McKenzie:Lehner won’t be qualified

dudacek

Johnson isn't under contract either so I think it's fair to stop mentioning him.

And FWIW, Ward's numbers were essentially identical to Lehner's last year so I'm not sure what you are going for there. Ward would be cheaper.

It depends on what the Sabres are thinking. Do they want a solid #2 with the thought that it's Ullmark's job or do they want someone to compete with Ullmark right now. Given that they also have 2 2nd round picks in Johansson and UPL (plus whatever goalie they might draft tomorrow) in the system I think this is Ullmark's shot to take the job. He's had a couple solid years in Rochester, he's had a cup of coffee in the NHL, he's almost 25 years old, it's about time to see if he's the guy. If not now then really it's never for Ullmark. That leads me to the solid #2 area for goalies which brings Cam Ward into play as well as Carter Hutton and Anton Khudobin. There are several other guys out there for whom you could trade rather cheaply I'd suspect as well.

I'm not denying the Sabres plans. I just don't like going into a new season with 'ifs'. Ullmark is an 'if'. Nobody knows if he can handle the job, he choked down the stretch down in Rochester. Chad will leave so that leaves the Sabres with no backup.

As we saw last year, many team lost their starting goaltender for some time. Having a quit backup is key, and when your starter isn't even proven yet, that leaves a major hole in the lineup.

Lehner wasn't Vezina quality, but he held his own considering the putrid defense he had playing in front of him. Him and Nilsson managed to be a top half save percentage duo the year before. At this point, he is a better option than Ullmark, in my opinion.

Ullmark has had two concussions in two years. If he gets hurt, this team is screwed regardless of who they pick up in free agency. There is nobody available that I would put my future on.

Sorry, that's just the way I see it. Until you get a proven starter in the lineup, with a competent 3rd stringer in the minors, you don't go getting rid of your starter.

JJ, Lehner did not deserve the he took because of what Murray paid for him, nor the he took last year for not being able to win enough 2-1 games as the Sabres allowed 40 shots a night.

But this year he was bad, no two ways about it.

He was worse than just leaky, he was fragile, and the worst thing a fragile team can have is a fragile goalie.

He had three years to cement the position he was handed and he failed to do so.

He lost his team in the process and instead of gambling on him at a price of $4 million, it’s time to place our bets on someone else.

Edited by dudacek

Lehner was a major contributor to the room’s dysfunction, that’s addition by subtraction.

I'm going to guess with that whole psycho ufc personality of his no one would say boo to him if he got in a mood (including coaches). It's clear that JBot is going to attempt to fix the locker room, whatever it takes. Sad he couldn't get something/anything for him, but it is addition by subtraction for sure. 

JJ, Lehner did not deserve the ###### he took because of what Murray paid for him, nor the ###### he took last year for not being able to win enough 2-1 games as the Sabres allowed 40 shots a night.

But this year he was bad, no two ways about it.

He was worse than just leaky, he was fragile, and the worst thing a fragile team can have is a fragile goalie.

He had three years to cement the position he was handed and he failed to do so.

He lost his team in the process and instead of gambling on him at a price of $4 million, it’s time to place our bets on someone else.

And there we have it.

The first news to trend this team upwards.  Letting go of past mistakes, owning them and not trying to reap a reward from a sinking asset.  Lehner was at times good for Buffalo at others a complete headcase.  Good luck Robin!

Lehner was a major contributor to the room’s dysfunction, that’s addition by subtraction.

This is the real reason I want him gone. Ever since his comments about the league being against Buffalo Edited by WildCard

Jason Botterill confirms Robin Lehner‘s time with Sabres is over.

Per Vogl

From Sabres.com

"We've made a decision on Robin Lehner. It was a difficult decision. Robin is not coming back next year. We felt we had to make some adjustments."

Thank God

Leaner is bad. There’s really no other conclusion one may come to having actually watched him play every game on his Sabres tenure.

Looking at his stats from two years ago as opposed to last year is a nonsense. Under Disco’s “Let’s give the puck away constantly but make up for it by enticing the opponent to take low-percentage shots” regime, his numbers were highly inflated. His shootout incompetence and penchant for coming up small in big moments over and over and over... not a coincidence. So when Housley and his “I know you guys suck but let’s play hockey anyway” exposed him further, the results were predictable.

Good luck in the KHL this coming season, Robin.

He’s the only goalie I have ever seen that is so bad on shootouts. I knew if we got to the shootouts and he was in net we were definitely losing. Someone will take a chance on him.

Hamilton said today that Lehner once refused to do a shootout after a 3v3 scrimmage in practice, and that Housley looked flummoxed. 

He said Lehner didn't like practicing them because they got in his head.

Never seen a goalie so bad at shootouts. Absolutely terrible.

I mean, it's the smart choice.

I bet it's Chad Johnson :P

I'm not pretending to be exact with my valuation here, but rank these moves in order of preference: 

1.) Signing Bernier

2.) Signing Hutton

3.) Signing one of Ward/Lack/Halak/Lehtonen (who)

4.) Trading a 3rd/4th for Craig Anderson

5.) Trading SJ's first and Baptiste for Holtby

6.) Trading a non-major prospect and 32 for Grubauer

7.) Trading 32 for Aaron Dell 

I'm not pretending to be exact with my valuation here, but rank these moves in order of preference: 

1.) Signing Bernier

2.) Signing Hutton

3.) Signing one of Ward/Lack/Halak/Lehtonen (who)

4.) Trading a 3rd/4th for Craig Anderson

5.) Trading SJ's first and Baptiste for Holtby

6.) Trading a non-major prospect and 32 for Grubauer

7.) Trading 32 for Aaron Dell 

I could easily see trading 32 for a goalie. That's a move that I could see happen way before anything else does. 

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I saw somewhere that statistically Lehner was the worst goalie in shootout history. That and his inability to cover the short side post consistently is enough for me to be happy we're moving on.

In today's game goalies are a bit of a commodity. It's mostly positioning. There are a few guys with superior athleticism, but mostly you're in the correct spot when you're supposed to be and the puck just hits you. I think we can easily find a guy equal to Lehner for cheaper.

Also, everyone knows the chemistry of the team needs to change, so this helps in that regard.

I saw that "number two" quote, but I also watched the video and he didn't say that. 

It was more he said Ullmark needs to show he could be number one, with the implication that someone else would be brought in that Ullmark would have to beat.

Semantics maybe, but to me there's distinction.

I think there is a decent chance of Jake Allen as well, and Kris Baker brought up Thomas Greiss as an "undervalued guy who was hung out to dry last year."

Don't want to trade SJ1 or 32 for a goalie other than Holtby, which isn't happening IMO.

Ward, Halak, Lack and Lehtonen pose no challenge for Ullmark, IMO.

Also, all of them are worse than Lehner.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.