Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GASabresIUFAN

How hurt is Jack?

Recommended Posts

Agreed.  I'd guess back spasms as he's not taking faceoffs.   Tough to get leverage on draws, or when shooting.   I had the same problem in college (and played center), needed to take muscle relaxants which helps but is tough to play with as it affects your nervous system.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No data on what is wrong, but he's been playing through something since his maintenance day.  He's gone 4 games taking fewer than a handful of faceoffs and they went so far as to have Olofsson take a faceoff in the 3rd after Reinhart hot kicked out.

His passes have also been off since the maintenance day.

My assumption for the past week was it's some sort of rib injury with a slight possibility of a shoulder.  Somebody else suggested a hand injury.  And our resident physician who presumably doesn't have dreamy golden locks has suggested it's a sports hernia.

Could be any of those or perhaps something else.  But since the maintenance day, he's had a point in exactly 1 of 4 games.  That the team is 2-2 and competed into the 3rd of the 2 losses against superior teams shows this team is trying to pick up the slack.  They just can't overcome his being less than stellar AND their goaltending.  (Hutton &/or Johansson need to step up & bail them out some.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

May as well give him some rest for a few.  Especially on the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mate was at the game last night reckons he is carrying and injury. If this is the case shut him down for the season and call up asplund for the last 18 games. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll add that I like fact he's trying to push through it, that's what a captain does. 

It's one thing if he's a liability, but he's still their best C even at less than 100%.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course he has back spasms, you can't carry the team for 3/4 of the year and not expect some amount of spasm/compression fractures. 

 

But Jack did have back spasms earlier in the year and missed a game. Wouldn't surprise me if they're back. 

Load him up with prednisone and let him loose!! 

Edited by Wyldnwoody44

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Agreed.  I'd guess back spasms as he's not taking faceoffs.   Tough to get leverage on draws, or when shooting.   I had the same problem in college (and played center), needed to take muscle relaxants which helps but is tough to play with as it affects your nervous system.

Not good if it is back problems. My son starting having them in Juniors and by college his career was essentially over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I’m flying into Winnipeg on Tuesday, I hope he’s OK and plays.

surely understandable...safe flights and good times

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes this was talked about last night and even a few days before that. 
HE IS fighting thru an injury. No need to speculate IF he’s hurt. He is. He’s hurt. He’s playing thru an injury. He’s not 100%. It’s his core. The speculation is ribs or hernia. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pi2000 said:

I'll add that I like fact he's trying to push through it, that's what a captain does. 

It's one thing if he's a liability, but he's still their best C even at less than 100%.

Taking both of these as facts, which they are, I still think it's smarter to sit him down.  I don't want to see a small issue become a bigger one that lingers into late summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sabre1974 said:

My mate was at the game last night reckons he is carrying and injury. If this is the case shut him down for the season and call up asplund for the last 18 games. 

I want a captain that plays through injury 

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Until we are eliminated; he's going to play because he's the captain and a competitor. Barring an incredible run, which technically isn't impossible still, he'll likely sit the last 5 or so games at minimum. 

If we've learned one thing this season about Jack is that he has all the makings of a captain.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eleven said:

Taking both of these as facts, which they are, I still think it's smarter to sit him down.  I don't want to see a small issue become a bigger one that lingers into late summer.

 

21 minutes ago, lost in dc said:

The season is over. Let him take care of the injury. There’s always next year, so we can say 51 years and still no cup.

We don't even know what the injury is, if it even is an inury.  There are plenty of hurt scenarios where there is minimal risk to play through it.  Ribs is one.  To an extent, hernia is another.

  • Thanks (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Weave said:

 

We don't even know what the injury is, if it even is an inury.  There are plenty of hurt scenarios where there is minimal risk to play through it.  Ribs is one.  To an extent, hernia is another.

Yes.  We do know there's an injury.   He took a maintenance day the day after the Otter game after having had only 2 games in 5 days.  He also hadn't taken a FO in any of the 3 games after the maintenance day and took only a handful of them late in yesterday's game.  He also is on his longest scoring slump all year and we have people complaining about his hustle for the 1st time in months.

You're right in saying there are several injuries that don't get aggravated by playing through them.  Whether he should play through it, it appears that he, the coaches, and the medical staff all agree he can and should.  That calculus can change.

Though he seems to be at about 85%, he's still as good as any other C they have and the team is playing hard picking up some of his slack but not enough to beat top teams like the Avs.  Really expect they're evaluating it each day and his not having taken any additional maintenance days is a positive sign IMHO.

Edited by Taro T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Yes.  We do know there's an injury.   He took a maintenance day the day after the Otter game after having had only 2 games in 5 days.  He also hadn't taken a FO in any of the 3 games after the maintenance day and took only a handful of them late in yesterday's game.  He also is on his longest scoring slump all year and we have people complaining about his hustle for the 1st time in months.

You're right in saying there are several injuries that don't get aggravated by playing through them.  Whether he should play through it, it appears that he, the coaches, and the medical staff all agree he can and should.  That calculus can change.

Though he seems to be at about 85%, he's still as good as any other C they have and the team is playing hard picking up some of his slack but not enough to beat top teams like the Avs.  Really expect they're evaluating it each day and his not having taken any additional maintenance days is a positive sign IMHO.

 

No.  We are deducing that there is an injury. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Weave said:

 

No.  We are deducing that there is an injury. 

Are we also deducing that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow?

At some point we can trust our observations and knowledge and accept the conclusion to which they bring us.

If he's "hurt" to the point it is affecting his play significantly enough that he's averaging exactly 1 faceoff per game so a career 30% guy can take them in his stead, we know he's injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Are we also deducing that the sun will rise in the East tomorrow? No.  That is scientific fact proven in multiple ways, not merely deduced by observation.

At some point we can trust our observations and knowledge and accept the conclusion to which they bring us. This is the definition of deduction.

If he's "hurt" to the point it is affecting his play significantly enough that he's averaging exactly 1 faceoff per game so a career 30% guy can take them in his stead, we know he's injured.  Also deduction.

End of pedantic display.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, darksabre said:

There's no way Jack is going to let them shut him down. 

I think we underestimate how much these guys care about their stat lines. Their hockey DB page. 

Jack wants to play for the team, of course, but he also wants to finish off his career year stat total he spent months building up at, until a few weeks ago, an electric rate. 

 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...