McKenzie:Lehner won’t be qualified

dudacek

So anyways, re: goalies.

If we''re parting with Lehner, does that mean we''re signing Chad Johnson?

There's a lot of potential UFA goalies that statistically look better than Lehner. Hutton, Halak, Khudobin, Pavelec. Those guys are all 30-33, meaning we could ride them for a year and let Ullmark develop.

No to CJ. Yes to a decent goalie. Edited by GASabresIUFAN

So are the Fasching trade and non tender to Lehner the final nails in TM’s worst two trades?

We still are praying Hickey can salvage something out of the Fasching trade and LA has nothing to show for it yet either.

The Lehner trade is dead. White has played some in the NHL and we have nothing to show for it.

Sure buddy, that's it. 

You: "Lehner has a career save percentage of .915. He's not nearly as bad as you all want him to be. He finished in the top 10 in 2016-17. "

WC: "I mean clearly he is, because Ottawa got rid of him, and we just let him walk."

Me: "Nobody would even trade for him.  

I said this on the previous page, please debunk with more than career save percentage: 

"Lehner's numbers tanked despite team shots, chances, high danger chances all going down from the previous year, some by a significant amount (we were top 6 in the league in shot attempts against this season and in the top half in scoring chances allowed). Lehner talks about conspiracy theories instead of understanding that he needs to be better. Lehner consistently loses focus and allows inopportune goals at the most critical moments. He's dreadful and the team is right to move on." "

You: 

"You guys take this ###### way too seriously.

I feel bad for you, with Lehner gone, you're going to have to find another whipping boy to gang up on."

This happened, in this order. Am I missing something?

The first two responses are not personal and deal solely with the claim being made and not with the poster.

You followed with the bold.

Edited by Randall Flagg

You: "Lehner has a career save percentage of .915. He's not nearly as bad as you all want him to be. He finished in the top 10 in 2016-17. "

WC: "I mean clearly he is, because Ottawa got rid of him, and we just let him walk."

Me: "Nobody would even trade for him.  

I said this on the previous page, please debunk with more than career save percentage: 

"Lehner's numbers tanked despite team shots, chances, high danger chances all going down from the previous year, some by a significant amount (we were top 6 in the league in shot attempts against this season and in the top half in scoring chances allowed). Lehner talks about conspiracy theories instead of understanding that he needs to be better. Lehner consistently loses focus and allows inopportune goals at the most critical moments. He's dreadful and the team is right to move on." "

You: 

"You guys take this ###### way too seriously.

I feel bad for you, with Lehner gone, you're going to have to find another whipping boy to gang up on."

This happened, in this order. Am I missing something?

The first two responses are not personal and deal solely with the claim being made and not with the poster.

You followed with the bold.

That is what I call check and mate.  LOL

That is truly rich, but I will let it go right here.

Anywho, WC, I'm not sure I want Grubauer. We've been warned of goalies coming from that goalie coach, no?

Not sure, who's their goalie coach?

I mean, Washington is 100% letting one of them go. They have Samsonov finally coming over I believe 

Not sure, who's their goalie coach?

I mean, Washington is 100% letting one of them go. They have Samsonov finally coming over I believe 

Mitch Korn is his name. I have little to offer other than that sentiment I've heard from many different places, going back to his days with Vokoun and Rinne in Nashville. 

I've also heard incredibly vague musings from fans about Grubauer basically being another batch of unknown just like Lehner, Talbot were. Not a bad thing, but one should know the inherent risk coming with the move.

Bernier for 2 years @ $2.5M per would be a good complement to Ullmark.  Let them fight it out for playing time. 

Then take a flier on another veteran who can battle for playing time in Rochester.  Like Christopher Gibson or Scott Wedgewood. 

Edited by Sakman

That is truly rich, but I will let it go right here.

Anywho, WC, I'm not sure I want Grubauer. We've been warned of goalies coming from that goalie coach, no?

I'm absolutely terrified of taking someone else's multi-year backup and trying to make him a starter.  Granted I've got Scott Darling fresh on the mind, but I feel like it fails more often than not.  It's a position that I think you need to develop on your own most of the time.  Fortunately we have a guy in house who fits that role right now.  You do need a guy for a platoon setup, so maybe that is a better spot for converting someone else's backup, but I'm not so crazy about giving up much of anything to fill that spot.

I'm absolutely terrified of taking someone else's multi-year backup and trying to make him a starter. Granted I've got Scott Darling fresh on the mind, but I feel like it fails more often than not. It's a position that I think you need to develop on your own most of the time. Fortunately we have a guy in house who fits that role right now. You do need a guy for a platoon setup, so maybe that is a better spot for converting someone else's backup, but I'm not so crazy about giving up much of anything to fill that spot.

I'm with you. I'm a big fan of developing goalies, not trading for them.

Vogl in the Athletic today:

The​ Buffalo Sabres​ love Linus​ Ullmark.​ They’re​ going​ to​ give the​ 24-year-old every opportunity to​ blossom into a starting​​ NHL goaltender. But they also know it could take some time, so they’re searching for a No. 1 netminder.

[botteril said:]  "We think Linus is ready for the next challenge here, but to hand over the No. 1 role, I think that’s unfair to any young goalie.”

Lehner has a career save percentage of .915. He's not nearly as bad as you all want him to be. He finished in the top 10 in 2016-17. 

His SV% is one stat.  His mental breakdowns are a bigger issue.

You guys take this ###### way too seriously.

I feel bad for you, with Lehner gone, you're going to have to find another whipping boy to gang up on. 

Anyone who thinks he's the ONLY problem would be mistaken.  So the whipping boys are there.  He's just one of them, who's no longer there.

I don't understand how anyone can still be advocating for Lehner. He's a horrible goalie. I don't care that he can stop a lot of low risk shots, so can any other goalie. Lehner consistently let in short-side softies and I've never seen another goaltender bite so hard on a first deke and get so sprawled out of position and burned so often. Then there's the shootouts. Anyone whose watched him play can tell you his stats are meaningless.

Not to mention the locker room presence, blaming Toronto for fixing games against Buffalo, I recall a Karlsson quote after Lehner got traded saying "it's nice that guys can finally relax around here" . The guy is a fragile headcase. He also once wore a helmet with Trumps name on the back so he can go get . Good riddance.

JJ, Lehner did not deserve the ###### he took because of what Murray paid for him, nor the ###### he took last year for not being able to win enough 2-1 games as the Sabres allowed 40 shots a night.

But this year he was bad, no two ways about it.

He was worse than just leaky, he was fragile, and the worst thing a fragile team can have is a fragile goalie.

He had three years to cement the position he was handed and he failed to do so.

He lost his team in the process and instead of gambling on him at a price of $4 million, it’s time to place our bets on someone else.

To paraphrase LBJ during Vietnam, if Lehner's lost Dudacek, he's lost the country.

Anderson would be a good goaltender for Buffalo. I recall reading a stat that he has the highest win percentage in NHL history when facing 40+ shots.

Shame Buffalo allowed 32.4 shots against per game last year, that'll only be good for a few wins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.