Jump to content

2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation


Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

Hmm, you don’t think Calgary has enough assets?  How much more would you need from them?

Their prospect pool is weak and they generally pick in the middle of the First Round. 
 

So essentially a Top Line Winger and Second Line Center isn’t enough return for a franchise center 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Norcal said:

Just seem to be mentioned alot when star players are available.  

Maybe, but they have as much difficulty attracting FAs, convincing players to stay/come as we are perceived to. They also operate as a small market team. 

In Winnipeg here it's always a struggle to keep your top guys when they are about to break the bank - Laine the latest example. And it's one of the only destinations ranked below Buffalo by players league wide. 

They got lucky Dubois was just sitting there in a ready made situation - but that was a good trade and will serve them well, I think. 

Edited by Thorny
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Their prospect pool is weak and they generally pick in the middle of the First Round. 
 

So essentially a Top Line Winger and Second Line Center isn’t enough return for a franchise center 

From a culture standpoint, I feel like Tkachuk and Bennett could be a boon.  I don’t think this team has enough determination.

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, a prospect (Zary/Pelletier) and a 2021 1st (or maybe both 2021 and 2023 1st)

for Eichel and whatever balances the money

I think this might work for me.  I don’t know if I’m actually ready to do something like this, but I’m getting there.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Curt said:

From a culture standpoint, I feel like Tkachuk and Bennett could be a boon.  I don’t think this team has enough determination.

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, a prospect (Zary/Pelletier) and a 2021 1st (or maybe both 2021 and 2023 1st)

for Eichel and whatever balances the money

I think this might work for me.  I don’t know if I’m actually ready to do something like this, but I’m getting there.

I don't wanna trade Jack. 

If we did, that package is no Tage Thompson and cap dumps

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Curt said:

From a culture standpoint, I feel like Tkachuk and Bennett could be a boon.  I don’t think this team has enough determination.

Tkachuk, Lindholm, Bennett, a prospect (Zary/Pelletier) and a 2021 1st (or maybe both 2021 and 2023 1st)

for Eichel and whatever balances the money

I think this might work for me.  I don’t know if I’m actually ready to do something like this, but I’m getting there.

Those prospects are nothing to write home about. 
And Your Center Core is Lindholm, Cozens, ???? and Bennett. 
I understand what you are saying about culture, but Calgary is about to undergo changes because their core isn’t getting it done 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Those prospects are nothing to write home about. 
And Your Center Core is Lindholm, Cozens, ???? and Bennett. 
I understand what you are saying about culture, but Calgary is about to undergo changes because their core isn’t getting it done 

Yes, not elite prospects, but decent/good ones.

Yup, Lindholm, Cozens, Bennett, Lazar.  It’s not ideal, but this would be part of a purposeful roster reconfiguration.  Maybe sign a decent FA C or acquire one in a trade using acquired picks/prospects?

I can’t imagine Tkachuk/Bennett not improving Buffalo’s culture.  Something in Calgary isn’t quite working, but I don’t think those guys are hurting their culture.  Maybe it’s a trade that would help both teams move forward?

Just throwing ideas around, because Buffalo’s core isn’t getting it done either.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are going to trade our core, they have to be absolutely sure the core we are trading away represents a bigger obstacle to success than any other one issue. Otherwise, that other issue (s) should be addressed, instead, first. 

Not only would to do otherwise be illogical, it would allow the greater issue a scapegoat ensuring future failure. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yes, not elite prospects, but decent/good ones.

Yup, Lindholm, Cozens, Bennett, Lazar.  It’s not ideal, but this would be part of a purposeful roster reconfiguration.  Maybe sign a decent FA C or acquire one in a trade using acquired picks/prospects?

I can’t imagine Tkachuk/Bennett not improving Buffalo’s culture.  Something in Calgary isn’t quite working, but I don’t think those guys are hurting their culture.  Maybe it’s a trade that would help both teams move forward?

Just throwing ideas around, because Buffalo’s core isn’t getting it done either.

Getting rid of Vanek didn't improve the culture. Getting rid of Kane didn't improve the culture.  Getting rid of O'Reilly didn't improve the culture.

Best way of improving the culture is to start with the coach. 

And Sam Bennett has 16 points the last two seasons and is a career -60. He'd help the culture as much as Sobotka did.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yes, not elite prospects, but decent/good ones.

Yup, Lindholm, Cozens, Bennett, Lazar.  It’s not ideal, but this would be part of a purposeful roster reconfiguration.  Maybe sign a decent FA C or acquire one in a trade using acquired picks/prospects?

I can’t imagine Tkachuk/Bennett not improving Buffalo’s culture.  Something in Calgary isn’t quite working, but I don’t think those guys are hurting their culture.  Maybe it’s a trade that would help both teams move forward?

Just throwing ideas around, because Buffalo’s core isn’t getting it done either.

Eichel is the best player in pretty much any trade, this year aside he has become one of the elite centers in the NHL. 
 

The Sabres are giving up the best player, I’m going to need a minimum of one elite prospect/player coming back. 
I also need another possible Top Line Center, I already know that Lindholm isn’t that 
I’m all for adding culture, not sure I want to use Eichel to do it

For reference one of the Top UFA Centers available this year will be Phillip Danualt from Montreal. He is a 2/3 Center

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Getting rid of Vanek didn't improve the culture. Getting rid of Kane didn't improve the culture.  Getting rid of O'Reilly didn't improve the culture.

Best way of improving the culture is to start with the coach. 

And Sam Bennett has 16 points the last two seasons and is a career -60. He'd help the culture as much as Sobotka did.

I don’t necessarily think that Eichel is a culture problem, just that IF he is going to be traded, I want some guys coming back who can help reinforce a tougher, more resilient type of team mentality.

Agreed on the coach.

Sam Bennett is a fast, gritty bottom 6 guy.  He is a minor part of such a trade, but the type of player I think could help the team be more resilient. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Eichel is the best player in pretty much any trade, this year aside he has become one of the elite centers in the NHL. 
 

The Sabres are giving up the best player, I’m going to need a minimum of one elite prospect/player coming back. 
I also need another possible Top Line Center, I already know that Lindholm isn’t that 
I’m all for adding culture, not sure I want to use Eichel to do it

For reference one of the Top UFA Centers available this year will be Phillip Danualt from Montreal. He is a 2/3 Center

 

Yeah, incredibly difficult to trade someone like Eichel no matter what.

I can understand the desire for a higher end prospect/guy on ELC.  I think I might like Lindholm and Tkachuk more than you though.  If Lindholm isn’t a 1C, he is really close and Tkachuk is a 1st line W.

I think a C spine of Lindholm, Danault, Cozens, Lazar/Bennet could do quite well.  Especially with Hall, Tkachuk, Reinhart, Olofsson, Skinner on the wings.

Edited by Curt
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Except Skinner isn't good anymore ^. But otherwise, ya. 

You know, I don’t think he has really been that bad.  Ralph is burying him.  You could end up correct though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Curt said:

You know, I don’t think he has really been that bad.  Ralph is burying him.  You could end up correct though.

I've been calling Krueger out for it previously but at this point it's probably both

Edited by Thorny
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, incredibly difficult to trade someone like Eichel no matter what.

I can understand the desire for a higher end prospect/guy on ELC.  I think I might like Lindholm and Tkachuk more than you though.  If Lindholm isn’t a 1C, he is really close and Tkachuk is a 1st line W.

I think a C spine of Lindholm, Danault, Cozens, Lazar/Bennet could do quite well.  Especially with Hall, Tkachuk, Reinhart, Olofsson, Skinner on the wings.

Sam Bennett is a center in the same way Reinhart is... in that he's not. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Sam Bennett is a center in the same way Reinhart is... in that he's not. 

That’s fine.  He has played some C but not lately, and as I understand it, that’s a point of contention for him.  He wants to play C and Calgary isn’t playing him there.  I haven’t seen him enough at C to know whether he can or can’t.  That’s part of the reason I write Lazar/Bennett there.

You feel confident that he is incapable of playing C well?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Curt said:

That’s fine.  He has played some C but not lately, and as I understand it, that’s a point of contention for him.  He wants to play C and Calgary isn’t playing him there.  I haven’t seen him enough at C to know whether he can or can’t.  That’s part of the reason I write Lazar/Bennett there.

You feel confident that he is incapable of playing C well?

Calgary started him out at C this season and he asked to be put back on wing after a handful of games. This is according to their HC Geoff Ward in dealing with the media after Sam was scratched.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Calgary started him out at C this season and he asked to be put back on wing after a handful of games. This is according to their HC Geoff Ward in dealing with the media after Sam was scratched.

Hmm, ok.  I guess I was wrong.

Doesn’t change my point of view though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Curt said:

That’s fine.  He has played some C but not lately, and as I understand it, that’s a point of contention for him.  He wants to play C and Calgary isn’t playing him there.  I haven’t seen him enough at C to know whether he can or can’t.  That’s part of the reason I write Lazar/Bennett there.

You feel confident that he is incapable of playing C well?

On the 4th line sure why not. Anywhere else he is a winger and a 3rd line winger at best. A player who has never cracked 40 points. Never cracked 20 goals. Only cracked 15goals once. Not really seeing the appeal of trading for him for really any reason. He's a decent defensive forward who will get you 30-35 points a year. He's Lazar with a better track record. Or Lazar is a discount Bennett.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

On the 4th line sure why not. Anywhere else he is a winger and a 3rd line winger at best. A player who has never cracked 40 points. Never cracked 20 goals. Only cracked 15goals once. Not really seeing the appeal of trading for him for really any reason. He's a decent defensive forward who will get you 30-35 points a year. He's Lazar with a better track record. Or Lazar is a discount Bennett.  

Yeah!  A slightly better Lazar sounds like a good addition.  I’m not giving up a lot for him.  In this case he would be a small part of a big trade.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah!  A slightly better Lazar sounds like a good addition.  I’m not giving up a lot for him.  In this case he would be a small part of a big trade.

I’d give up Tage and a 3rd for Bennet. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...