2018 Free Agent Frenzy!

LGR4GM

Meh... Frankly I think it will handcuff them in the future.  They might have 2 good years and then they'll have to deal with salaries.

Perhaps Lou went to the Island to assure that Tavares signed with the Leafs?  Ooooooo sneaky.  Lou resigns tomorrow...  

Bozak and Van Reimsdyk combined for 47 goals and 50 assists last year at a cost of $9 million.

Tavares had 37 and 47 and will cost $11.

I take Tavares too, but the idea they got him for nothing is completely false.

Regardless, it is false to say the Leafs next year will be this year’s Leafs, plus Tavares.

I think they'll be better than last year. What say you?

Bozak is a JAG whose name no one would know if he didn't play in Toronto, but JVR is a real player. His loss means something.

I bet Johnsson replaces 80% of JVR, at least. As a rookie. They're fine.

I think they'll be better than last year. What say you?

I bet Johnsson replaces 80% of JVR, at least. As a rookie. They're fine.

Haven’t looked at all their changes, but I’d say they should be better just from their kids improving.

And Tavares is some pretty tasty icing.

How much do you love what Kyle Okposo and Matt Moulson have brought us?

How old is he? Matty Mo not so much... KO has had injury issues so we realky havent seen his best. Depends on what he is asking. Guy creats havoc... Still term demand bothers me so maybe no..

How old is he? Matty Mo not so much... KO has had injury issues so we realky havent seen his best. Depends on what he is asking. Guy creats havoc... Still term demand bothers me so maybe no..

Dude is 30. He'll be useful this year and maybe next. Longshot of production in year 3. Then he'll be totally worthless.

Bozak is a JAG whose name no one would know if he didn't play in Toronto, but JVR is a real player.  His loss means something.

They lost there only tough D man too. The rest meh on D.

Dude is 30. He'll be useful this year and maybe next. Longshot of production in year 3. Then he'll be totally worthless.

Ah didnt realize hewas that old... never mind..

Meh... Frankly I think it will handcuff them in the future.  They might have 2 good years and then they'll have to deal with salaries.

Perhaps Lou went to the Island to assure that Tavares signed with the Leafs?  Ooooooo sneaky.  Lou resigns tomorrow...  

I would give my kidney for 1 good year and I'm not even joking

And I'll give one of mine to replace yours if it buys us that second year :lol:

Really though, this notion that Toronto is in some kind of cap trouble is pretty much just wishful thinking. They still have $13.7 million in cap space this year ($19 million once the season starts and Horton is put on LTIR). Even after Nylander signs an Ehlers-like Contract, they'll have around $7 million (Almost $13 million with Horton on LTIR). Grundstrom, Liljegren, Johnsson, and Dermott are on ELCs or cheap bridge contracts for ~3 more years each, on average. Hainsey's $3 million is off the books after this season. Yes, they'll have to pay Marner and Matthews next year, but it's not hard to do with their situation. 

Lost in all of today’s other shenanigans: I still think I’m right in predicting Lehner winds up in Sweden or the KHL this coming season...

I mean, Cam ###### Ward got a $3 million contract...

Yet another blow to the "Stan Bowman knows what he's doing because Cups" line of thought. 

I ran 3 miles today with a heat index of 108, so I'm not in a position to call for somebody to go through a psychiatric evaluation. But if I were in such a position.... :P

Fair enough.  I wasn't sold on Babcock being the savior either.  He had to go meet with Matthews.  Just because the team is higher in the standings doesn't mean they won't come falling down. 

1 good year?  So, if I told you that the Sabres would make the playoffs next year but then having over-reached they would miss the playoffs for the next 6 years after that you would take that?

And I'll give one of mine to replace yours if it buys us that second year :lol:

Really though, this notion that Toronto is in some kind of cap trouble is pretty much just wishful thinking. They still have $13.7 million in cap space this year ($19 million once the season starts and Horton is put on LTIR). Even after Nylander signs an Ehlers-like Contract, they'll have around $7 million (Almost $13 million with Horton on LTIR). Grundstrom, Liljegren, Johnsson, and Dermott are on ELCs or cheap bridge contracts for ~3 more years each, on average. Hainsey's $3 million is off the books after this season. Yes, they'll have to pay Marner and Matthews next year, but it's not hard to do with their situation. 

Yep.. we'll see.  There's always a young player that Toronto will be able to give away to partner with a cap dump.  But it doesn't mean it leads to winning.  

In other thinking... I wonder which GMs have the Seattle expansion draft on their minds.  Some teams are going to be up against it to protect their players.

Fair enough.  I wasn't sold on Babcock being the savior either.  He had to go meet with Matthews.  Just because the team is higher in the standings doesn't mean they won't come falling down. 

1 good year?  So, if I told you that the Sabres would make the playoffs next year but then having over-reached they would miss the playoffs for the next 6 years after that you would take that?

Yep.. we'll see.  There's always a young player that Toronto will be able to give away to partner with a cap dump.  But it doesn't mean it leads to winning.  

In other thinking... I wonder which GMs have the Seattle expansion draft on their minds.  Some teams are going to be up against it to protect their players.

We just watched last place 3 of 5. I'm 23 and don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, my kidney should treat you well! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.