Trade: Ryan O'Reilly to St Louis Blues

CallawaySabres

I think I'm ok with this. It's a long term thing, we got a lot of young players in return, namely the young center and first rd pick Thompson, the the first and second later on. That is great for the long term health of the organization.

We gained 150K in cap savings.  This is what is FRUSTRATING to me.  I find it completely unacceptable.  That's where I'm frustrated, I get taking on one of the two players.  Berglund hasn't been a particularly strong players in 3-4 seasons.  He's a bottom six forward and a terrible replacement on the wings.  I'm hoping we trade him immediately. 

Not a single prime piece, though. We got volume. And much of it was short-term volume. Awful.

I think it is safe to say that this season is going to be determined by Casey Middlestadts success. The wingers are now there I guess.

So, prior to this trade O'Reilly was (depending upon how quickly Dahlin approaches his ceiling) theSabres 2nd (or 3rd, far more likely 2nd) best player.

Who holds that title now? Ristolainen, Reinhart, Dahlin, Sheary?

Knew the Sabres would be giving up the best piece. Was hoping for a Nieuwendyk - Iginla type deal. This one feels far more like Hasek to Detroit or Miller to the Blues. Would really rather have had young quality coming back rather than quantity.

We gained 150K in cap savings. This is what is FRUSTRATING to me. I find it completely unacceptable. That's where I'm frustrated, I get taking on one of the two players. Berglund hasn't been a particularly strong players in 3-4 seasons. He's a bottom six forward and a terrible replacement on the wings. I'm hoping we trade him immediately.

Exactly. 1 of them fine, both without Kyrou or Thomas, it

The same way we were when we acquired a younger O'Reilly?

In a league where center depth is so important, he's now on his third team.

Exactly, fck O'Reilly and every game he played in....and his weak mental attitude. Get that crap off my team last year.

There are plenty of examples where supposed top players are traded off a team and and they immediately get better.

Give the C to Jack and let's go

Edited by CallawaySabres

We gained 150K in cap savings. This is what is FRUSTRATING to me. I find it completely unacceptable. That's where I'm frustrated, I get taking on one of the two players. Berglund hasn't been a particularly strong players in 3-4 seasons. He's a bottom six forward and a terrible replacement on the wings. I'm hoping we trade him immediately.

Today, this is correct. Fast forward 2 and 3 years and it's a different story.

We got draft capital and cap flexibility, which is a theme with this new management

We gained 150K in cap savings.  This is what is FRUSTRATING to me.  I find it completely unacceptable.  That's where I'm frustrated, I get taking on one of the two players.  Berglund hasn't been a particularly strong players in 3-4 seasons.  He's a bottom six forward and a terrible replacement on the wings.  I'm hoping we trade him immediately.

The two vets were salary dumps so we could get the young players.

JBott now has a Sabre legacy going forward. Those three young players could have an impact for over a decade

Love the deal. That's 5 legitimate pieces for O'Reilly, and they covered his tab.

Awesome. I don't understand the depressing atmosphere here. That's a solid haul.

Berglund and Sabotka are feckless. Won't make any difference. Tage sounds like a slightly more talented gaustad. And nhl draft picks are a roll of the dice. I'll Be surprised if in 5 years the Sabres have anything tangible from this trade.

The two vets were salary dumps so we could get the young players.

JBott now has a Sabre legacy going forward. Those three young players could have an impact for over a decade

Late firsts and second round picks aren't exactly a lock to be NHL players.

Exactly. 1 of them fine, both without Kyrou or Thomas, ###### it

To be honest, I'm not really that worried about this.  Do you know how many forwards excel in the CHL and then come to the NHL And under produce.  Look at Ty Rattie and countless others.  I do agree with you to a degree that another "Prospect" was needed.  See Alexei Toropchenko or someone in that ilk.  Tage Thompson fits the mold of American centermen and he brings a good bit of size and strength. 

Some scary stuff on Berglund...who is under contract for quite a few more years:  (Via https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2018/6/12/17453646/five-questions-the-st-louis-blues-must-answer-this-summer)

He did somehow manage to record 17 goals in 57 games. Over 82 games, that would put him on pace for a career-best 24 goals. The Blues, who only had three 20-goal scorers last season, wouldn’t seem to be in a position to abandon another potential contributor.

And yet Berglund recorded only nine assists. Of those nine, seven were primary assists. Of those seven, only three were assists on goals scored by forwards.

Of those three, only one - a single goal by Alexander Steen against Columbus on March 24th - was a pass. The other two were deflections.

Patrik Berglund, ostensibly a center, passed the puck to a forward in a manner that resulted in a goal exactly one time over the full course of an NHL season.

Contenders have to demand more production of their players. And the Blues have to demand that Berglund accepts a ticket out of town.

We got draft capital and cap flexibility, which is a theme with this new management

Exactly the picks are fine, and Tage Thompson is fine.  But, adding all this unnecessary cap, should have been St Louis' problem.  Not ours.  Now we have to look at getting rid of Pominville.  He has NO PLACE on this roster. 

Wasn't the same things said a few years ago after getting Sam and then getting Jack?

I believe it was also a theme of the previous management

Some scary stuff on Berglund...who is under contract for quite a few more years: (Via https://www.stlouisgametime.com/2018/6/12/17453646/five-questions-the-st-louis-blues-must-answer-this-summer)

He did somehow manage to record 17 goals in 57 games. Over 82 games, that would put him on pace for a career-best 24 goals. The Blues, who only had three 20-goal scorers last season, wouldn’t seem to be in a position to abandon another potential contributor.

And yet Berglund recorded only nine assists. Of those nine, seven were primary assists. Of those seven, only three were assists on goals scored by forwards.

Of those three, only one - a single goal by Alexander Steen against Columbus on March 24th - was a pass. The other two were deflections.

Patrik Berglund, ostensibly a center, passed the puck to a forward in a manner that resulted in a goal exactly one time over the full course of an NHL season.

Contenders have to demand more production of their players. And the Blues have to demand that Berglund accepts a ticket out of town.

Perfect

Berglund and Sabotka are feckless. Won't make any difference. Tage sounds like a slightly more talented gaustad. And nhl draft picks are a roll of the dice. I'll Be surprised if in 5 years the Sabres have anything tangible from this trade.

What will O'Reilly be in five years? Probably done!

because sobotka and berglund suck and have bad contracts, that's a big part of it.

Sobotka's contract is irrelevant.  He's signed for two more years.  He's depth and experience.  Eh.

Berglund has historically been very good for possession metrics and he's signed for less than $4M AAV the next four years so his contract isn't going to affect anything either.  I'm glad we have him going into this season with ROR gone.

Thompson should this year and be a guy who's here when we're trying to contend.  And the 1st and 2nd will be handy (either via trade or if we use them) long term as well.

It's not a super thrilling trade in that we didn't get one big player back in return but I think it's mostly confirmation that we needed ROR off the team.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.