2021 Buffalo Bills

Brawndo

2 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

Is there anyone that wouldn't trade Trubisky for a first, if an offer like that popped up?  Mitch isn't looking for a backup spot, so it's not like he'd stick around after this season anyway.

In a potential SuperBowl season, it would be great to have that kind of an insurance policy.  That said, no, I don't think many would turn down a first for him.  A second?  Hmmmm.....

Mitch revenge game 

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Is there anyone that wouldn't trade Trubisky for a first, if an offer like that popped up?  Mitch isn't looking for a backup spot, so it's not like he'd stick around after this season anyway.

I could see it both ways. Right now, he looks like an incredible insurance policy. Knock on wood!!!!!!!!

However, Beane is savvy and if a first gets offered up, he may have to have it. 

3 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Is there any GM that would be willing to answer the inevitable question of why he didn't simply sign Trubitsky this off-season rather than waste a 1st to save ~$16MM?

Can't see any 1st round offers coming in for him & honestly would rather have him than an extra 1st.  If Allen goes down, could see the team easily going 2-2 & possibly 3-1 w/ Mitch behind Morse.  Any other potential backups give you that sort of confidence?

This year is an incredible opportunity to win it all.  Next year they could easily lose 1 or both coordinators & they also could lose somebody like Morse, Beasley, or Hughes.  No guarantees in the future; would hate to see them hedge their bets towards the future.

Don't dump Mitch.  Bring in Ertz.  My 2 cents.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Is there any GM that would be willing to answer the inevitable question of why he didn't simply sign Trubitsky this off-season rather than waste a 1st to save ~$16MM?

Can't see any 1st round offers coming in for him & honestly would rather have him than an extra 1st.  If Allen goes down, could see the team easily going 2-2 & possibly 3-1 w/ Mitchell behind Morse.  Any 9ther potential backups give you that sort of confidence?

This year is an incredible opportunity to win it all.  Next year they could easily lose 1 or both coordinators & they also could lose somebody like Morse, Beasley, or Hughes.  No guarantees in the future; would hate to see them hedge their bets towards the future.

The Bills were close last year.  This year they are legit contenders and have to go for it.  They have to get and / or keep any player that they feel makes them better, even if it's just a little bit better, because based on last year they really only need to be a little bit better to get past KC.  I don't think that Brady will be able to do what he did last year.  This is their chance.  They need to approach this season as if it's their best shot at it.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Can't see any 1st round offers coming in for him & honestly would rather have him than an extra 1st.  If Allen goes down, could see the team easily going 2-2 & possibly 3-1 w/ Mitch behind Morse.  Any other potential backups give you that sort of confidence?

It's a win/win situation.  Either they have him as a dependable backup this year or they get a first out of him.  I'd take the first, pretty much without hesitation, but I am not, nor will I ever be a GM.  I think our defense is going to be significantly improved this year, and we have one of the best receiver corps in the league, so I think we can muddle by 4 games fine with a backup, assuming those 4 games aren't in the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, JujuFish said:

It's a win/win situation.  Either they have him as a dependable backup this year or they get a first out of him.  I'd take the first, pretty much without hesitation, but I am not, nor will I ever be a GM.  I think our defense is going to be significantly improved this year, and we have one of the best receiver corps in the league, so I think we can muddle by 4 games fine with a backup, assuming those 4 games aren't in the playoffs.

You OK with Webb or some scrub off other teams' cut lists costing the Bills the bye this year?  Because whether they'd've done better w/ Trubitsky or not, going 2-2 and getting beat out by KC by a single game or tie-breaker & that WILL be the narrative.

When you're close, go for it.  Don't hedge to the future.

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, JujuFish said:

No, nobody should turn down a first for Trubisky if that offer were to come even though it’s never going to happen. It’d be insane not to and I get the desire to have a good backup but at the end of the day Josh is what makes this team a Super Bowl contender. If he gets hurt and can’t play your chances disappear.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No, nobody should turn down a first for Trubisky if that offer were to come even though it’s never going to happen. It’d be insane not to and I get the desire to have a good backup but at the end of the day Josh is what makes this team a Super Bowl contender. If he gets hurt and can’t play your chances disappear.

Exactly, just like when the Eagles lost Carson Wentz to injury and had to go with Nick Foles and…..oh wait, not a good example.

• Thanks (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, Hoss said:

If he goes down for good, then you're probably right.  However, if he goes down mid-season for a stretch, then a very good backup could make a big difference versus a mediocre one.  A couple of extra wins significantly changes your chances at home field advantage or even a bye.  Those could make a difference in what even the Josh-led Bills can do in the end.

Edited by carpandean
  • Thanks (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Exactly, just like when the Eagles lost Carson Wentz to injury and had to go with Nick Foles and…..oh wait, not a good example.

Carson Wentz was never what Josh Allen is.

21 minutes ago, carpandean said:

If he goes down for good, then you're probably right.  However, if he goes down mid-season for a stretch, then a very good backup could make a big difference versus a mediocre one.  A couple of extra wins significantly changes your chances at home field advantage or even a bye.  Those could make a difference in what even the Josh-led Bills can do in the end.

Yes, this is what having Mitchell is good for. It Josh gets hurt for a handful games which is very possible given his style you want a viable backup to be able to put you in position to win those games. Teams don’t acquire backup QBs to improve their chances of winning in the playoffs.

22 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Carson Wentz was never what Josh Allen is.

Yes, this is what having Mitchell is good for. It Josh gets hurt for a handful games which is very possible given his style you want a viable backup to be able to put you in position to win those games. Teams don’t acquire backup QBs to improve their chances of winning in the playoffs.

Its not really the point, but ok, on that we agree.

I think people are underrating how important it is going to be for this team to have good players on rookie contracts for the next few years. Not being willing to trade a mediocre QB for a 1st is lunacy (but, again, it’s not happening. Nobody is even going to offer a 4th unless he does this in the regular season for a couple games).

Edited by Hoss
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hoss said:

I think people are underrating how important it is going to be for this team to have good players on rookie contracts for the next few years. Not being willing to trade a mediocre QB for a 1st is lunacy (but, again, it’s not happening. Nobody is even going to offer a 4th unless he does this in the regular season for a couple games).

Do the Bills get to one of their Super Bowls without Frank Reich?  Do the Eagles or Giants win Super Bowls without Foles or Hosteller?  We finally have a capable backup who fits the system and he should trade him for futures? The future is now.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Do the Bills get to one of their Super Bowls without Frank Reich?  Do the Eagles or Giants win Super Bowls without Foles or Hosteller?  We finally have a capable backup who fits the system and he should trade him for futures? The future is now.  

Mitch's future with Buffalo is a cup of coffee.

If someone offers a first. Take it.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Leaf Blower said:

Yes he’ll probably be here one year  but we are trying to win it all this year. Getting Mitch is part of that strategy.  He was brought in as insurance for Allen so that we can winning in case, G-d forbid, Allen gets hurt.  It’s especially important for running/mobile QBs.

Don’t forget we’ll be much tighter to the cap when Allen’s contract kicks in next season.  This is the window to win it all.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Leaf Blower said:

A great poet wrote ... 'the future is unwritten'

That said the Bills future is now.  Mitch's future is right now and for 1 year that cup of coffee could be held by someone as he hoists the Lombardi.

Forget the first.  This year the Bills have to go for it.  Even Beane has to realize this.  That's the bottom line.  I would be surprised if Mitch is traded.  

And ... another bottom line (bottomer line ??) ... no one is going to offer a 1st for this guy.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Hoss said:

The cap is going to explode and getting their stars signed long term before will allow the present contenders to extend their window. Rookie contracts, while always beneficial, will not have the same importance as they have had in the past.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If there’s remote interest in him as a starter he walks after this season.

This conversation is making my brain hurt. You trade Trubisky for a first if someone is stupid enough to offer a first. Or a second for that matter. My lord.

Another reason to do it: if you acquire a first it gives you even more fire power to offer a first in a deal if you see a means to upgrading the team immediately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.