2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Zibanejad, Lafreniere, and Georgiev.

Is the type of return I think is in the ballpark: the lesser Eichel to replace him on the roster, the high-end Grade A prospect, and the emerging player in a position of need.

The Sabres may have to toss a lesser asset back to get the Rangers to say yes.

Just now, dudacek said:

Adams isn't going after Strome.

His moves will be geared toward acquiring Chris Drury/Rod Brind'Amour/Kevyn Adams/Jay McKee "burn to win" types.

Trust me, it will be our new flavour of the day.

I'm ok with that.  That doesn't preclude Strome, it just means that leader will be playing another position.  I'd love to know which Drury type guy is even available?  

Here are two Hall trade suggestions from NBC sports:  https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/roundtable-creating-nhl-trades-second-half-predictions/

Hall to the Island for a 1st, 2nd and Michael Dal Colle (RFA) or Hall to Boston for a 1st and DeBrusk.  The Sabres do need a body back for lineup purposes.  I think I'd take the Boston deal.  DeBrusk has another year on his deal and he is a hard worker.  We can then move VO for something else.  A LW group for next year of Skionner, DeBrusk and Mitts would be decent enough with the right centers.

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm ok with that.  That doesn't preclude Strome, it just means that leader will be playing another position.  I'd love to know which Drury type guy is even available?  

Here are two Hall trade suggestions from NBC sports:  https://nhl.nbcsports.com/2021/03/18/roundtable-creating-nhl-trades-second-half-predictions/

Hall to the Island for a 1st, 2nd and Michael Dal Colle (RFA) or Hall to Boston for a 1st and DeBrusk.  The Sabres do need a body back for lineup purposes.  I think I'd take the Boston deal.  DeBrusk has another year on his deal and he is a hard worker.  We can then move VO for something else.  A LW group for next year of Skionner, DeBrusk and Mitts would be decent enough with the right centers.

I like that Boston deal. 

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'd take either of those deals in a second.

I'll be ecstatic if we get a late first on its own for Hall.

Edited by dudacek

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Adams isn't going after Strome.

His moves will be geared toward acquiring Chris Drury/Rod Brind'Amour/Kevyn Adams/Jay McKee "burn to win" types.

Trust me, it will be our new flavour of the day.

Well, I'd be pretty happy with a Drury, Brind or McKee -- those are all difference-makers, and the kind of guys this team is dying for (although NOT in exchange for Eichel, whom the Sabres should not trade).  Adams?  Not so much.

4 hours ago, Hoss said:

I'm somewhere in the middle of the "trade Eichel" and the "are you $%^@^@ stupid!?" camps. It's so hard to find elite talent like him - he truly is one of the most talented players to ever play for this franchise ... but it's also pretty clear this whole thing is going nowhere fast. Different sport but there was an argument for years that the Mariners should've moved Felix Hernandez for the massive haul he was worth to help build an actual roster and they never did. You wonder if we're in a similar boat.

All of those proposals above are absolute trash except the Kings one, though. You HAVE to get at least one KNOWN young NHL commodity in that deal, though. Adrian Kempe isn't quite that. I don't think LA really has that. Vilardi is close but not a definitive yet.

Welcome back.  It is a major dilemma that Adams and the Pegula's have themselves in.  Of course everyone has an idea of what the "perfect" return should be if they decide to trade Eichel...and even then it will be debated for years to come if they should have traded him, or if the return was adequate.

23 minutes ago, Trettioåtta said:

I think Eichel forces managements hand and we get a middling return - e.g. Fox, 2021 1st, 2023 1st and Pajuniemi

Oh he's gonna force their hand? That should be fun considering he is under contract, has no trade protections, and has no leverage other than to sit out which he wouldn't do. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh he's gonna force their hand? That should be fun considering he is under contract, has no trade protections, and has no leverage other than to sit out which he wouldn't do. 

PLD has even less leverage in Columbus and got traded very quickly.

Secondly, ROR was traded for saying endlessly losing eroded his love for the game. If Eichel came out and said I hate losing and I don't want to be a Buffalo Sabre anymore, do you really think the response is 'tough you signed a contract'?

10 minutes ago, Ducky said:

PLD and Laine had no trade protection either.

Eichel can force a trade, no two ways about it.

I agree. And it what ups the degree of difficulty and pressure of what Adams needs to navigate this offseason. Does he commit to doing this re-shuffle around Jack - and risk the chance that another underachieving 2021-22 squad pushes Jack to that trade demand summer '22 when his no-trade kicks in?

Or does he, unwilling to commit to/bet on next season, go in the direction without Jack Eichel and trade him this offseason to maximize the return?

Big decision.

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I agree. And it what ups the degree of difficulty and pressure of what Adams needs to navigate this offseason. Does he commit to doing this re-shuffle around Jack - and risk the chance that another underachieving 2021-22 squad pushes Jack to that trade demand summer '22 when his no-trade kicks in?

Or does he, unwilling to commit to/bet on next season, go in the direction without Jack Eichel and trade him this offseason to maximize the return?

Big decision.

I think this also comes down to Eichel ultimately - does he want to stay here and push through? It is risk / reward. Risk is that nothing gets better and he wastes even more time. Reward is that if the Sabres win a cup with Eichel, he legacy is even deeper than it would be. The narrative writes itself and he likely goes down as the greatest Sabre to ever live. Whereas, if he is traded, perhaps he goes down as more of a great supporting piece to winning a cup, rather than a the cornerstone.

Personally, If I am Eichel I told off for a year if only to get my NTC in place, so I can somewhat control it, rather than end up traded to Arizona for the remaining years of my contract.

28 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I'd be pretty happy with a Drury, Brind or McKee -- those are all difference-makers, and the kind of guys this team is dying for (although NOT in exchange for Eichel, whom the Sabres should not trade).  Adams?  Not so much.

This is not about the quality of player.  It’s about the mindset.  This team needs to acquire guys who are talented, yes, but just as importantly, have a team first, must win attitude and a resilience of spirit and confidence.

This team needs a soul.

I truly believe that is what is needed to exit this decade of futility.

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Come on, real world here.  If he really seriously tells them that he is done, trade me.  They are going to find a trade for him.  They don’t need to take the first offer that comes their way, but they will trade him.

• Like (+1) 3

27 minutes ago, Curt said:

This is not about the quality of player.  It’s about the mindset.  This team needs to acquire guys who are talented, yes, but just as importantly, have a team first, must win attitude and a resilience of spirit and confidence.

This team needs a soul.

Absolutely.  My point was that Drury, Brind'Amour and McKee were exactly that kind of player.

• Like (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

Unfortunately, none of us know what the players are really like in terms of who the locker room leaders are, who are the ones that strive to be the best, who are the ones that will get in the face of the slackers, lead by example in practice, etc...

There are so many things in play, that can't be seen from the eyes of the fans.  All we see if play on the ice & interview snippets.

On the other hand, your coaches and GM better damn well have a really good idea who should stay, and who should go....and the ones that need to go, need to go this summer!

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Is the type of return I think is in the ballpark: the lesser Eichel to replace him on the roster, the high-end Grade A prospect, and the emerging player in a position of need.

The Sabres may have to toss a lesser asset back to get the Rangers to say yes.

The trade you quoted would be a huge no to me.

Zibanejad is a UFA after next year, I don't have much faith in Lafaniere and a middling goalie 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Unfortunately, none of us know what the players are really like in terms of who the locker room leaders are, who are the ones that strive to be the best, who are the ones that will get in the face of the slackers, lead by example in practice, etc...

There are so many things in play, that can't be seen from the eyes of the fans.  All we see if play on the ice & interview snippets.

On the other hand, your coaches and GM better damn well have a really good idea who should stay, and who should go....and the ones that need to go, need to go this summer!

As we’ve seen to date, none of the cast of characters employed in the Sabres front office have a clue when it comes to evaluating players current or future.  There are stats guys begging for these jobs and the Sabres rely on flawed, biased personnel to evaluate everyone. Figure it out Pegulas. 

52 minutes ago, Curt said:

This team needs a soul.

Come on, real world here.  If he really seriously tells them that he is done, trade me.  They are going to find a trade for him.  They don’t need to take the first offer that comes their way, but they will trade him.

Sure they are but that doesn't mean we have to trade him for beans because he says he wants out. We don't have to do the ROR ***** up a second time because the owner is an idiot who won't pay a bonus. 

27 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

To some extent this is true, but there are certain players who you can just see consistently grind it out on the ice.  Guys who don’t play passively and who just won’t quit.  Buffalo needs those guys, that’s part of it.

16 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure they are but that doesn't mean we have to trade him for beans because he says he wants out. We don't have to do the ROR ***** up a second time because the owner is an idiot who won't pay a bonus. 

Correct.  I was responding to this post:

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Which seemed to basically be saying “You want a trade?  Tough *****, you’re under contract.”

I just wanted to stress that it wouldn’t go down like that.  Yes, they could take some time (1 year max maybe) but they would have to make a deal eventually.

45 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

He did remove Adam Fox from my trade too, and I think Igor is going to be great. 

@thewookie1 raises a relevant point with Zibenijad's contract, but he's looking at the other two as worst-case scenarios. Georgiev is an OK NHL starter and he still has room for growth. Fox is the best asset in your package.

I don't think the Rangers would be willing to trade Fox with the other pieces you included. They're aren't going to give up an elite prospect (certainly among the top 10 U20s in the world), a legit NHL goalie AND their best defenceman (cheap and under team control for a while) to upgrade from Zib to Eichel.

If I'm the Sabres, the Rangers have to include Fox or Lafreniere or no deal, then add significantly. If I'm the Rangers, there is no way the Sabres are getting both.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1