2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kylington... a guy on waivers 2 weeks ago... no. 

The Sabres waived Jason Pominville once.  Ended up playing over 1000 NHL games.  I'm not going to let whether a guy was on waivers be the determining factor.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

You think Bennett is a #2 center?

I think Bennett centering Skinner and Lazar is a fast, hard nosed, offensive zone puck possession eater with higher scoring chances, more O zone wear down time on the opposition and higher pressure overall line than Sheehan centering Lazar and Skinner.

Anytime an opportunity presents itself to better the team, short term or long term, given Bennetts age, you pull the trigger. After all, it isn't as though the Sabres are burning up the league in control of play, physical play and passion overall on the ice game in and game out.

Is it a risk? Aren't all trades/acquisitions? But, you make the moves necessary to address, and Bennett, in my most humbled opinion, given his play style acumen, is a low risk high reward scenario worth playing out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Scottysabres said:

I think Bennett centering Skinner and Lazar is a fast, hard nosed, offensive zone puck possession eater with higher scoring chances, more O zone wear down time on the opposition and higher pressure overall line than Sheehan centering Lazar and Skinner.

Anytime an opportunity presents itself to better the team, short term or long term, given Bennetts age, you pull the trigger. After all, it isn't as though the Sabres are burning up the league in control of play, physical play and passion overall on the ice game in and game out.

Is it a risk? Aren't all trades/acquisitions? But, you make the moves necessary to address, and Bennett, in my most humbled opinion, given his play style acumen, is a low risk high reward scenario worth playing out.

Low risk/low reward, medium reward at most.

Just now, Scottysabres said:

Improving the line is a high reward, again, imho.

But we aren’t taking about someone with tons of upside here.  What if the trade doesn’t work out for whatever reason, and Buffalo doesn’t get the better of it?

Does that mean it’s high risk too?

All for acquiring him, by the way, and I honestly think that’s the style of player they are moving towards.

Just now, Curt said:

But we aren’t taking about someone with tons of upside here.  What if the trade doesn’t work out for whatever reason, and Buffalo doesn’t get the better of it?

Does that mean it’s high risk too?

All for acquiring him, by the way, and I honestly think that’s the style of player they are moving towards.

?

We're talking about Sheehan here. I fail to see the correlation.

Just now, Curt said:

I don’t understand.  You mean my style of player they are moving towards comment?

Im talking straight out about Bennett's reported (per TSN and his agent) ask for a trade out of Calgary for their reported betrayal of telling him he'll play center then not doing it.

Lazar/Skinner line could most certainly use an upgrade over Sheehan, Bennett is younger, faster, more physical and more grit player. You bring that in, just my opinion is all.

57 minutes ago, Curt said:

But what does this mean?  I don’t understand what you are saying here at all.

I'm saying a trade for Bennett to replace Sheehan as Lazar and Skinner's Center would be a vast improvement for both the line, and the team overall. And although it's opinion, it's backed by the both testimonials from players and pundits alike across the league on Bennett's game play.

In short, it does 0 harm. Minimal risk.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

The Sabres waived Jason Pominville once.  Ended up playing over 1000 NHL games.  I'm not going to let whether a guy was on waivers be the determining factor.

Agree that prior waiver status doesn't affect current desirability of signing a player, but pretty sure the Sabres have no interest in him.  (At least until they find out if Borgen or Bryson could play at this level.  Irwin has looked like we expected him to look the past 2 games after being surprisingly solid his 1st game.  Does the league test for adrenalin post game?  If not, shoot him and about 10 other guys full of it and we may have something.)

7 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm saying a trade for Bennett to replace Sheehan as Lazar and Skinner's Center would be a vast improvement for both the line, and the team overall. And although it's opinion, it's backed by the both testimonials from players and pundits alike across the league on Bennett's game play.

In short, it does 0 harm. Minimal risk.

As you said upthread, all trades have risk.

I guess I just don’t see a Sam Bennet acquisition resulting in a slightly improved 3rd line as a high reward type move.

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

As you said upthread, all trades have risk.

I guess I just don’t see a Sam Bennet acquisition resulting in a slightly improved 3rd line as a high reward type move.

I understand.

But, let me ask you a couple of questions.

Have you watched many Calgary games? Given my work schedule, I happen to catch more west coast games then I care to. I've watched Calgary games a bit. The going fan base over there like him as an energy/heart and soul guy, but, they dislike his penalties, they believe the penalties kill his upside. And there are those that believe his penalties are a result of playing like the Sabres, from behind constantly, fending off the opposition. What I can tell you is this, from my own eyes having watched a bit of Calgary games, again, due to my work schedule. He does well on the PK, not a top tier name mentioned type guy, but he applies pressure beyond what other players do, in both 5 v 5 as well as the PK. Bennett is definitely a motivational mover when he plays his game. His team responds to his play. No, he's not lights out physical every game, but, his game play, game after game, his teammates, players from opposing teams, pundits, all say the same thing, he is "difficult" to play against AND, his teammates feed off of his energy. Stop and think on that for a moment. How many Sabres players have you seen recently that brings that to the table? We are not talking about selling the farm for a younger player like this, I hope you understand that.

5 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

I understand.

But, let me ask you a couple of questions.

Have you watched many Calgary games? Given my work schedule, I happen to catch more west coast games then I care to. I've watched Calgary games a bit. The going fan base over there like him as an energy/heart and soul guy, but, they dislike his penalties, they believe the penalties kill his upside. And there are those that believe his penalties are a result of playing like the Sabres, from behind constantly, fending off the opposition. What I can tell you is this, from my own eyes having watched a bit of Calgary games, again, due to my work schedule. He does well on the PK, not a top tier name mentioned type guy, but he applies pressure beyond what other players do, in both 5 v 5 as well as the PK. Bennett is definitely a motivational mover when he plays his game. His team responds to his play. No, he's not lights out physical every game, but, his game play, game after game, his teammates, players from opposing teams, pundits, all say the same thing, he is "difficult" to play against AND, his teammates feed off of his energy. Stop and think on that for a moment. How many Sabres players have you seen recently that brings that to the table? We are not talking about selling the farm for a younger player like this, I hope you understand that.

I have not watched him a lot.  My impression of him is a slightly better Lazar type of player.  I’m all for that.  I think Buffalo could certainly use that.

• Like (+1) 1

Sam Bennet is at best a top fifteen 3rd line center, something we haven’t had in ten years. Slotted any higher than that it’s just a bad move for Buffalo. If they want Mitts and Tage for him do it and run. ***** potential, fix the bottom six with actual players now. Guys aren’t going to develop here anyway, it’s about time that’s realized. 

Just now, #freejame said:

Sam Bennet is at best a top fifteen 3rd line center, something we haven’t had in ten years. Slotted any higher than that it’s just a bad move for Buffalo. If they want Mitts and Tage for him do it and run. ***** potential, fix the bottom six with actual players now. Guys aren’t going to develop here anyway, it’s about time that’s realized. 

So a #2c on this team.

Staal,… nuff said...

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

^this is exactly my feeling. He is the third line version of Zemgus. 

With quite a playoff history; guy really shows up in the playoffs.

Bennett, Rittich and Kylington

for 

Montour(1.9mil retention), Thompson and Hutton

Pretty much cap neutral, and gives multiple players a chance to get a fresh start.

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

With quite a playoff history; guy really shows up in the playoffs.

Bennett, Rittich and Kylington

for 

Montour(1.9mil retention), Thompson and Hutton

Pretty much cap neutral, and gives multiple players a chance to get a fresh start.

You’re not giving on Kylington.  I appreciate your principles.

Hutts stock is low, especially after his most recent showing this morning.  Like GameStop low, circa 2019.   I would do that trade in a New York minute. Problem is all three of those assets for the Sabres are cap dumps.  No value in any of them.  I honestly don’t think any team in their right mind takes Montour, even with the retention.  He’s really bad.