2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

Well at minimum he has been helping Cozens + as Cozens himself has mentioned it. 

The other reason I was getting at is I want Adams to play hardball is to prevent teams from thinking he'll crack under the pressure and cave on demands. If no one offers better than a 4th for Staal, I'd just take my ball and go home. If one team offers a 3rd and 5th, I'd likely say yes but we need Adams to show he isn't weak.

Staal for a 2nd. No less. 

And start shopping now. Don’t wait. 

Who are the most likely players to get traded? Staal, Hall and either Miller or Montour (probably him).  

All that does is subtract three players that hopefully kids or others can adequately replace.

Skinner moves to the first line with hopefully a healthy Jack and Reinhart

Mitts gets in the lineup full time, which should already have happened, probably with VO and Lazar

Then you still have Asplund, Thompson, Rieder, Sheahan, Eakin and KO to work with, plus hopefully R2 and maybe Quinn get some PT in the NHL.  

However none of this precludes moving Mitts or Cozens to center and/or using some of the assets gained in the trades to add center depth, goaltending or a RW.   There are 19 teams still in the playoff hunt.  Very few of the sellers have players available as accomplished at Hall or Staal.  

If I were KA I'd honestly be on the lookout for near ready prospects rather then draft picks.  Maybe you take a mediocre player back in the deal to make the money work and a defensive D near ready prospect or a RW although Cozens to move to center where he belongs.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/12/2021 at 11:49 AM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm seriously wondering why anyone thinks that Staal is an added value to our top five draft pick. His play has been absolute dogpoo. You couldn't look any more done than he looks.

if Carolina wants him you aren't getting anything more than a low pick in a future year. That's it. It's a mercy killing at this point. He has no actual value.

Just set him from this drudgery. Get what you can.

Lord have mercy.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:49 AM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I'm seriously wondering why anyone thinks that Staal is an added value to our top five draft pick. His play has been absolute dogpoo. You couldn't look any more done than he looks.

if Carolina wants him you aren't getting anything more than a low pick in a future year. That's it. It's a mercy killing at this point. He has no actual value.

Atleast four teams have interest according to NHL Tonight last night. Surely there must be some value there?

I suspect when it's all said and done he will bring atleast a second.

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Atleast four teams have interest according to NHL Tonight last night. Surely there must be some value there?

I suspect when it's all said and done he will bring atleast a second.

At !east a second? I say third or fourth. He's a rental and his play significantly dropped off. Okay, I know he's playing on a bad team but I would love a second but ,in my opinion , not going to happen.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Radar said:

At !east a second? I say third or fourth. He's a rental and his play significantly dropped off. Okay, I know he's playing on a bad team but I would love a second but ,in my opinion , not going to happen.

Patrick Marleau garnered a conditional second last year, that yielded a third. Much older, and less productive. Kovalchuk to the Caps resulted in a third. I think a third is the absolute floor.  Should be interesting to see if Kevy gets “Scandellad”. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who are the most likely players to get traded? Staal, Hall and either Miller or Montour (probably him).  

All that does is subtract three players that hopefully kids or others can adequately replace.

Skinner moves to the first line with hopefully a healthy Jack and Reinhart

Mitts gets in the lineup full time, which should already have happened, probably with VO and Lazar

Then you still have Asplund, Thompson, Rieder, Sheahan, Eakin and KO to work with, plus hopefully R2 and maybe Quinn get some PT in the NHL.  

However none of this precludes moving Mitts or Cozens to center and/or using some of the assets gained in the trades to add center depth, goaltending or a RW.   There are 19 teams still in the playoff hunt.  Very few of the sellers have players available as accomplished at Hall or Staal.  

If I were KA I'd honestly be on the lookout for near ready prospects rather then draft picks.  Maybe you take a mediocre player back in the deal to make the money work and a defensive D near ready prospect or a RW although Cozens to move to center where he belongs.

Looking at the top prospects in the draft, they are mostly defensemen, so we will have another good young d man next year. Does that mean we might trade one of the several young players already in the system? 

53 minutes ago, Radar said:

I just think contending teams will pay a second considering it will most likely be late in the round anyways. It all depends on what KA can leverage.

If a 3rd or 4th is the only thing available then take it, and draft a goaltender 

1. Assume we retain 25-50% on Staal, Hall, Miller, and Montour.

1.a. Do we want just a pick, a player and a pick, or just players?

1.b. For any player acquired, what percentage are AHL vets, low-end NHLers, project prospects, and decent prospects?

2. Who else do you move out?

2.a. Are there players you just want to dump?

2.b. Whom do you think you could move in a hockey trade?  What would you look for in return?

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

1. Assume we retain 25-50% on Staal, Hall, Miller, and Montour. You can only have 3 retentions.

1.a. Do we want just a pick, a player and a pick, or just players?  

1.b. For any player acquired, what percentage are AHL vets, low-end NHLers, project prospects, and decent prospects?

2. Who else do you move out?

2.a. Are there players you just want to dump?

2.b. Whom do you think you could move in a hockey trade?  What would you look for in return?

I don't know who Anthony Scultore is but I clipped this from one of his stories today in Google News...

"Are the Islanders willing to part with the first round pick it will take to land Hall? That’s going to be the starting price and then Lou Lamoriello will have to add more if he wants him."

Really? Is a first plus realistic or is this guy full of it? 

Also this:

NHL Rumors: Elvis Merzlikins in Edmonton

Mike Smith has provided the Oilers with good goaltending of late, however they are still looking to improve in net. Rumors are surfacing that they could be in on Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Elvis Merzlikins.

The 26 year-old net-minder is 4-3-2 this season with a .908 SV% and a 3.02 GAA. In 44 NHL games Merzlikins numbers are excellent as he sports a 2.51 GAA and a .919 SV% to go with a 17-12-10 record.

If this guy is available GMKA better be all over it. Edmonton picked up Stalock, has gotten decent goaltending and is still looking for more. 

Can the Sabres get one? 

27 minutes ago, Norcal said:

I don't know who Anthony Scultore is but I clipped this from one of his stories today in Google News...

"Are the Islanders willing to part with the first round pick it will take to land Hall? That’s going to be the starting price and then Lou Lamoriello will have to add more if he wants him."

Really? Is a first plus realistic or is this guy full of it? 

Also this:

NHL Rumors: Elvis Merzlikins in Edmonton

Mike Smith has provided the Oilers with good goaltending of late, however they are still looking to improve in net. Rumors are surfacing that they could be in on Columbus Blue Jackets goalie Elvis Merzlikins.

The 26 year-old net-minder is 4-3-2 this season with a .908 SV% and a 3.02 GAA. In 44 NHL games Merzlikins numbers are excellent as he sports a 2.51 GAA and a .919 SV% to go with a 17-12-10 record.

If this guy is available GMKA better be all over it. Edmonton picked up Stalock, has gotten decent goaltending and is still looking for more. 

Can the Sabres get one? 

I would think Buffalo should be able to get a late first for Hall, and a 2nd-3rd for Staal.

However, Buffalo would probably need to retain the max 50% and or take back some 1 year deadweight salary in either case.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

It's not like we need the cap space to add anyone this season. I'm fine with the max retention but I'm not down with taking boat anchors that go past this season. I'd do a max retain and then an expiring boat anchor that equals Halls money if it maximizes the return.

Exactly.  Yes, I can’t imagine that they would take on a bad contract beyond this season in a Hall trade.  I just wanted to convey that almost all teams are extremely tight on money, so some fanangling will probably need to happen to make the $ work. 

Serious question: 

Team A offers a low 1st (say, the 25th pick) for Hall. 

Team B offers a 6th-round pick and a lousy, overpaid veteran whose contract expires this summer for Hall and Okposo.

Which offer should the Sabres take?

As a reminder, KO has 2 more seasons after this one at $6MM per season.

(For the record, no one is taking Skinner, so we're only talking about KO.)

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

Team B offers a 6th-round pick and a lousy, overpaid veteran whose contract expires this summer for Hall and Okposo.

This year I take Offer B.  The draft is even more of a crapshoot than usual this year and dumping that Okposo contract would be delightful

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

I take B.  Money for Reinhart, Dahlin, and good character players throughout the line-up.  Many solid and decent players got little more than the league minimum this year and teams are still stuck next year.  Fill out a balanced line-up, please.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Serious question: 

This is a good question.  To me, it depends on the path of the team moving forward.

1) If the team is going to “rebuild”, trading core players for ELC players/picks, definitely take the 1st.

2) If the team is going all in again next season, taking the Okposo parachute deal could make sense.

Also, a note on late 1st round picks in the 2021 draft.  Because this draft class is going to be somewhat under scouted, I feel like there might be more “misses” than normal.  At #25, there could be players on the board who would normally go ~10th in a normal season with a full set of games.  Just something to think about.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 2