GDT - Sabres @ Washington - December 21, 2018 - 7:00 PM NBCSN

Sabres Fan in NS

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

We are in dire need of secondary scoring. 

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

???? - Mitts - ????

???? - ???? - ????

Girgs - Larsson - Thompson

I liked Thompson's game tonight.  It was simple but ultimately effective:  Shoot the puck or move it forward.  Every.  Time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

The PP has this awful tendency of doing 50 drop passes ad almost solely relying on Eichel when they aren't producing. Just watch games where they are more successful; Eichel isn't the lone guy bringing the puck over the line through skating or passing. 

We are in dire need of secondary scoring. 

Skinner - Eichel - Reinhart

???? - Mitts - ????

???? - ???? - ????

Girgs - Larsson - Thompson

That's what our team was tonight offensively and our PP was atrocious. I'd call up Olafsson and she if he could stimulate the PP with his elite shot. 

You just penciled in Mitts as if he's not a problem....

JB needs to find a veteran #2C as soon as ***** possible because not making the playoffs this year is totally unacceptable.

Just now, Doohickie said:

I liked Thompson's game tonight.  It was simple but ultimately effective:  Shoot the puck or move it forward.  Every.  Time.

I saw a few cute plays that made me yell at the TV.  Not sure who it was, but I did notice TT taking some shots.  I don't know if I liked his game, though, generally.  He's still weak on the puck.  He is good for a few shots and creating turn-overs...I'll give him that.

1 minute ago, FuhrUrsinne said:

You just penciled in Mitts as if he's not a problem....

JB needs to find a veteran #2C as soon as ***** possible because not making the playoffs this year is totally unacceptable.

The kid drew two penalties.  Hard to fault him for not creating when he's getting hacked all night.

Just now, ... said:

I saw a few cute plays that made me yell at the TV.  Not sure who it was, but I did notice TT taking some shots.  I don't know if I liked his game, though, generally.  He's still weak on the puck.  He is good for a few shots and creating turn-overs...I'll give him that.

Yeah. I didn’t see a particularly strong game from him. I guess we all see different things. 

Reinhart had an awful game in my opinion. He was off in just about every way. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ... said:

I don't think he's a top 6 forward at this point, but he does some things pretty well.  That stick is a turnover machine.  And he's a decent trigger man.  It was his shot that Larry tipped in.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Reinhart had an awful game in my opinion. He was off in just about every way. 

I'll one-up you and say I didn't really like Skinner's game, either.  He and Samson weren't doing Jack any favors.

Anyone notice Mitts' mom?  She looked like she was in her early 30's.

Hutton made a mistake but no way did he lose the game.   Last time I checked this was a team sport   

1.  Power play gave up a goal and scored none, including with 6 on 4 skaters  

2.  Lines 2 and 3 did nothing for most of the game, as usual 

3.  Traffic in front of the net would help tie up a d-man, then maybe some quality shots could get through. 

Overall we played a good game.  Last years  #1 versus #31, remember?  

We have come a long way but it is getting clearer that by the end of the season we will be clawing just to make the playoffs.  We are not a top tier team.  Our middle 6 is clearly not very good, we lack playoff experience, our goaltending is still to be determined   Still I like this team, they fought to the end  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I don't think he's a top 6 forward at this point, but he does some things pretty well.  That stick is a turnover machine.  And he's a decent trigger man.  It was his shot that Larry tipped in.

Well, given that he whiffed and it took two bounces I’m not sure much can be said about that goal. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Doohickie said:

Perspective I guess.  Time for moral victories is over though.

Agreed.  Now that the shock and awe campaign is over, they need to get back to work and build us a legit Cup contender. No one is safe.

• Like (+1) 2

Didn't go back through to read this entire thread, but did anybody else think Dahlin had his worst game wearing the crossed swords on his chest?

On the 1st goal, which was initially Ristolainen's brainfart, he was in position initially on Stevenson & then literally drifted all the way back into the zone & was barely in the picture by the time he took the shot.  Risto recovered well enough that had Dahlin skated back hard, there wouldn't even have been a scoring chance against.

On the 2nd goal, another teammate's brainfart, he just stood there watching Hutton fumble around & then reacted late to try to help.

He had a couple other pucks bounce off his stick into the slot & seemed slow in making decisions with the puckin the offensive end.

His best play was diving onto Holtby's head.  Unfortunately the ensuing scrum moved the faceoff outside the zone ending any realistic chance to get to OT

Liked the other 5 D's games.

Eh, overall thought they played better than the Caps but Holtby was by far the best player on the ice.  Fortunately, only 1 more game against them this season.  Beat the Ducks & all's forgiven.  Thought goose was more of a Christmas thing, but roasted duck works as well.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

His best play was diving onto Holtby's head.  Unfortunately the ensuing scrum moved the faceoff outside the zone ending any realistic chance to get to OT

Actually it was Dahlin jumping on Holtby that moved the faceoff out.  If the D-men come in from the point when the goalie freezes the puck, the faceoff moves out of the zone.

4 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I suppose I could take a loss away at the Cup holders if the Sabres didn't play like absolute crap.  But hey did play like absolute crap.  That goal--DC was shorthanded FFS--grrrrr/

They played okay.  Isolated brain farts killed them.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Didn't go back through to read this entire thread, but did anybody else think Dahlin had his worst game wearing the crossed swords on his chest?

On the 1st goal, which was initially Ristolainen's brainfart, he was in position initially on Stevenson & then literally drifted all the way back into the zone & was barely in the picture by the time he took the shot.  Risto recovered well enough that had Dahlin skated back hard, there wouldn't even have been a scoring chance against.

On the 2nd goal, another teammate's brainfart, he just stood there watching Hutton fumble around & then reacted late to try to help.

Can't agree with this.  I think we've seen worse from him in prior games.  I think the short-handed chance caught everyone on the ice off guard - but Hutton was way too deep in the crease.  He could have come out, or poke-checked, or something.  Hutton looked like he was caught watching the game.  

On the second, I think he wasn't able to process what was going on fast enough, having learned to trust Hutton with the puck.  He'll never let a play like that get the best of him again, but that one, in particular, was Dahlin's lack of experience working against him.  He simply was unable to predict what he should be doing.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Actually it was Dahlin jumping on Holtby that moved the faceoff out.  If the D-men come in from the point when the goalie freezes the puck, the faceoff moves out of the zone.

They played okay.  Isolated brain farts killed them.

WRONG.  Dahlin was already below the circle when the whistle blew, he's allowed to be down there.  However, when the scrum began & the other Sabre players who had been above the circles when the scrum began moved down THAT moved the faceoff outside the zone.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.