he cannot be taken advantage of, but he is playing with Terry’s money and that may not go over well.  

Still disappointed to not get a 1.  Even worse is trading Lazar for a player that costs more and might not be better.  Lazar was gritty, a good face off guy, a decent PK checker type, and a good 4th line soldier.  Lazar will make a good Broon. 

its more likely that is just shows the other GMs and the rest of the league that he is in over his head and doesn't know what he is doing (and over values what he has). If Hall had more term on his deal, or the Sabres were a borderline playoff team, then it could be argued he shouldn't just deal him for whatever is the best he can get. But with them all but locking up the worst record in the league, and Hall becoming a UFA at the end of the season, holding onto him does nothing good for the franchise.

• Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think he literally just re-signed as you posted this

This team has enough Youth/youngsters, they need to sign veterans who will make a difference and a coach (and maybe GM) that can get the best out of what they have. They need to get the right coach, and be searching in the high end of the FA Pool, not the bargain bins to fill up the bottom of the roster. The problem with this team (besides bad inexperience bad coaches) is they don't have many high end difference makers. They made the right moves this offseason (in theory) by going after veteran leadership (Staal) and a high end offensive player (Hall). Unfortunately Staal seemed to be past his prime and not interested in being here, while Hall seems to be the kind of player who is going to put in the work to carry a team and make them better. Just handing over the team and the top spots to the youngsters hoping they just develop into the roles almost never works out. They need to have to battle and beat out guys infront of them to earn their spots

I agree with this, but there’s only one top six player I would want and that’s Landeskog and I really doubt he’s available. Even then that just settles the 2LW spot. I am far from convinced on our bottom-6, but we have six players on the roster today who could appropriately slot as third line players. Counting Girgs and KO, i don’t see a reason to search the bargain bin. Definitely wanted Laughton though, it’s disappointing he re-signed. I think if we take on a bad contract (someone smarter than me say who), we can get a player who is a competent NHL player who once adjusted is a legit top-6. It happens every season for someone. Why not us?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

The Sabres shouldn't be near the cap next year unless Adams is really really really bad at his job. 

Well, having $9MM tied up on a 2nd line W and $6MM tied up in a 4th line W will have this team fairly close to the cap unless they don't bring back any of Ullmark, Reinhart, or McCabe - all important pieces that will get raises if they're back & don't bring any outside help at top 6, D, nor 2nd G.

Regardless of Adams skill (which remains in question).

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Well, TP did agree to pay $8MM for Hall this season, and eat 50% of Hall's salary for the last 1/3 of the season (so TP is paying 5/6 of Hall's salary), so I don't think there were financial constraints on KA in this deal.

Bottom line is that Hall was terrible all year and that, as Bob McKenzie reported, no one was going to give the Sabres a #1 for him. 

The rest of it (not your post -- I'm referring to all 23 pages of this thread) is just noise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.