Trade: Hudson Fasching to Arizona for DMan Brandon Hickey/ AHL Forward Mike Sislo

Brawndo

To be fair, the Kings don't have anything left from the trade. One of the 2nd round picks is still buried in the AHL, the other isn't even with the organization any more. And Jonathan Parker has played for 7 different teams in the ECHL. in 3 years. In fact he's retired. 

They do have whoever Vegas would have taken instead of McNabb. So there is that. 

I really liked Hudson as a prospect, mostly the way he worked the boards.

I envisioned him growing into a heavy LA style 15/15 guy.

But that was in another GMs system and the way he finished the year made this inevitable.

Hope he can find a niche elsewhere, seemed like a great kid.

I am one with that assessment, that assessment is with me. Good luck, Fasching!

Welcome to the Sabres - Hickey, Sislo.

To be fair, the Kings don't have anything left from the trade. One of the 2nd round picks is still buried in the AHL, the other isn't even with the organization any more. And Jonathan Parker has played for 7 different teams in the ECHL. in 3 years. In fact he's retired. 

Yes. Uninteresting trade in hindsight. I guess we were able to tank better with D-Lo than with McNabb? That's... something.

O'Regan - Eichel - Sislo

Hickey - Ristolainen

Our starting lineup in the 2019 Eastern Conference quarterfinals!

They do have whoever Vegas would have taken instead of McNabb. So there is that. 

Good stuff here boys.  I'd also point out that GMTM gave away, for it turns out almost nothing in return, a guy who easily would've played 3 years as a top-6 D for the Sabres and perhaps much more.

O'Regan - Eichel - Sislo

Hickey - Ristolainen

Now that is some fine Sabres message board wit right there.

At the time I didn't mind the McNabb trade, well I thought 2 2nd round picks seemed a bit much.

But I thought Deslauriers and Fasching both would become bottom 6 guys and we had McCabe who seemed better to me.

If we had stayed heavy GMTM-style last season I think Deslauriers and Fasching both on the fourth --- and no better in the standings that we were. I had higher hopes for Fasching, but alas always in motion the future is.

Good stuff here boys.  I'd also point out that GMTM gave away, for it turns out almost nothing in return, a guy who easily would've played 3 years as a top-6 D for the Sabres and perhaps much more.

McNabb isn't ever going to wow anyone, but with Vegas he showed he's grown into a full-time NHL role and can handle top-4 minutes and the tough assignments. Good on him.

See no one believed me when I said would were going to sign Hickey.  Once signed he'll be another Rochester D.

Dahlin, Pilut Borgen Guhle and now Hickey.

Looks like somebody saw an organizational need and addressed it.

Also looks like Arizona is well aware of Fasching’s waiver status and expects him to be a 4th-liner on a very sickly looking RW depth chart.

OK, so Hickey is a defenseman who just graduated (let's hope!) from BU after playing what looks like 4 years in a full-time role, presumably top-3 D or higher, for a very good college program (I found it kinda interesting that he's from Edmonton but decided to play NCAA hockey, btw).  He is 6'2", 201 and turned 22 two months ago.  He was named team captain for his senior year and made honorable mention all-conference in a very good conference.

This is a year old and is Flames official site propaganda, but still somewhat worthwhile IMHO:  https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-top-prospects---brandon-hickey/c-289877112

Watching Brandon Hickey, it is very easy to draw comparisons to another Flames draft pick: TJ Brodie.

Like Brodie, Hickey is a smooth skating, two-way rearguard that is responsible in his own end but has no issues with leaping into the rush and getting shots to the net. While not overly physical, Hickey's positioning, gap control and stick work are noteworthy - just like Brodie.

And here's Dobberhockey (a good fantasy hockey site) on Hickey:  https://dobberprospects.com/brandon-hickey-2-2

Nov 2016: Hickey has played with quite a few talented prospects in his time with Boston university. This season is no exception (Keller, Bellows, Fabbro, McAvoy, Greenway, etc). Do not judge him purely from stats alone. He still remains a strong skater and a fantastic two-way player. His fantasy value remains from his potential to still be a Top-4 NHL Dman one day. – Joel Henderson

He looks like another young guy who can skate and has potentially a good 2-way game who is here to fight for a spot in the D rotation.

If they sign him, even if he later washes out, that's as much as you could reasonably ask for in return for Fasching at this point.

OTOH, if Fasching turns into another Taylor Pyatt, GoDD may re-enlist under a fake name.

Dahlin, Pilut Borgen Guhle and now Hickey.

Looks like somebody saw an organizational need and addressed it.

Also looks like Arizona is well aware of Fasching’s waiver status and expects him to be a 4th-liner on a very sickly looking RW depth chart.

Another step in the right direction.  More D depth never hurt anyone.  I think it's now pretty clear, if it wasn't before, that some of the guys on the NHL depth chart won't be here much longer.  McCabe, Baloo, Bogo and even Nelson must be looking over their shoulders at Pilut, Guhle and maybe even Hickey and Borgen.

What is interesting is how young the D has gotten over night, but young at the right age 21-25.  

Dahlin - 18 (just turned 18)

Guhle - 21 (in July)

Hickey - 22 (just turned 22, shares same B-Day with Dahlin 4/13)

Borgen - 21

Pilut - 22

Ristolainen - 23

McCabe - 24

Nelson - 25 (almost 26)

Beaulieu - 25

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.