2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

I know we're just sports fans shooting the breeze here, so no harm in discussing hypotheticals, but I do feel like "would you trade Trubisky if someone offered a first for him?" is equivalent to "would you trade Trubisky if aliens came to earth and offered a super titanium terminator liquid metal for him?"

• Haha (+1) 3

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I know we're just sports fans shooting the breeze here, so no harm in discussing hypotheticals, but I do feel like "would you trade Trubisky if someone offered a first for him?" is equivalent to "would you trade Trubisky if aliens came to earth and offered a super titanium terminator liquid metal for him?"

It could happen.  Honestly, I know Beane knows what he is doing, but I actually doubt he’ll trade even for a first or the Terminator.  I think he is all in this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

The answer to both is an easy yes.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Until some starting QB gets injured, sure.

4 hours ago, TerryFolds said:

Trading the best backup in the league at the most important position in football, on a Super Bowl contending team, for a future late first rounder?

Only on a Sabres message board would fans rather collect first round draft picks than win games.

This is the most Sabrespace thing that has ever been posted.

Edited by Weave
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

9 hours ago, TerryFolds said:

Trading the best backup in the league at the most important position in football, on a Super Bowl contending team, for a future late first rounder?

Only on a Sabres message board would fans rather collect first round draft picks than win games.

This is an oversimplification of the situation. Only Bills fans would say they won’t trade their backup QB who has a 0% chance of staying longer than one year for a first purely because of two PRESEASON games.

6 minutes ago, Hoss said:

This is an oversimplification of the situation. Only Bills fans would say they won’t trade their backup QB who has a 0% chance of staying longer than one year for a first purely because of two PRESEASON games.

Many of us watched him play in Chicago as well.  

It still would be stupid to trade him.  Do you think Davis Webb can handle the team if Allen is hurt?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

9 hours ago, TerryFolds said:

Why are you assuming it’s a late first round pick?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Why are you assuming it’s a late first round pick?

Actually, it's pretty likely.  A team that feels it's a Superbowl contender would be more likely to give up a first if their starter goes down and their first has less value because it is likely a later-rounder (not quite the difference that you see in the NHL, but there still is some.)  Which adds another wrinkle to the debate: would you want to help a team that thinks it's a contender this year?  Extreme example: if Mahomes goes out for six+ games mid-season, would you trade Trubisky to them for their first?

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, carpandean said:

Actually, it's pretty likely.  A team that feels it's a Superbowl contender would be more likely to give up a first if their starter goes down and their first has less value because it is likely a later-rounder (not quite the difference that you see in the NHL, but there still is some.)  Which adds another wrinkle to the debate: would you want to help a team that thinks it's a contender this year?  Extreme example: if Mahomes goes out for six+ games mid-season, would you trade Trubisky to them for their first?

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Because the Bears always had late first rounders when he was their starter … wait.

Well the NFL differs from the NHL where really good players can be had at the end of the 1st round.  Tre White, Brandon Aiyuk, Josh Jacobs, Greg Rousseau ?, Lamar Jackson, Calvin Ridley.  The list goes on.  I’d have to think long and hard about passing up an opportunity to draft another one of those guys for a guy you never want to see the field.  

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’d have to think long and hard about passing up an opportunity to draft another one of those guys for a guy you never want to see the field.  

You never want to go to the ED or have a car accident or have a fire or .... but you're glad you paid the premiums on your insurance if you do. 😉

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

They insurance for that?

😁

Serious side note: when did the ER become the ED?  I had started hearing other people using that recently.  Then, when I had reason to go to urgent care and then the ER/ED, both the doc at urgent care and the NP at my PCP's office said "go to the ED."  I looked down at my zipper and then said, "oh, the Emergency Department!"

BTW, searching for "Strong ED" did not give me what I was looking either.  (For those not in Rochester, Strong Memorial is a local hospital.)

Edited by carpandean
  • Like (+1) 1

Trading your backup QB for a 1st is an excellent move. Unless you are the Bills. 

Believe it or not, they are a SB contender this season. Somehow. 

If JA goes down in week 14, or the first game of the playoffs, Mitch is a nice luxury to have. Davis Webb or Jake From State Farm isn’t going to carry them. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, drnkirishone said:

sounds like mister anti-vax is on the 5 day no-no list for close contact with someone. him and 3 other Bills it sounds like.

Yeah, when it's the regular season and we lose a game these guys are ineligible because of tbis I hope the fans and fellow players who support these guys don't whitewash it. In my opinion for most guys this is making a statement not fear of the vaccine. We know who they're listening to and it's Fox News. I would love if Beasley took this act back to Dallas. Liked the signing but now could care less to see him around. 

On 8/23/2021 at 1:36 PM, inkman said:

Well the NFL differs from the NHL where really good players can be had at the end of the 1st round.  Tre White, Brandon Aiyuk, Josh Jacobs, Greg Rousseau ?, Lamar Jackson, Calvin Ridley.  The list goes on.  I’d have to think long and hard about passing up an opportunity to draft another one of those guys for a guy you never want to see the field.  

What are the odds that a late first rounder becomes a Pro Bowler, versus the odds that a starting QB gets injured? The 2021 Bills have the potential to be something special, possibly in the class of the 1964 or 1990 teams. Until Buffalo wins its first Super Bowl, I'm always going to prioritize the present over the future.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, TerryFolds said:

What are the odds that a late first rounder becomes a Pro Bowler, versus the odds that a starting QB gets injured? The 2021 Bills have the potential to be something special, possibly in the class of the 1964 or 1990 teams. Until Buffalo wins its first Super Bowl, I'm always going to prioritize the present over the future.

Let's see.  14 playoff teams.  Looking at the bottom 14 picks of the first round of every draft since 2010, we see the following Pro Bowlers:

2010: 4/14

2011: 4/14

2012: 5/14

2013: 7/14

2014: 4/14

2015: 1/14

2016: 2/14

2017: 4/14

2018: 3/14

2019: 1/14

2020: 1/14

2019 and 2020 players haven't had much chance to make the Pro Bowl.  For the other 9 seasons, we have 34/126, or 27%.  Our own Bills are 1/2 in that time (Shaq Lawson, Tre White).

I was already on board with trading, but this even further cements my decision.

6 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Let's see.  14 playoff teams.  Looking at the bottom 14 picks of the first round of every draft since 2010, we see the following Pro Bowlers:

2010: 4/14

2011: 4/14

2012: 5/14

2013: 7/14

2014: 4/14

2015: 1/14

2016: 2/14

2017: 4/14

2018: 3/14

2019: 1/14

2020: 1/14

2019 and 2020 players haven't had much chance to make the Pro Bowl.  For the other 9 seasons, we have 34/126, or 27%.  Our own Bills are 1/2 in that time (Shaq Lawson, Tre White).

I was already on board with trading, but this even further cements my decision.

Excellent research, but what about the percentage chance that a starting QB misses significant time during a season? And don't forget the third round compensation pick we'll get from losing Trubisky in the off-season to a big contract.

I'm taking the Trubisky insurance policy now over a 1 in 4 chance the pick becomes a Pro Bowler 3 to 5 years from now. So would Beane. Beane knows that he'd lose the locker room if he traded Trubisky. It would be him admitting that the team is Allen and just a bunch of other dudes. And it's not. The defense and the running game should be noticeably better this year from last.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, TerryFolds said:

Excellent research, but what about the percentage chance that a starting QB misses significant time during a season? And don't forget the third round compensation pick we'll get from losing Trubisky in the off-season to a big contract.

I'm taking the Trubisky insurance policy now over a 1 in 4 chance the pick becomes a Pro Bowler 3 to 5 years from now. So would Beane. Beane knows that he'd lose the locker room if he traded Trubisky. It would be him admitting that the team is Allen and just a bunch of other dudes. And it's not. The defense and the running game should be noticeably better this year from last.

That's a lot more effort to look up, so I'll just do last year's playoff teams.

Brees missed 4 games to injury. Trubisky lost his job to Foles due to sucking, but got it back in week 10 after Foles got hurt. On Washington, Haskins got benched for Allen, who later got benched for Smith, who later got benched for Haskins.

All in all, it's still an easy trade, and I bet Beane makes it 100 times out of 100.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.