2020-21 Trade Rumors and Speculation

Brawndo

21 minutes ago, Taro T said:

If the Canucks are so significantly lacking in talent assets as to be unable to acquire Sam friggin' Bennett they should start calling themselves San Jose North.

Pretty sure they have the assets to acquire him but somebody else wants him more.

(Example only) The asking price includes a left-handed defenceman with NHL experience. The Canucks aren't offering Hughes or Edler. The Flames don't want Juolevi or Benn. Moving on.

Just now, dudacek said:

(Example only) The asking price includes a left-handed defenceman with NHL experience. The Canucks aren't offering Hughes or Edler. The Flames don't want Juolevi or Benn. Moving on.

But, the Canucks DO have the assets to be able to acquire him as you just pointed out.  That they choose not to part with those assets doesn't mean they lack them entirely.

29 minutes ago, SABRES 0311 said:

Or is Calgary asking too much for him?

Well, if Calgary is asking too much for him, then it is they (rather than at least 1 of the other 29 teams) that want him more than the Canucks want him.  And even in that case, the 'Nucks COULD afford him; they simply choose to not obtain him at the asking price.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

But, the Canucks DO have the assets to be able to acquire him as you just pointed out.  That they choose not to part with those assets doesn't mean they lack them entirely.

Well, the unsaid point was obviously “of suitable value.”

I thought you were commenting on the spirit of the Tweet, not his poor choice of words.

Of course they have assets. He’s Sam Bennett.

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

TSN Radio Vancouver

@TSN1040

'

@DhaliwalSports

on Sam Bennett: "Trade situation is heating up & I’ve been told this morning that the #Canucks don’t have enough assets to make this deal for Sam Bennett."

1:32 PM · Feb 4, 2021

This can’t possibly be true.  Vancouver has the assets to acquire Sam Bennet.  They may not want to pay what Calgary is asking, but of course they have the assets to.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Am I missing something with Bennett, is he more than a good bottom six depth player that plays hard and looked good in the playoffs?

All this "Sam Bennett sweepstakes" and "Canucks don't have the necessary assets" talk seems a bit excessive.  But I haven't seen him play in a while.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/4/2021 at 9:50 PM, Shootica said:

Am I missing something with Bennett, is he more than a good bottom six depth player that plays hard and looked good in the playoffs?

All this "Sam Bennett sweepstakes" and "Canucks don't have the necessary assets" talk seems a bit excessive.  But I haven't seen him play in a while.

You ain’t wrong.   He’s just another guy who plays dirty in the playoffs so they call him “gritty” or a “character guy” 

On 1/25/2021 at 8:47 AM, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Adding MAF doesn't even make it tingle let alone move.

MAF just shutout the Av's.    He has 7 wins in 8 games with a .944 sv% and a 1.38 GAA.       

He's top 2 in all categories, how would he not be a major upgrade?  SMH

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 2

11 hours ago, darksabre said:

Is that bad 

Risto, Dahlin, McCabe ( if he re-signs which they absolutely should do), Jokiharju, Borgen, Miller and now Ekholm would be eligible for the draft. 

In this scenario I imagine they go with 4:4:1 with Risto, Dahlin, McCabe and Ekholm being protected. 

That leaves Jokiharju or Borgen getting picked, and I hate to lose a young defenseman. 

I imagine Jokiharju with better coaching and/or an experienced d partner will be a completely different player.

15 minutes ago, Curt said:

Unfortunately wrong.  The Sabres are contractually obligated to protect Skinner.  Unless he agrees to waive his NMC.

And while in Buffalo, Skinner is close to home.  Just saying he may be reluctant to waive but you never know

3 minutes ago, Cityo'Rasmii said:

And while in Buffalo, Skinner is close to home.  Just saying he may be reluctant to waive but you never know

Yeah, that’s the reason he wanted it in the first place.  It’s a couple years later now, and if he isn’t enjoying himself maybe he changes his mind.  Wouldn’t count on it though.

11 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Okposo can place Seattle on his 10 team M NTC List as well

The Sabres should not hesitate to buy him this offseason

We could still expose him regardless; only the NMC must be protected.

From a money point, its probably wiser to just bury Okposo for the next 3 years and just pretend Cozens is making a hair under 6mil per year. Okposo gives us 1.1mil in cap relief from being buried which is more than any ELC and a larger cap saving than the buyout.

A buyout would make his cap 5mil for 1 year, 3mil for 1 year and then 1 mil for 2 additional years.

So at very least I would wait until his final year as that gives us a cap hit of 3.3 mil in year 1 and 1.3mil in year 2 

If McCabe is out long term I would start fielding some calls to exchange Montour for Mete + or Thompson for a Jacob Larsson type deal.