COVID-19

Indabuff

9 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I heard someone call into a radio show (forget which) that asked the question “why aren’t the Chinese paying reparations for what they’ve done?”

Because it was an American bio warfare agent that got loose.  ?

*pulls pin and throws*

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I think there is a sizeable part of the population, maybe as high as 20%, that really does not have even a very base level of understanding regarding how this stuff works and they just do what they are told.  Explicitly.  Because they don't have enough understanding to fill in the blanks and act prudently.

This is refreshing in a day and age where everyone is an expert and knows better than people with true expertise, like RaKru and JaBo. #bombthrower

1 hour ago, spndnchz said:

I heard someone call into a radio show (forget which) that asked the question “why aren’t the Chinese paying reparations for what they’ve done?”

Omigosh I need to know what radio show.

1 hour ago, WildCard said:

I have no idea how large cities like Toronto and NYC are supposed to open. NYC has 8m plus population, and the system was crippled with social distancing and tens of thousands infected.

I think it's pretty clear the virus was raging through the city before social distancing took hold. It's horrifying to imagine what things would look like if nothing had been done. Ya know, if the flu people had had their way.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

Omigosh I need to know what radio show.

Would it rhyme with Hourly?

10 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

This is refreshing in a day and age where everyone is an expert and knows better than people with true expertise, like RaKru and JaBo. #bombthrower

There is a fair amount of overlap between the two groups, unfortunately.

6 hours ago, sabremike said:

If a laffs fan wanted to go there I remind them only one NHL team has ever been awarded a trophy on the Scotiabank Place and it was NOT the laffs. Also if the Sabres got to play 25 or so seasons in a 6 team league we would have won a couple of cups. 

The only reason the Maple Leafs and Canadiens were so good in the O6 era was because of the home rules for player acquisitions; neither the New York Rangers nor the Boston Bruins won a Stanley Cup from 1942-69; only the 1961 team kept the Chicago Black Hawks off the schneid.  The O6 era is not looked upon nearly as fondly in those 3 cities.  For that matter, all the Cups for the Detroit Red Wings were from 1950-5.  Of the 28 Cups won in the O6 and early expansion era, 23 of them were won by either the Canadiens or the Maple Leafs.

Edited by E4 ... Ke2
Accidentally submitted in the middle of an edit.
  • Like (+1) 2

On 4/14/2020 at 4:07 PM, New Scotland (NS) said:

Thank you for your service.

Ah well just doing my normal job, but hearing the urgency of the people to get their equipment really makes me think how bad most governments ***** up on this.

Back in February I was telling everyone, they should put everyone coming back from Italy and Switzerland in Quarantine for a month, even though back then I also had doubts on how serious it was because the news and politicians were downplaying it.

I think great leadership sometimes also is taking unpopular decisions and being able to see far ahead , leaving these decisions in the hands of politicians is the worst and won't help resolve this anytime soon.   Pretty sure our political leaders even now still go in against scientists on some matters.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is there anything to a report that a Wuhan laboratory possibly being the source of Covid19? Is anyone else running across reports that an investigation is ongoing?

Source, in what sense? I think it's been scientifically established that the virus is natural in origin (not man-made). So maybe the lab was studying it and someone got infected and carried it out the door. Of course there is an investigation. It's part and parcel of assigning blame to China for the disaster we're going through.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Source, in what sense? I think it's been scientifically established that the virus is natural in origin (not man-made). So maybe the lab was studying it and someone got infected and carried it out the door. Of course there is an investigation. It's part and parcel of assigning blame to China for the disaster we're going through.

For Politicians putting the complete blame on China distracts us from their incompetence in handling this.    As for it being proven its completely natural but I doubt we will see the answer to that any time soon.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Is there anything to a report that a Wuhan laboratory possibly being the source of Covid19? Is anyone else running across reports that an investigation is ongoing?

This largely comes from right-wing sites.  It is plausible, but it would require a mind-bogglingly combination of gaffes in the lab for this to happen.  These researchers are almost certainly not the molecular biology equivalent of the last several years of Buffalo Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This sounds really promising, so much so that stock futures "surged" on the news that Remdesivir might be an effective anti-viral based on a trial of severely ill patients.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/16/early-peek-at-data-on-gilead-coronavirus-drug-suggests-patients-are-responding-to-treatment/

I was watching the White House briefing and my ears perked up at how almost ebullient, to use a Fauci-esque word, the good doctor was when talking about what good or great shape the U.S. would be in by the fall. He is normally very cautious. I wonder if he knows there's a good treatment right around the corner.

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

Ah, Wizard of Oz.  A true classic.

31 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

This largely comes from right-wing sites.  It is plausible, but it would require a mind-bogglingly combination of gaffes in the lab for this to happen.  These researchers are almost certainly not the molecular biology equivalent of the last several years of Buffalo Sabres.

Shocking.

35 minutes ago, E4 ... Ke2 said:

Correct. I think Snopes refuted their claim IIRC.

Having said that, I am only posting this as fact and not to get into political arguments. Earlier today, the President and the Transportation Secretary gave a speech that thanked all the truckers out there who are doing their part to keep the country running. AFAIAC, me and over 7 million drivers deeply appreciate this accolade - and we would still appreciate even if it came from a different President.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Thanks for posting that.  2 things that stood out though.

The article was not peer reviewed.

And it appeared that the HCQ was not combined with zinc in this study.  All of the anecdotal evidence of using HCQ successfully was predicated in using it along with zinc.  Woody has explained the reasons for that elsewhere in this thread.

Would be interested if you find any other studies as well.

And a thing that would be real interesting to see is how the treatment fares when given to patients with less severe symptoms.   That is an area where the anecdotal evidence seems particilarly promising.

I’d be careful attributing the “Wuhan Lab as the Source” story to political ideology.  The earliest published reports to that effect come from China.   Now, before someone asks me to prove it, I can’t.   That’s why I use the phrase “be careful”.   Dismissing those stories as “right wing” is as knee jerk as claiming they’re knowably true.  I don’t think accidents are mind bogglingly complicated.  I also think the Chinese are as willing to tinker with germs as we are.

Now, cuz I’m ballsy ....   I believe when this is all written, the Wuhan lab will prove to be the source.  Call it the one story that seams to make sense in the sea of incomplete left, right and center media.  You will see other nations join the inquiry.   You are seeing the denials take the form of the usual suspects ...  “this is racist xenophobia when the world needs unity” ...  says China and the head of The WHO.  When you didn't do something, you turn over the records.  When you did something you want secret, you disappear people and yell xenophobia.

Spidey sense .. ymmv.

• Like (+1) 6

As reported in that crazy right wing Washington Post .... (note ...  the excerpt below appears on the Fox News Web site and quotes the Post.  I can access some content on the Post, but not this article in full.   I can see it, but access is subscription pop up blocked.  In other words, I confirmed the story and the source.   For those interested, there are dozens of media following this.)

“In a series of diplomatic cables labeled "Sensitive But Unclassified," U.S. Embassy officials warned that the lab had massive management weaknesses, posed severe health risks and warned Washington to get involved.

The first cable, which was obtained by The Washington Post, also sent red flags about the lab's work on bat coronaviruses and more specifically how their potential human transmission represented the risk of a new SARS-like pandemic.

"During interactions with scientists at the WIV laboratory, they noted the new lab has a serious shortage of appropriately trained technicians and investigators needed to safely operate this high-containment laboratory," the Jan.19, 2018, cable, written by two officials from the embassy's environment, science and health sections who met with the WIV scientists, said.“

Setting aside COVID19 and this once in a lifetime world trajectory changing event for a few minutes ...

1).  As I read more about these labs, it’s a wonder we haven’t completely exterminated ourselves.

2).  Examine the acts and language out of the Soviet Union in the days and weeks following Chernobyl side by side with what the Chinese are saying following Wuhan.  I’ll bet $1,000 against a bologna sandwich and take “it came from a bat in a Chinese lab”  against any other position.

3).  My knees are slow to jerk.  My gut is telling them to get moving.  My brain, which will always look for more information, has no objection to my gut‘s urging.

• Like (+1) 1

1)   I am the last person you want to rely upon for an analysis of The WHO.

2)   Statement 1. does not prevent me from forming my view.   It shouldn’t prevent anyone from doing the same.

3)   Before I start, let me say that I see the WHO defended with statements telling me how important good health is.   Well, I agree with the importance of good health!

4)  When forming opinions, I have no choice but to watch and listen to the story told by the sources.  Then I conclude.   It’s all I got.

5)   Spidey sense ...  when you have a virus lab 1 mile away from a virus outbreak, tell the world that 83 thousand people got sick, and that there are no records to examine ... when the rest of the world goes up in flames ...  and your well funded Ethiopian client state WHO Head shows up and says “nothing to see here, you racist xeno ...  nevermind”, well, I get suspicious.

Two articles to start you out.   Before the ad hominem chorus chimes in, I’ll say this about the Council on Foreign Relations.  It’s an inside baseball think tank with prominent diplomats, bankers, business people and educators from both sides of the aisle.   CNN is, well, CNN.

Neither source answers your question.   Each can start you down a path of examining.   If you’re looking for proof, it ain’t there, yet.  If you’re looking to draw your own conclusion based on what you can find, have at it.

https://www.cfr.org/blog/who-and-china-dereliction-duty

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/asia/coronavirus-who-china-intl-hnk/index.html

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, spndnchz said:

There is an editorial in today’s Washington Post calling for China to pay reparations to Africa.

The author is a Nigerian woman and prominent World Bank representative from The Africa Region.

A prominent international woman of color from the third world in a left leaning, reputable, newspaper.

It’s here, ladies and gentlemen.  Careful about collateral damage when you start tossing the darts!

(not that you tossed a dart)!

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 1

And now, because my motor’s running, I’ll continue ..

The next big story, after Chinese negligence and malfeasance become commonly understood and accepted, is this.

What do you do with a country that screwed up, lied, caused deaths, and tanked the global economy ....  when it owns $1.1 Trillion of your debt?
What do you do with a country that screwed up, lied, caused deaths, and tanked the global economy ....  when it is a $600 Billion trade partner?

1).  You talk about it amongst yourselves without accusing one another of being xenophobes.

2).   You recognize China is a rival, not a partner.

3).   You formulate and execute a vision for a century that articulates your values, goals and objectives.  You do not stray.

1 and 2 are easy.   Well, they should be.  3 is brutal resolve.

Edited by Neo
  • Like (+1) 2