2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Skinner and Montour to the Sharks for Karlsson and a pick.

Two contracts that suck but Karlsson can mentor Dahlin.

I realize there are NTCs involved but both teams are disappointed with these big deals.

Tuned in to The Instigators today did ya 🙂

Personally, I don't want Karlsson's contract, Skinner or Montour's contracts, or Dahlin for that matter. Clean up the cap, and the roster mess.

On 3/15/2021 at 12:28 PM, DHawerchuk10 said:

"If this wasn't freakin astro-turf, I'd dig a grave here for myself"

Now you get out there and you pull their heads off and you ***** down their necks!!! 

...let us pray.

16 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I realize there are NTCs involved but both teams are disappointed with these big deals.

I don't think we should trade a bad contract for a worse contract. Adding 2.5mil to the cap for Karlsson makes me nauseous especially considering the depth of defense the Sabres have. 

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Personally, I don't want Karlsson's contract, Skinner or Montour's contracts, or Dahlin for that matter. Clean up the cap, and the roster mess.

You are insane

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Karlsson's contract is far worse than even Skinner's contract.

Karlsson is 30, 31 as of May 30th, this year with 6+1 years left on a 11.5 mil cap hit.

Skinner is 28, 29 as of May 16th, with 6+1 years left on a 9 mil cap hit.

2.5 mil is not chump change and trading a terrible contract for one that is arguably worse isn't the answer.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

You are insane

Karlsson's contract is far worse than even Skinner's contract.

Karlsson is 30, 31 as of May 30th, this year with 6+1 years left on a 11.5 mil cap hit.

Skinner is 28, 29 as of May 16th, with 6+1 years left on a 9 mil cap hit.

2.5 mil is not chump change and trading a terrible contract for one that is arguably worse isn't the answer.

Proud Of You Yes GIF

41 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

Actually I did not listen to those guys. 
I read a Hockey News article about Karlsson.

I know there is a $2.5 million difference but I think Karlsson is better than Skinner.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Just think Johansen fills a bigger hole the Sabres need.  A true number 2 center.  Regardless of what the Sabres do with Eichel.  

I have a hard time seeing why Nashville would make the move.  I think both of their players are better than the counter parts you listed.  

From The Athletic Who Says No Trade Proposals 

3. Islanders send Anthony Beauvillier, Bode Wilde and a first-round pick to the Predators for Filip Forsberg. — @Isles91

Lou Lamoriello addressed a short- and long-term need last year at the deadline in trading for Jean-Gabriel Pageau and then signing him to a contract extension. There wouldn’t be an immediate extension needed for Forsberg, who still another season left on his deal.

Exec No. 1: “I think the Islanders say no. The first andBeauvillier are too much. I really like Forsberg, but I think there’s a way to spend less and get to that price without giving up Beauvillier. I think (the Islanders) have to do something, but I think Taylor Hall is one that could happen there.”

Exec No. 2: “I don’t rate Wilde, and Beauvillier and a late first doesn’t feel to me like quite enough for Forsberg. But this is close enough to generate discussion.”

5. Buffalo sends center Eric Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes for a second-round pick. — @DrunkMilkBag

It’s fun to think about. Both Pierre LeBrun and Sara Civian have written about it. But that might be an outdated pricetag for Staal, who had 10 points in his first 29 games for the Sabres.

Exec: “Carolina says no. I think they would take him but not for a second-round pick. The absolute home run for Staal is a third-round pick. You’re probably looking at a fourth-rounder now. Buffalo has fewer teams to deal with.”

6. Sabres trade winger Jeff Skinner to Nashville for Matt Duchene. — @2010UCF_Z28

It’s almost like the 2021 version of James Neal for Milan Lucic. That happened fast for a couple of contracts that weren’t signed all that long ago.

Exec: “Nashville says no. I think Duchene has one year less, for one, and there is still the opportunity for it to work. He can play center and wing. That flexibility is more than Jeff has, who is strictly a winger.”

8. Sabres send Taylor Hall to the Islanders for a first-round pick and either Thomas Hickey or Leo Komarov. — @JoshElkin

It’s worth noting that Hall has control over his destination with a no-trade clause, so he’s going to have a say here. It might also impact the price the Sabres receive if there’s a limited number of options.

Exec: “Buffalo says no because they don’t want to take on the money (in Hickey or Komarov) but you have a deal on a first-round pick. To me, those are the pieces of a deal right there. If their contracts were up too, you’d have a deal. A first-round pick for Taylor would be good.”

The Jack Eichel section

10. Buffalo Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Avalanche for defenseman Bowen Byram, Alex Newhook, 2021 second-round pick, unprotected 2022 first-round pick. — @got2bleaf

There were a lot of these Eichel offers. In this one, the Sabres get some top prospects but not the kind of player who compares to Eichel they need to build a proper deal around. The one thing one executive kept stressing is that an Eichel deal only makes sense for Buffalo if it’s getting something close to a comparable player back rather than deals built around futures. Even good futures like these.

Exec: “Sabres say no. They’re losing a world-class first-line player with no guarantee of getting that back. And those draft picks for Colorado, you’re assuming they’re later in each round.”

11. Columbus sends Seth Jones and Emil Bemstrom to the Sabres for Jack Eichel. — @iamTwiggy

This one was at least a little different. It’s not unreasonable to think that Columbus’ best chance at landing Eichel left the moment the Blue Jackets were forced into trading Pierre-Luc Dubois to the Jets — the kind of center you could build a realistic Eichel trade around.

Exec: “Sabres say no. Seth Jones has a deal expiring soon. Next summer, he’s a free agent. It’s just asset management. They would lose him next year.”

12. Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Rangers for Nils Lundkvist, Pavel Buchnevich, Ryan Strome, 2021 first and Braden Schneider. — @vikesfan47

One of many Rangers-Eichel trade proposals. Bonus points for not including any of the Rangers’ best assets.

Exec: “Sabres say no. Jack Eichel should be the Sabres’ untouchable. None of the Rangers quote-unquote untouchables are part of that deal. Adam Fox, Igor Shesterkin, Artemi Panarin — yeah you don’t want to give up those guys, but why would Buffalo want to give up Eichel? Ryan Strome has a year left, and it’s just not that — there’s no first-line forward in that group. And Lundkvist is not signed yet, Buffalo would have to sign him.”

13. Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Minnesota Wild for Kevin Fiala, Matt Dumba and one of the Wild first-round picks… Buffalo gets a decent haul and gets Eichel out of the Eastern Conference. — @ABobeck94

Jack Eichel playing with Kirill Kaprizov is really fun to think about even if this one was shot down pretty quickly.

Exec: “Buffalo says no. You’re not saving any money and you don’t have a first-line player. I like Fiala, but if you’re a good team, he’s a nice scoring second-line player. And Dumba is expensive. Those two guys must be $8 million-plus, Jack is at $10 million and you’re not getting any better.”

14. Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Kings for Quinton Byfield, Alex Turcotte, Adrian Kempe, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, 2022 second-round pick. — @RangerRob13

Now we’re talking. Rob Blake clearing out the system to win again before Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty get too old.

Exec: “That does seem like fantasy hockey, but in a blowup rebuild, that’s what Buffalo would have to be saying yes to. With Turcotte and Byfield, you’re looking at your centers as Dylan Cozens, Byfield and Turcotte down the middle. There’s a lot to be excited for, but boy oh boy, would the fan base have to be patient. If it’s a blowup rebuild, you’d almost have to send out the Rangers letter to Sabres fans and admit it’s happening. That’s enough to entice you if you’re Buffalo, but only if you have ownership’s permission on the blowup. I think the Kings would say no. It’s too much for the Kings. But I think there’s a deal in there for the Kings. Kopitar and Eichel for a few years and then you have a Kopitar replacement. It’s just a little rich for L.A. today.”

28 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

From The Athletic Who Says No Trade Proposals 

3. Islanders send Anthony Beauvillier, Bode Wilde and a first-round pick to the Predators for Filip Forsberg. — @Isles91

Lou Lamoriello addressed a short- and long-term need last year at the deadline in trading for Jean-Gabriel Pageau and then signing him to a contract extension. There wouldn’t be an immediate extension needed for Forsberg, who still another season left on his deal.

Exec No. 1: “I think the Islanders say no. The first andBeauvillier are too much. I really like Forsberg, but I think there’s a way to spend less and get to that price without giving up Beauvillier. I think (the Islanders) have to do something, but I think Taylor Hall is one that could happen there.”

Exec No. 2: “I don’t rate Wilde, and Beauvillier and a late first doesn’t feel to me like quite enough for Forsberg. But this is close enough to generate discussion.”

5. Buffalo sends center Eric Staal to the Carolina Hurricanes for a second-round pick. — @DrunkMilkBag

It’s fun to think about. Both Pierre LeBrun and Sara Civian have written about it. But that might be an outdated pricetag for Staal, who had 10 points in his first 29 games for the Sabres.

Exec: “Carolina says no. I think they would take him but not for a second-round pick. The absolute home run for Staal is a third-round pick. You’re probably looking at a fourth-rounder now. Buffalo has fewer teams to deal with.”

6. Sabres trade winger Jeff Skinner to Nashville for Matt Duchene. — @2010UCF_Z28

It’s almost like the 2021 version of James Neal for Milan Lucic. That happened fast for a couple of contracts that weren’t signed all that long ago.

Exec: “Nashville says no. I think Duchene has one year less, for one, and there is still the opportunity for it to work. He can play center and wing. That flexibility is more than Jeff has, who is strictly a winger.”

8. Sabres send Taylor Hall to the Islanders for a first-round pick and either Thomas Hickey or Leo Komarov. — @JoshElkin

It’s worth noting that Hall has control over his destination with a no-trade clause, so he’s going to have a say here. It might also impact the price the Sabres receive if there’s a limited number of options.

Exec: “Buffalo says no because they don’t want to take on the money (in Hickey or Komarov) but you have a deal on a first-round pick. To me, those are the pieces of a deal right there. If their contracts were up too, you’d have a deal. A first-round pick for Taylor would be good.”

The Jack Eichel section

10. Buffalo Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Avalanche for defenseman Bowen Byram, Alex Newhook, 2021 second-round pick, unprotected 2022 first-round pick. — @got2bleaf

There were a lot of these Eichel offers. In this one, the Sabres get some top prospects but not the kind of player who compares to Eichel they need to build a proper deal around. The one thing one executive kept stressing is that an Eichel deal only makes sense for Buffalo if it’s getting something close to a comparable player back rather than deals built around futures. Even good futures like these.

Exec: “Sabres say no. They’re losing a world-class first-line player with no guarantee of getting that back. And those draft picks for Colorado, you’re assuming they’re later in each round.”

11. Columbus sends Seth Jones and Emil Bemstrom to the Sabres for Jack Eichel. — @iamTwiggy

This one was at least a little different. It’s not unreasonable to think that Columbus’ best chance at landing Eichel left the moment the Blue Jackets were forced into trading Pierre-Luc Dubois to the Jets — the kind of center you could build a realistic Eichel trade around.

Exec: “Sabres say no. Seth Jones has a deal expiring soon. Next summer, he’s a free agent. It’s just asset management. They would lose him next year.”

12. Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Rangers for Nils Lundkvist, Pavel Buchnevich, Ryan Strome, 2021 first and Braden Schneider. — @vikesfan47

One of many Rangers-Eichel trade proposals. Bonus points for not including any of the Rangers’ best assets.

Exec: “Sabres say no. Jack Eichel should be the Sabres’ untouchable. None of the Rangers quote-unquote untouchables are part of that deal. Adam Fox, Igor Shesterkin, Artemi Panarin — yeah you don’t want to give up those guys, but why would Buffalo want to give up Eichel? Ryan Strome has a year left, and it’s just not that — there’s no first-line forward in that group. And Lundkvist is not signed yet, Buffalo would have to sign him.”

13. Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Minnesota Wild for Kevin Fiala, Matt Dumba and one of the Wild first-round picks… Buffalo gets a decent haul and gets Eichel out of the Eastern Conference. — @ABobeck94

Jack Eichel playing with Kirill Kaprizov is really fun to think about even if this one was shot down pretty quickly.

Exec: “Buffalo says no. You’re not saving any money and you don’t have a first-line player. I like Fiala, but if you’re a good team, he’s a nice scoring second-line player. And Dumba is expensive. Those two guys must be $8 million-plus, Jack is at $10 million and you’re not getting any better.”

14. Sabres send Jack Eichel to the Kings for Quinton Byfield, Alex Turcotte, Adrian Kempe, 2022 first-round pick, 2023 first-round pick, 2022 second-round pick. — @RangerRob13

Now we’re talking. Rob Blake clearing out the system to win again before Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty get too old.

Exec: “That does seem like fantasy hockey, but in a blowup rebuild, that’s what Buffalo would have to be saying yes to. With Turcotte and Byfield, you’re looking at your centers as Dylan Cozens, Byfield and Turcotte down the middle. There’s a lot to be excited for, but boy oh boy, would the fan base have to be patient. If it’s a blowup rebuild, you’d almost have to send out the Rangers letter to Sabres fans and admit it’s happening. That’s enough to entice you if you’re Buffalo, but only if you have ownership’s permission on the blowup. I think the Kings would say no. It’s too much for the Kings. But I think there’s a deal in there for the Kings. Kopitar and Eichel for a few years and then you have a Kopitar replacement. It’s just a little rich for L.A. today.”

I would say at this point, the LA option. You have a RW'er in Rochester waiting for one of Turcott or Byfield. You have other young talent en-rout to Rochester via already drafted pieces, you have Reinhart and Risto to move for a bit older (22 - 24 yr old) pieces to help lead in a 2 to 3 seasons. You develop the kids, bide your time, collecting further pieces.

Get what you can for the others, but the LA hypothetical reads like a NASA pre-launch check list.

In the end, the flight director says........

GO FOR LAUNCH!

9 hours ago, kas23 said:

I like the LA offer. I would even agree to swap 1st rounders this year to get it done. 

Add Bjornfot from the Kings instead of their last first and call it a deal. Don’t care about swapping first. Sign two of Danault, Coleman/Laughton. Don’t just plug Byfield and Turcotte into the lineup. Work them up through the system/roster until they force your hand. Same goes for Cozens and the 1C. 

46 minutes ago, inkman said:

Everyone getting boners over the LA proposal is funny.  It’s like being on a dating app looking at Lena Dunham, Billy Eilish and Rosie O’Donnell and then Kate Upton shows up.  Yeah I’m good with Kate too.  Sheesh. 

That’s the best deal you’re going to get for him. If you think Eichel should be traded, that’s the deal you take. 

13 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Supposedly Arizona is willing to move him for a good offer. I was thinking, trading Hall for a 1st and get a 2nd for Staal then use those two picks and Thompson as a starting point to get Garland.

Not sure how we get a 1 for Hall and 2 for Staal

• Like (+1) 1