2018 Free Agent Frenzy!

LGR4GM

I would but I have the bowels of an old man and that stuff makes me so sick lol

Umm... well... 

A little help here?  Anybody?  Woody or Brawndo or other doctors maybe?  Chz, you're smart, what do we do here?

We just watched last place 3 of 5. I'm 23 and don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, my kidney should treat you well! 

In 2006 we watched the team dominate the league.  They were stacked.  They never made it to the Cup.  You don't remember that.  Or rather I should say.. you were too young to fully comprehend it all.

In 1999 we watched the team make it to the Cup and get screwed by a rule.  You don't remember that.

I get that you don't have the same perspective that some of us have.  There are people who have experienced that and don't take the same stance I do.

If you had an opportunity to insure that the Sabres made it to the Cup Finals next year but also had to agree that for the next 10 years they're average finishing position would be 27th and they wouldn't make the playoffs, would you do it?  Mind you, the Sabres aren't winning the Cup.  That has to be played out.  It also doesn't mean in year 11 they make the playoffs.

I would never make that deal.  Because I know that sometimes it's a staph infection that kills your chances.  I know that sometimes, despite how the rules are written, the call doesn't fo your way.  There's no talent involved in that outcome. 

You might be tempted to make that deal.  The team might even win.  But by year 8 you'd be sick of losing again.  Sick of last place finishes.  

I need to sleep.

Edited by LTS

In 2006 we watched the team dominate the league.  They were stacked.  They never made it to the Cup.  You don't remember that.

In 1999 we watched the team make it to the Cup and get screwed by a rule.  You don't remember that.

I get that you don't have the same perspective that some of us have.  There are people who have experienced that and don't take the same stance I do.

If you had an opportunity to insure that the Sabres made it to the Cup Finals next year but also had to agree that for the next 10 years they're average finishing position would be 27th and they wouldn't make the playoffs, would you do it?  Mind you, the Sabres aren't winning the Cup.  That has to be played out.  It also doesn't mean in year 11 they make the playoffs.

I would never make that deal.  Because I know that sometimes it's a staph infection that kills your chances.  I know that sometimes, despite how the rules are written, the call doesn't fo your way.  There's no talent involved in that outcome. 

You might be tempted to make that deal.  The team might even win.  But by year 8 you'd be sick of losing again.  Sick of last place finishes.  

I need to sleep.

Actually, 2006 being burned in my brain is the reason I have thousands of posts here.

I've been spurned enough by lack of perspective as a function of age recently to just solemnly nod at the rest of the post.

Please don't construe my previous post as lack of sympathy. My dad suffers from IBS, and it sucks. 

Hahaha no worries, and that's exactly my problem 

I feel for you.

I know one Leafs fan. One. He posted pictures of his new JT jersey, and then liked my status bitching out Botterill. I almost punched out my laptop.

Stay strong!

Between the JT signing and ROR trade this has been the worst off ice hockey day since black Sunday in 2007....without question. I've been so pumped for Dahlin (still am) but man, he hasn't even stepped on the ice yet and I'm losing the luster.

Between the JT signing and ROR trade this has been the worst off ice hockey day since black Sunday in 2007....without question. I've been so pumped for Dahlin (still am) but man, he hasn't even stepped on the ice yet and I'm losing the luster.

I just saw him on the ice yesterday. He looked good.

We already had a thread about it like a year ago. I just have to deal 

I had forgotten; the replies reminded me.  My apologies!  And hang in there.

Hard when all you interact with on a daily basis is arrogant leaf fans.

Remind them that they've been to the semis a/k/a conference finals what, once, in the last 50 years?  And how did that work out?

clearly the Leafs are NOW, and we are, well hopefully somewhere not too far down the road in the future. We gave away are arguably best player right now (OReilly) for yet more young pieces and drafting that guy (I forget his name ha ha) and adding all these draft picks is great for somewhere down the road but right now????  The Leafs now have a 2-3 year window with Johnny T to win then they are stuck with a huge contract. I hate the OReilly trade but it does get rid of a big contract that will become a bigger burden with time

Actually, 2006 being burned in my brain is the reason I have thousands of posts here.

I've been spurned enough by lack of perspective as a function of age recently to just solemnly nod at the rest of the post.

Hahaha no worries, and that's exactly my problem 

I was 23 once.  I thought that it was possible to have the perspective of a 45 year old at that age as well.  I was reasonably intelligent and figured I could read things that 45 year old people say and that would allow me to have the perspective I needed.

Now I am 45 and I know that was arrogance.  I could understand what 45 year-olds were saying, what I did not know, and what you cannot know, are the experiences that drive those statements.  It's not a slight at you, it's just what it is.

If you've never lost a parent you can't know what someone else who has is feeling.  You can understand what they say, you can sympathize with them, but you cannot empathize with them.  This is very much the same thing.

There are many things in my life that I still perceive the same way as I did at age 23.  There are also many things I perceive quite differently now at age 45.  It has everything to do with experience and very little to do with reading and understanding what I read.

I know there are some people on here who are older than I am who feel the same as you.  We're not all the same and we don't all react to shared experiences in the same way.  Just like some people who lose a parent may not be as upset as someone else.

I was 23 once. I thought that it was possible to have the perspective of a 45 year old at that age as well. I was reasonably intelligent and figured I could read things that 45 year old people say and that would allow me to have the perspective I needed.

Now I am 45 and I know that was arrogance. I could understand what 45 year-olds were saying, what I did not know, and what you cannot know, are the experiences that drive those statements. It's not a slight at you, it's just what it is.

If you've never lost a parent you can't know what someone else who has is feeling. You can understand what they say, you can sympathize with them, but you cannot empathize with them. This is very much the same thing.

There are many things in my life that I still perceive the same way as I did at age 23. There are also many things I perceive quite differently now at age 45. It has everything to do with experience and very little to do with reading and understanding what I read.

I know there are some people on here who are older than I am who feel the same as you. We're not all the same and we don't all react to shared experiences in the same way. Just like some people who lose a parent may not be as upset as someone else.

While I agree, sometimes getting older precludes us from saying screw it. Let's go for it and see what happens because of those experiences. So I’ve learned to appreciate the young aggressive wiz kids, I was one once. Often I figured out how make things work despite making mistakes. Again, that is why I try and keep an open mind about all perspectives and while jokingly have expressed my concerns about JBots. I realize all the analysis wont mean anything till we see it on the ice. Hoping the Sabres figure out a way to just go for it and not over analyze or be inflexible. I have my doubts but who the heck knows. Id like some definitiveness, but that maybe because Im getting older and in reality there is no such thing. Deep Thoughts though... :) Edited by North Buffalo

While I agree, sometimes getting older precludes us from saying screw it. Let's go for it and see what happens because of those experiences. So I’ve learned to appreciate the young aggressive wiz kids, I was one once. Often I figured out how make things work despite making mistakes. Again, that is why I try and keep an open mind about all perspectives and while jokingly have expressed my concerns about JBots. I realize all the analysis wont mean anything till we see it on the ice. Hoping the Sabres figure out a way to just go for it and not over analyze or be inflexible. I have my doubts but who the heck knows. Id like some definitiveness, but that maybe because Im getting older and in reality there is no such thing. Deep Thoughts though... :)

I appreciate view points of all. I appreciate the just go for it attitude.  Sometimes in life I get to that point, but not nearly as quickly as I used to. Like you, I recognize that I have changed from when I was 23. There's nothing Randall can do about that because he won't understand his life at 45 until he gets there. 

The path has to be walked to be understood.  It's true for all of us.  That said, it's certainly possible to be walking a path from 23 to 45 over the same years as I have and still end up at 45 as irritated about this situation as a 23 year old.  

Sure why not.

At this point if they don't make the ECF that city will burn to the ground. I know it's a small thing to take pleasure in out of all of this, but the expectations and pressure on that team will be insanely high

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.