Trade: Hudson Fasching to Arizona for DMan Brandon Hickey/ AHL Forward Mike Sislo

Brawndo

Is anybody else confused with the favyb that analytic whiz kid Chayka wants sloe and underperforming Fasching, especially as the league trends towards speed?

I'd be surprised if speed had any meaningful correlation to stats. For example, O'Reilly and Reinhart. And Fasching isn't slow, though I certainly won't argue the performance point.

Anyway, it was probably the best asset he could get for a player who wasn't going to sign with his team.

The Sabres acquired Fasching when the heavy LA Kings style of hockey was en vogue.  That gave way in recent years to a faster game involving speedier players that has left teams like LA behind (which is why their GM was canned because he was unwilling to change.)

To get a young Dman like Hickey along with an extra piece that can help the Amerks is a win-win for a guy that Bot's probably wasn't going to qualify anyways.

My only issue is that doesn't keep me from wanting them to acquire a Dougie Hamilton or Karlsson still.  Adding one of those two along with Risto and Dahlin would be pure gold.

The Sabres acquired Fasching when the heavy LA Kings style of hockey was en vogue.  That gave way in recent years to a faster game involving speedier players that has left teams like LA behind (which is why their GM was canned because he was unwilling to change.)

To get a young Dman like Hickey along with an extra piece that can help the Amerks is a win-win for a guy that Bot's probably wasn't going to qualify anyways.

My only issue is that doesn't keep me from wanting them to acquire a Dougie Hamilton or Karlsson still.  Adding one of those two along with Risto and Dahlin would be pure gold.

We still need one more top 4 D, but between Guhle, Borgen, Pilut and now Hickey, we have the guys who, if they develop properly can ultimately replace Bogo, Scandella and maybe even McCabe as their contract end over the next two years.

Another step in the right direction.  More D depth never hurt anyone.  I think it's now pretty clear, if it wasn't before, that some of the guys on the NHL depth chart won't be here much longer.  McCabe, Baloo, Bogo and even Nelson must be looking over their shoulders at Pilut, Guhle and maybe even Hickey and Borgen.

What is interesting is how young the D has gotten over night, but young at the right age 21-25.  

Dahlin - 18 (just turned 18)

Guhle - 21 (in July)

Hickey - 22 (just turned 22, shares same B-Day with Dahlin 4/13)

Borgen - 21

Pilut - 22

Ristolainen - 23

McCabe - 24

Nelson - 25 (almost 26)

Beaulieu - 25

This is what is meant by building from the farm team up.  Now the Sabres don't have to worry if one or two targeted prospects don't develop.  We basically have 5 viable prospects in the system (the first five in your young D list).  Two are NHL ready or close to it (Dahlin and Guhle) but the other three could make the jump as well, and they will all be competing to stay with big club or get promoted if and when injuries occur.  We don't need all those guys to blossom, just one or two, and that will provide the needed depth.  And JBot added three to the pool by giving up almost nothing (one offensive prospect that hasn't hit yet and probably wouldn't fit the team system if he did).

Edited by Doohickie

OK, so Hickey is a defenseman who just graduated (let's hope!) from BU after playing what looks like 4 years in a full-time role, presumably top-3 D or higher, for a very good college program (I found it kinda interesting that he's from Edmonton but decided to play NCAA hockey, btw). He is 6'2", 201 and turned 22 two months ago. He was named team captain for his senior year and made honorable mention all-conference in a very good conference.

This is a year old and is Flames official site propaganda, but still somewhat worthwhile IMHO: https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-top-prospects---brandon-hickey/c-289877112

And here's Dobberhockey (a good fantasy hockey site) on Hickey: https://dobberprospects.com/brandon-hickey-2-2

He looks like another young guy who can skate and has potentially a good 2-way game who is here to fight for a spot in the D rotation.

If they sign him, even if he later washes out, that's as much as you could reasonably ask for in return for Fasching at this point.

OTOH, if Fasching turns into another Taylor Pyatt, GoDD may re-enlist under a fake name.

Scandella comes to mind more then Brodie does when reading those reports. And that’s okay- those Calgary writers probably should have pumped the brakes on Brodie comparisons haha.

If Hickey turns into a nice #4 or #5 defender, I’m estacic about the return. I used to really like Fasching. Hell, my first post on this forum might have been about Hudson when I used to follow his college career. And his high-five line down the bench after his first goal is still one of my favorite Sabres pictures.

But we have a log jam of underwhelming RW that need to prove it this year. And he has inspired the least confidence that he will prove it.

I guess a better way to put it is didn't we just trade for his rights?

Basically yes, though I think the appeal for the player is that he wouldn't be a FA until August, not July 1st. He probably wanted to be signed before then just out of personal preference.

My thought is that perhaps this is a guy Botterill was targeting as a free agent but found out he was getting a lot of interest and decided to see if trading for his rights was something Arizona and the player were both interested in.

Sounds like a deal got made that worked for all parties involved. Hickey gets to sign early, AZ gets something for a FA they weren't going to sign, and Botterill gets a guy he was targeting.

don’t think even Liger would bite on that one.

nope

Basically yes, though I think the appeal for the player is that he wouldn't be a FA until August, not July 1st. He probably wanted to be signed before then just out of personal preference.

My thought is that perhaps this is a guy Botterill was targeting as a free agent but found out he was getting a lot of interest and decided to see if trading for his rights was something Arizona and the player were both interested in.

Sounds like a deal got made that worked for all parties involved. Hickey gets to sign early, AZ gets something for a FA they weren't going to sign, and Botterill gets a guy he was targeting.

Didn't our assistant GM recruit this guy to BU?

If Arizona drafted him, and he graduated from the NCAA this year, I thought he became a free agent on July 1st. Did we have to trade for him? Couldn't we have just picked him up then?

What am I missing?

We gave up a guy that had no future with the team for a guy that might. All indications on social media is that he is signing with the Sabres.

Sislo might be in the plans for Rochester, but I’d say he’s more likely just a contract Arizona demanded we take to match the one they were taking on. A 30-year-old minor league journeyman middle-sixer.

Taking a contract, as in the league max? (Not money, right?)

The guy had 40-something points in 60-something games in the A last season -- that's someone who will help Roch.

We gave up a guy that had no future with the team for a guy that might. All indications on social media is that he is signing with the Sabres.

Really well-put. 

JBOT reminds me of Beane in that his deals and moves seem focused on roster structure, value, and the like. They're well-informed by a business rationale.

Of course, you have to evaluate talent effectively as well. But I think it's a good sign that the deals often seem "smart" -- maybe even shrewd.

It’s really not too much different than Murray trading a third-rounder for Vesey.

But no one will pay too much attention because it’s not Vesey.

And if they do notice, they will forget in a hurry because the Sabres will sign him.

And if they do, no one will remember that he turned down Calgary and Arizona and UFA status to come to Buffalo.

Because Buffalo.

Taking a contract, as in the league max? (Not money, right?)

The guy had 40-something points in 60-something games in the A last season -- that's someone who will help Roch.

Yep. I was talking the 50 contract limit.

Although the more I looked into Sislo, it seems like he’s a pretty well-respected AHL vet -the type they may want to help in Rochester.

Edited by dudacek

It would be fun to look back at all the people who posted here defending and supporting Tim Murray for his great trades. He was an abject failure as a GM. However, I would guess over 90% of the posters here supported him.

I was a supporter and still am. He swung for the fences a little too often and missed on a couple trades. I don't fault the effort. You can win every trade like Darcy and never build a great team.

It would be fun to look back at all the people who posted here defending and supporting Tim Murray for his great trades. He was an abject failure as a GM. However, I would guess over 90% of the posters here supported him.

Sort of a weird take.

My recollection: There was a combination of excitement and trepidation surrounding a guy who seemed to be taking a ZFG approach to a rapid rebuild.

In a physical expression, I am thinking of eyes widened, eyebrows arched, teeth gritted, and a breath being taken in through those teeth.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.