GDT: 10/22/19 Sharks at Buffalo, 7pm ET, MSG and WGR550

jsb

10 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I practically grew up at Chef's. My mom used to work with Lou Billittier on the board of ECC.  We went there for family gatherings, for dinner before Sabres games or whenever we were downtown.  I always loved Spaghetti Parm.  

Their sauce is great if you like a meat flavored but sweet sauce.  If that isn't your thing, I can see why someone wouldn't enjoy it.

I've been away from Buffalo for 30 years and while I knew it was a sweet sauce, my taste buds had forgotten how sweet when I went back a few years ago.  It took a few minutes to get acquainted with it again.  

So many great memories there.  I miss it.

As for tonight's game; this should be a real test of their character.  SJ wants revenge for losing to us in their building and wants to get their East Coast roadie off on the right foot.  

Sabres pull it out in OT. 4-3.

57 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

?

I think we all know who the real winner is tonight.

Good call, GA.

41 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Jack has 13 of his 14 pts at home.  

He shouldn't travel with the team.  Let him sit, play ERod in his spot.

36 minutes ago, SwampD said:

We did. Was that Sampson?!

I thought it was Skinner at the time, but his mouth wasn't moving. And his voice is higher.

Edited by Doohickie

33 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I'm kinda half-way sold on this team.   They still revert back to their old style of play for a little bit each game, but they're getting better.    

It's like someone said a few days ago:  NO team plays their absolute best for 60 minutes every game.  The Sabres are no exception.  Although I'm a bit concerned that they too quickly go Alamo when they're up, there is ZERO quit in them when they're down.  It's working out so far.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

It's like someone said a few days ago:  NO team plays their absolute best for 60 minutes every game.  The Sabres are no exception.  Although I'm a bit concerned that they too quickly go Alamo when they're up, there is ZERO quit in them when they're down.  It's working out so far.

Agree. And anyone who expects perfection or near perfection for 60 mins a game are quite detached from the reality of sports. Or just have unrealistic expectations and will always be disappointed. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres had some bad bounces tonight.  They also faced a SJS team that was working about as hard as they will ever this season.  SJS deserves credit for making that game what it was.  They absolutely had the Sabres for much of the first and most of the third.  They were very smart in their forecheck and they backed off if the forecheck wasn't there and played some serious trap hockey to swallow up the Buffalo rush.

All night, there were little missed passes by Buffalo and some bounces that seemed to just find the SJS sticks and not Buffalo.  Two of the SJS goals were on D jumping into the play and some excellent passing by SJS to hit that D for the goal.  The D coverage needs to be better, but those goals happen.  The deflection?  Whatever.. it happens, ask Reino.

SJS made it a point to get the puck to the D for the point shot and then collapsed their 3 forwards to the net, all night.  It worked well.  

Buffalo did not win a ton of pucks on the forecheck tonight.  SJS seemed to be able to get it out of the zone with relative ease.

The OT?  That's Buffalo.. and it was beautiful.

Overall, these are the nights when stuff stacks against you, your opponent is good and motivated, and you still find a way to win.  Let's hope these kinds of games don't continue, but they walk out with 2 points and I can take that.

• Like (+1) 2

They played h&h with a team expected to be in the mix for the a Stanley Cup and took 4 points and only let that team come away with 1.  It was a very good team effort both games.  Yes, there were tough moments, but nobody is going to dominate for 60 minutes against good teams that are on their game.  (And since Marleau came back, these guys are on their game.)

And now, courtesy of being 5 points ahead of where they need to be at the 10 game mark, should they get a mere 80 points in their next 72, they're at 97 which would almost always get a team in the dance.  (Basically a smidge over 11 points every 10 games which is typically a DeLuca 0.500.).  Granted, that's not an absolute given they'll do that, but there's a REALLY good chance (should they stay reasonably healthy) they will.)

And how expensive must Sabres - Bolts in November be now on the 2ndary market?  Those lucky Swedes that have tix to those 2 games are going to get to see 2 highly relevant teams (at least by the time the games are played, hopefully far longer than that).

Krueger Kool-aid - yum.

• Like (+1) 3

I only was able to watch a bit of the second and some highlights, but I loved what I saw.  (Well, outside of the D on the first goal.  Cant let TWO players have an opportunity to redirect.)  Anyway.  Two more and on to the hell holes that are MSG and wherever Detroit "plays."

Another win is a good thing... Sharks brought it and Sabres responded.  Shark goals were tough, double triple deflection and Girgenson losing sight of Carlson... still Sabres hung in there and controlled OT.  Sabres need another physical forward with some skill but team is playing as a team.  Cozens and TT next  year should be able to fill in those gaps.  Still hope Sabres can find a trade partner for a 2C with all the extra D.

• Like (+1) 1

Krueger‘s Edmonton team looked great in their first twenty games and then had a monumental collapse.  Pundits said it was a young team that couldn’t adjust as teams adjusted to them and the games got tougher. It was also post lockout where a lot of teams were in a weird rusty state to start with. 

Hope this doesn’t repeat that. 

Edited by triumph_communes

That was a great hockey game.

I hope I look half as cool as Rick Dudley looks when I’m his age.

Eichel made a few mistakes, but he still made about 20 amazing plays in that game even without the scoring plays.   The skill with which he (and Dahlin) controls the puck is really something.

Reino and Skinner also played very well and created a ton of chances.

I don’t blame the fans for not selling out the building after this long in the desert, but I hope they start soon. The Sabres are finally putting out a product worth the price.

Say it loud:  Ra-Kruuuuuuuuuuu!!!

• Like (+1) 2

Couple other game notes:

- Mitts’ line looks like it has moved ahead of Larsson’s line in the rotation.

- What a great play by Mitts in the OT to hustle back on D, intercept the SJ pass and then find Risto to set up the GWG.

- I know some were criticizing VO upthread but I thought he had a nice bounce back game, with good strength on the puck and better decisions..

- At one point in the 2nd (I think), Risto tried to hit Marleau and Marleau braced himself and sent Risto the other way.

- Scandella is a large dude. 

- The Sabres are on pace for 65 wins. 

• Like (+1) 1

• SDS unpinned this topic
7 hours ago, Eleven said:

I only was able to watch a bit of the second and some highlights, but I loved what I saw.  (Well, outside of the D on the first goal.  Cant let TWO players have an opportunity to redirect.)  Anyway.  Two more and on to the hell holes that are MSG and wherever Detroit "plays."

I love seeing games at MSG, I've also had the pleasure of playing a game there. I would not describe it as a hell hole. 

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Couple other game notes:

- Mitts’ line looks like it has moved ahead of Larsson’s line in the rotation.

- What a great play by Mitts in the OT to hustle back on D, intercept the SJ pass and then find Risto to set up the GWG.

- I know some were criticizing VO upthread but I thought he had a nice bounce back game, with good strength on the puck and better decisions..

- At one point in the 2nd (I think), Risto tried to hit Marleau and Marleau braced himself and sent Risto the other way.

- Scandella is a large dude. 

- The Sabres are on pace for 65 wins. 

I get the feeling that in games where an opponent is really shifty we're going to see less of the LOG line. They're perfectly useful against most teams, but San Jose was giving them fits with their speed and stick work. A game like that means the more talented lines get most of the work even if they aren't typically defensive shutdown lines. Sometimes you just need the talent to turn the tables quickly on an aggressive opponent.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.