GDT - Sabres @ Washington - December 21, 2018 - 7:00 PM NBCSN

Sabres Fan in NS

1 hour ago, ... said:

Can't agree with this.  I think we've seen worse from him in prior games.  I think the short-handed chance caught everyone on the ice off guard - but Hutton was way too deep in the crease.  He could have come out, or poke-checked, or something.  Hutton looked like he was caught watching the game.  

On the second, I think he wasn't able to process what was going on fast enough, having learned to trust Hutton with the puck.  He'll never let a play like that get the best of him again, but that one, in particular, was Dahlin's lack of experience working against him.  He simply was unable to predict what he should be doing.

On the 1st goal, he literally was in position a full 3-4' closer to the Sabres zone after he'd turned to head back towards his end as the play started to move up ice and chopped at the puck & missed then LITERALLY glided the entire way into the Sabres zone watching Ristolainen try to catch up to him.  

Regarding the 2nd goal: So, his being "simply ... unable to predict what he should be doing" somehow made that less of a gaffe on his part?  Not quite following you there.

Edited by Taro T

It's easy to grab a goal and point fingers at the guy who caused it. Hutton blew a play tonight, Dahlin last game, somebody else next time, but none of that matters unless it's the same guy night after night. I said at the beginning of the year we would probably lose a lot of close games this year and it's starting to happen. Still much better than last year and most nights we are a shot away from OT or a win but I see 2 glaring recurring problems with this team that will either keep us from the playoffs of make our run short.

1) We are being built for speed and win by attacking the opposition relentlessly and keeping the play in their end. Too many times however, like tonight (and Florida), we drift from our game and let the other team dictate the style of play. We end up playing their game  (be it close checking or slower or more defensive etc.) and we are not very good at it. We have to keep dictating the play and make them play our way for 60 minutes to succeed.

2) The Powerless Play is killing us and if it stays this anemic we will get beaten up and beaten down. Add a lethal PP to this team and we would be sitting atop the league. I'm not sure exactly why it sucks so bad but my own theory is when we are on the PP we get away from our style. We slow it down trying to be precise and set up the perfect play but we are better when we are more frenetic and aggressive, use our speed. If we did that, we will make a few more mistakes but I think our production would go up. The faster we play, the better we look, but who knows, obviously not the coaching staff.

Still fun to watch this year and that's something, regardless. 

I don't have time to check this thread, or anything until later ... going to the farmers market the Sat. before Christmas.  I hope we make it out alive, so we can go out for a nice breakfast afterwards.

We lost a close one to the defending cup champs.  In there building.  At any point in the last 5+ years anyone of us would have planned a party in the plaza and a parade if this happened.

We can at least watch the games and enjoy them win, or not (mostly anyway).

Onward ...

8 hours ago, Taro T said:

Didn't go back through to read this entire thread, but did anybody else think Dahlin had his worst game wearing the crossed swords on his chest?

On the 1st goal, which was initially Ristolainen's brainfart, he was in position initially on Stevenson & then literally drifted all the way back into the zone & was barely in the picture by the time he took the shot.  Risto recovered well enough that had Dahlin skated back hard, there wouldn't even have been a scoring chance against.

On the 2nd goal, another teammate's brainfart, he just stood there watching Hutton fumble around & then reacted late to try to help.

He had a couple other pucks bounce off his stick into the slot & seemed slow in making decisions with the puckin the offensive end.

His best play was diving onto Holtby's head.  Unfortunately the ensuing scrum moved the faceoff outside the zone ending any realistic chance to get to OT

Liked the other 5 D's games.

Eh, overall thought they played better than the Caps but Holtby was by far the best player on the ice.  Fortunately, only 1 more game against them this season.  Beat the Ducks & all's forgiven.  Thought goose was more of a Christmas thing, but roasted duck works as well.

It's tough to say. I think he makes terrible plays most games. Last nights were just more visible. He's still making terrible decisions in his own end. 

• Like (+1) 1

I'm just pissed.  Last night was supposed to be Buffalo Ultimate Sports Night.  Sabres at Caps, UB at Marquette.  Half of the friends I was supposed to meet didn't show up, and the ones who did were drunk.  And both teams lost.  I guess I'll try again tonight with Anaheim and whatever half-assed bowl game UB is in, but it's really not the same.

Edited by Eleven

• SDS unpinned this topic

Was at the game last night with my daughter.  Excellent game.  Sabres could not finish, but Holtby had a lot to do with that.  He really stood on his head.  Without the Hutton brain fart--and it happens to everyone-- would have gotten at least a point.  Loved the Sabres' game in the 3rd especially.  Tough loss.  But this team is so much better than before night in and night out-- except against Florida.

• Like (+1) 4

Holtby outplayed Hutton, that's the short of it, I honestly thought we outplayed them for a better portion of the game. 

I, again, saw many hooks and interference go uncalled, I hate that it's being allowed again. 

Otherwise it was disappointing, just because they could have easily won that game. 

I hope like hell we beat the ducks tonight! 

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

WRONG.  Dahlin was already below the circle when the whistle blew, he's allowed to be down there.  However, when the scrum began & the other Sabre players who had been above the circles when the scrum began moved down THAT moved the faceoff outside the zone.

I'm pretty sure Ristolainen was the only Sabre above the circle after the whistle. It was a dumb move by him, but realistically what's he supposed to do? It's a questionable rule.

12 hours ago, Taro T said:

Didn't go back through to read this entire thread, but did anybody else think Dahlin had his worst game wearing the crossed swords on his chest?

On the 1st goal, which was initially Ristolainen's brainfart, he was in position initially on Stevenson & then literally drifted all the way back into the zone & was barely in the picture by the time he took the shot.  Risto recovered well enough that had Dahlin skated back hard, there wouldn't even have been a scoring chance against.

I pointed it out. That stuff drives me crazy. Sobotka did it later, drifting in the slot while the Caps broke in. Not quite Ovechkin broken controller territory, but close. It's like these guys pull the chute thinking the result of the play is going to be either a goal or a save. Uh, rebound? Hello?

5 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I don't have time to check this thread, or anything until later ... going to the farmers market the Sat. before Christmas.  I hope we make it out alive, so we can go out for a nice breakfast afterwards.

We lost a close one to the defending cup champs.  In there building.  At any point in the last 5+ years anyone of us would have planned a party in the plaza and a parade if this happened.

We can at least watch the games and enjoy them win, or not (mostly anyway).

Onward ...

I'll allow it because you didn't see the game (I think). Washington was crap. They weren't even defending Cusp champions. The game was sitting there to be won. The Sabres outshot them the way the Redskins outscored the Bills in the Super Bowl (37-24). Ovechkin did nothing. It was two boners and a bunch of missed glorious chances that did them in. No "A" for effort.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'm pretty sure Ristolainen was the only Sabre above the circle after the whistle. It was a dumb move by him, but realistically what's he supposed to do? It's a questionable rule.

I pointed it out. That stuff drives me crazy. Sobotka did it later, drifting in the slot while the Caps broke in. Not quite Ovechkin broken controller territory, but close. It's like these guys pull the chute thinking the result of the play is going to be either a goal or a save. Uh, rebound? Hello?

I'll allow it because you didn't see the game (I think). Washington was crap. They weren't even defending Cusp champions. The game was sitting there to be won. The Sabres outshot them the way the Redskins outscored the Bills in the Super Bowl (37-24). Ovechkin did nothing. It was two boners and a bunch of missed glorious chances that did them in. No "A" for effort.

The rule is an artifact from a much different league.  It did serve a purpose, but now that fighting has been reduced as much as it has it doesn't seem to be as useful.  Would be surprised if they ever remove it though as removing it would likely add a few minutes to the time it takes to play a full game.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Real good defensive effort.

Real bad offensive execution.

Yeah as much as I don't enjoy all things Jeremy Roenick, he was beside himself as to how many giveaways the caps had leading directly to Buffalo scoring chances. Easlity a half dozen, almost all of which any team would normally capitalize on. Somehow the Sabres got none. 

8 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Good to see you.  How are you doing after the big storm?

Not bad. We have power which is more than a lot can say. A tree fell on the wifes car at work, well more specifically on the car next to hers and crushed it. Covered her car in big branches but when they were all cut away there wasn't a scratch on her car so we feel very fortunate.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• spndnchz pinned and unpinned this topic
35 minutes ago, TrueBlueGED said:

Know what's weird? We got out of the game without Wilson decapitating anyone. I was told you need a Wilson-type to prevent that from happening. We don't have one. Yet, it didn't happen. Very odd indeed. 

Counter point: Wilson scored a goal, and held us to one goal

Edited by WildCard

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Holtby outplayed Hutton, that's the short of it, I honestly thought we outplayed them for a better portion of the game. 

I, again, saw many hooks and interference go uncalled, I hate that it's being allowed again. 

Otherwise it was disappointing, just because they could have easily won that game. 

I hope like hell we beat the ducks tonight! 

I just finished talking with a long-time Caps fan. He more or less said the same thing. He came away very impressed with the speed of the Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.