How hurt is Jack?

GASabresIUFAN

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think we underestimate how much these guys care about their stat lines. Their hockey DB page. 

Jack wants to play for the team, of course, but he also wants to finish off his career year stat total he spent months building up at, until a few weeks ago, an electric rate. 

I don't blame him at all. Get those numbers.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yep. Dude looks cooked

He does. I'm one of the few who also thinks he's been playing poorly the last bit, too. He's gotta finish it. If he puts up 85 points, is that still a "superstar" season?

We're just into debate territory again rather than a tentpole year. Obvious double entendre.

Edited by Thorny

not sure if you all saw this post from John Vogl but it tells us a lot about what is going on and how Jack is feeling these days (not good)...

Jack Eichel is one of the NHL’s elite talents, there’s no question about that. Unfortunately, those talents have not been able to be properly utilized. Similar to how the Edmonton Oilers couldn’t fully put it together even with Connor McDavid on board, the Buffalo Sabres just haven’t been able to take the next step.

For a player like Eichel who wears his heart on his sleeve and certainly does more than his fair share of the work, it’s particularly tough to keep ending up in the league basement. There’s no greater example of that than this imagery provided by John Vogl.

Following their 3rd game of a four-game road trip (also their 3rd loss of that four game road trip), Eichel was apparently feeling so devastated he didn’t even take his uniform off.

Jack Eichel still in full uniform long after every other Sabres player had left the locker room.
Realization that it’s over is here: “Big picture sucks, obviously,” Eichel said.

Ralph Krueger: "Now with the unraveling of this road trip, there’s a lot of pain here. ... We feel pain right now. There’s nothing I can say that’s going to make this pretty, but we definitely will stay on the growth path that we are on."

I think it is safe to say that the losing year after year is starting to get to Jack. Might he ask for a trade? Gotta think he is becoming more and more removed from this dysfunctional organization...

On 2/29/2020 at 8:41 AM, pi2000 said:

Agreed.  I'd guess back spasms as he's not taking faceoffs.   Tough to get leverage on draws, or when shooting.   I had the same problem in college (and played center), needed to take muscle relaxants which helps but is tough to play with as it affects your nervous system.

Could be lower back or abdominal or even rib cage.  

On 2/29/2020 at 10:33 PM, Thorny said:

He does. I'm one of the few who also thinks he's been playing poorly the last bit, too. He's gotta finish it. If he puts up 85 points, is that still a "superstar" season?

We're just into debate territory again rather than a tentpole year. Obvious double entendre.

He is having a superstar year whether he is injured, physically exhausted, mentally sick of losing , or any combination.  

17 minutes ago, Sabre fan said:

not sure if you all saw this post from John Vogl but it tells us a lot about what is going on and how Jack is feeling these days (not good)...

Jack Eichel is one of the NHL’s elite talents, there’s no question about that. Unfortunately, those talents have not been able to be properly utilized. Similar to how the Edmonton Oilers couldn’t fully put it together even with Connor McDavid on board, the Buffalo Sabres just haven’t been able to take the next step.

For a player like Eichel who wears his heart on his sleeve and certainly does more than his fair share of the work, it’s particularly tough to keep ending up in the league basement. There’s no greater example of that than this imagery provided by John Vogl.

Following their 3rd game of a four-game road trip (also their 3rd loss of that four game road trip), Eichel was apparently feeling so devastated he didn’t even take his uniform off.

Jack Eichel still in full uniform long after every other Sabres player had left the locker room.
Realization that it’s over is here: “Big picture sucks, obviously,” Eichel said.

Ralph Krueger: "Now with the unraveling of this road trip, there’s a lot of pain here. ... We feel pain right now. There’s nothing I can say that’s going to make this pretty, but we definitely will stay on the growth path that we are on."

I think it is safe to say that the losing year after year is starting to get to Jack. Might he ask for a trade? Gotta think he is becoming more and more removed from this dysfunctional organization...

Is that scientifically proven or just deduced?

On 2/29/2020 at 2:02 PM, Thorny said:

I think we underestimate how much these guys care about their stat lines. Their hockey DB page. 

Jack wants to play for the team, of course, but he also wants to finish off his career year stat total he spent months building up at, until a few weeks ago, an electric rate. 

Also cant underestimate that Jack is wearing the C, its like in Titanic, the captain goes down with the ship. Having that responsibility changes a players mindset too

1 hour ago, triumph_communes said:

No superstar is ever trapped. Who did Lindros play for again?

He hadn’t even played for Quebec, akin to Brayden Lemieux and refused to sign. Eichel is under contract and the captain of the team.  He can make many demands but a trade isn’t one of them. You also must include the pride of a player, this is his team and giving up isn’t exactly common among athletes; especially NHLers. 

If he wants out and sits out; we just suspend his pay and horde him until his contract ends or he returns. Since he would be unable to play elsewhere as he’d still be under contract; he’d have to sit out of the game he loves and make nothing for 6 years no player desires that.

I don’t think Jack is anywhere near wanting out of Buffalo. But in a year from now, if the team is in a similar position and playing meaningless games in March and April, I can see him having a dinner with the Pegulas and expressing his thoughts on where he’s at mentally about staying in Buffalo or not... He’d be snatched up by any team with the cap room. And he knows it.

Wasn’t there rumors that McDavid has had enough of the oilers? He’s frustrated as well. Again, silly speculation. 

34 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I don’t think Jack is anywhere near wanting out of Buffalo. But in a year from now, if the team is in a similar position and playing meaningless games in March and April, I can see him having a dinner with the Pegulas and expressing his thoughts on where he’s at mentally about staying in Buffalo or not... He’d be snatched up by any team with the cap room. And he knows it.

Wasn’t there rumors that McDavid has had enough of the oilers? He’s frustrated as well. Again, silly speculation. 

I bet a good amount of this speculation comes from entitled hockey media folks from the big markets who are:

A. Salty that their franchise didn't win the McDavid sweepsteaks

B. Feel it is almost a right of passage that players MUST want to play for their beloved market. They mutter to themselves: How DARE a superstar player wants to stay in Edmonton or Buffalo?

8 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

He can make many demands but a trade isn’t one of them. You also must include the pride of a player, this is his team and giving up isn’t exactly common among athletes; especially NHLers. 

If he wants out and sits out; we just suspend his pay and horde him until his contract ends or he returns. Since he would be unable to play elsewhere as he’d still be under contract; he’d have to sit out of the game he loves and make nothing for 6 years no player desires that.

So, why didn’t we do this with ROR?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, bunomatic said:

He’s hurt enough to seem uninterested.

I was watching him tonight against Winnipeg, particularly thinking about his "injury".  I thought he looked pretty good from a physical standpoint; there isn't anything obvious I can see that he can't do at the moment.

I do think he is "dinged up" more than injured, but probably not quite right.

Don't forget, Harrington reporting a couple games ago how the group was still sitting around in their uniforms and equipment, a long time after the game ended.  Eichel came out to talk to the Press wearing everything but a helmet...Harrington's observation being in the room was that the group realized any playoff push was officially over.

So maybe Eichel's "injury" is simply a loss of focus and concentration.  I don't blame him.

He raised his game to a new level this year and had a great season.  He was quite consistent at that higher level too.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.