2018 Free Agent Frenzy!

LGR4GM

@NicholsOnHockey
Friedman: "I had a general manager say to me yesterday... 'I will bet you my house that the Islanders are going to offer-sheet someone in Toronto.'"

Nylander is their only RFA?

Basically. Not to mention I'm pretty sure the Islanders don't have the picks to even afford Nylander. Or that Nylander himself would have to want to leave Toronto

The wikis for 2019 and 2020 show that NYI has:

2019 1

NOT 2019 2

NOT 2019 3

2020 1

2020 2

2020 3

The compensation schedule is:

$1,339,575 or less No compensation

$1,339,576 to $2,029,659 Third-round pick

$2,029,660 to $4,059,322 Second-round pick

$4,059,323 to $6,088,980 First and third-round picks

$6,088,981 to $8,118,641 First, second and third-round picks

$8,118,642 to $10,148,302 Two firsts, a second and third-round picks

Over $10,148,302 Four first-round picks

This suggests that they could only go all in on four 1st rounders, as they can't meet the requirements in 2019. Is Nylander worth four 1sts from a bad team that just lost Tavares?  No.  Should Toronto get four more 1st rounders like that?  ###### no.

Maybe the rules allow for 2019 1, 2020 1, 2020 2, 2020 3, which NYI still has.  But seriously, >$8.1M and really good 1,1,2,3s for Nylander?

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Islanders could offer sheet Nylander $6 mil and only lose a 1st and 3rd

Buffalo should sign Reinhart then offer sheet Andreas Johnson a 3 year $3.5 million contract...Sell him on coming and playing with all the Swedes on the Sabres!!! 

It would only cost the Sabres a second rd pick...and if Toronto resigns him then it will just make it more difficult to sign all their guys next year...

Edited by sweetlou

If you're gonna offer sheet below $8.1M, you go just below the maximum dollar value in the range you want. That way, it gives you the best chance to get the player because a) the player will want the money, and b) if the other team did match, they would get cap the hardest.

So, if you thought Johnson was worth a 1st and 3rd (separate debate), you offer him $4M to convince him to sign and to screw the other team if he doesn't.

Islanders could offer sheet Nylander $6 mil and only lose a 1st and 3rd

They don't have a 2019 3rd.

I had forgotten; the replies reminded me.  My apologies!  And hang in there.

Remind them that they've been to the semis a/k/a conference finals what, once, in the last 50 years?  And how did that work out?

exactly.....the sabres have been by far the superior franchise. but they do need to get something going pretty soon.

Thank you. In a weird way, that just made me feel slightly better after this horrendous trade.

While I do not view the ROR trade all that bad, I'd just about anything to help you guys and gals out.  Glad to help you in this small way.

@IgorEronko
Per @Boogaard_2 Nail Yakupov is set to sign with SKA of the #KHL #Avs

Seems like just yesterday that NHL teams were tripping over themselves in their best efforts to ... 'Fail For Nail'!!

I guess that when you hate your rival more than wanting to actually win, you sign James Neal.

I get the hate for his antics but James Neal has always been on and contributed to winning teams. We could use a player or two nobody likes (outside of our fan base).

The #Preds have signed forward Colin Blackwell to a two-year, two-way contract worth $650k at the NHL level and $100k at the AHL level in 2018-19, then $700k at the NHL level and $100k at the AHL level in 2019-20 >>

Former Amerk

Lehner to the Isle?

A beardless Lehner will be a site to behold

For as much as we’ve grumbled around here about the offseason it’s amazing to see teams that have done nothing.

The Wild came in with a new GM in Paul Fenton (the guy I wish we hired both times we had an opening) and in need of a shakeup and haven’t done anything to this point.

The Habs came in seeming like a team that was ready to move on from Patches and bring in a Center... end flipped Galchenyuk for a worse winger.

The Oilers, Blackhawks and Ducks are three other teams that there was much talk about but nothing has happened.

I don’t blame teams like the Sharks, Stars, Lightning and Bruins because they were teams around the cap that focused the early portion of their offseason on Tavares.

The Habs came in seeming like a team that was ready to move on from Patches and bring in a Center... end flipped Galchenyuk for a worse winger.

But the GM has seemly leaked about 3 different places where he was about to trade him.  That's got to be great for the locker room.

The #Preds have signed forward Colin Blackwell to a two-year, two-way contract worth $650k at the NHL level and $100k at the AHL level in 2018-19, then $700k at the NHL level and $100k at the AHL level in 2019-20 >>

Former Amerk

A beardless Lehner will be a site to behold

Wasn't he the guy everyone who follows the Amerks on here was so high on?

But the GM has seemly leaked about 3 different places where he was about to trade him. That's got to be great for the locker room.

I like that Bergevin knows he’s so bad that he has to come out and be like “well, I ALMOST accomplished something.”

Wasn't he the guy everyone who follows the Amerks on here was so high on?

Yes sir.

Per Kathyrn Tappen

The @Senators offered Erik Karlsson an 8 year contract extension for $10M per season. Now they are in serious trade talks with multiple teams highly interested. #NHLNews

For as much as we’ve grumbled around here about the offseason it’s amazing to see teams that have done nothing.

The Wild came in with a new GM in Paul Fenton (the guy I wish we hired both times we had an opening) and in need of a shakeup and haven’t done anything to this point.

The Oilers, Blackhawks and Ducks are three other teams that there was much talk about but nothing has happened.

I don’t blame teams like the Sharks, Stars, Lightning and Bruins because they were teams around the cap that focused the early portion of their offseason on Tavares.

It also makes you think about what the rest of the summer has in store once the teams are done signing UFAs, RFAs are settled out and the need to lock a roster down more begins around September.

There are more moves that could be made.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.