Trade: Hudson Fasching to Arizona for DMan Brandon Hickey/ AHL Forward Mike Sislo

Brawndo

He played on his offhand all year in Sweden.

I think it’s a little overrated as an issue. I think most guys have a preference, but some don’t and most don’t consider it a life and death issue. The handedness thing has only been gospel in the NHL the past 10 years or so.

Used to be nobody cared too much.

Hell, the classic Soviet teams had everybody shoot left.

Edited by dudacek

I think it’s a little overrated as an issue. I think most guys have a preference, but some don’t and most don’t consider it a life and death issue. The handedness thing has only been gospel in the NHL the past 10 years or so.

But as you say, it’s gospel now. Therefore it’s likely he plays the left, regardless of the way teams used to be aligned (rightly or wrongly).

If the question is where will he play, rather than where he should he play, I don’t see how the way teams are built nowadays wouldn’t factor it mightily to the original question, of why Dahlin’s preference might not be the greatest indicator for where he’ll play.

Especially when, as you said, preference isn’t a life and death issue.

Edited by Thorny

word.

This is where I'm at.  Where XGMTM failed was in being too generous with cap money and ending up with too many useless, toxic contracts.

Murray over-valued the players he had and the same thing is going on here at sabrespace. Murray was convinced everything was going to fall into place with Kane getting healthy and being what he was supposed to be, Jack was going to be league leading, Lehner was going to be a top notch goalie etc etc so he dumped cash at anybody who'd take it. Just dumb all over.

Everything I see from JBot involves a slow and steady restructuring of this team, the end product should be young and fast with D depth rather than a bare cupboard. Nothing so far tells me it's the wrong way to go, BUT I do think this is a method that will take a long time to come together. It might happen sooner, but likely this is a good playoff team in 2, 3 maybe even 4 years, but not for a while.

Making Hickey another addition to the depth pool, and increasing the odds that some of that depth will become NHL material.

Yes, I do like the direction they are going here. Can never have enough defenseman.

Murray over-valued the players he had and the same thing is going on here at sabrespace. Murray was convinced everything was going to fall into place with Kane getting healthy and being what he was supposed to be, Jack was going to be league leading, Lehner was going to be a top notch goalie etc etc so he dumped cash at anybody who'd take it. Just dumb all over.

Everything I see from JBot involves a slow and steady restructuring of this team, the end product should be young and fast with D depth rather than a bare cupboard. Nothing so far tells me it's the wrong way to go, BUT I do think this is a method that will take a long time to come together. It might happen sooner, but likely this is a good playoff team in 2, 3 maybe even 4 years, but not for a while.

Yes, it will take time, our team is so young. We should be patient with them. Rome was not build in a day.

This is a good take.

There’s perhaps this fundamental difference between FGMTM and JBOT: FGMTM thought he *knew* who could get it done and he went and got them; JBOT wants to bring in several candidates and see who can win the job(s). Maybe the difference between trusting your own judgment and trusting a process (!!!) of competition?

Yes, I do like the direction they are going here. Can never have enough defenseman.

Yes, it will take time, our team is so young. We should be patient with them. Rome was not build in a day.

Jesus, this sounds like Darcy all over again. I guess we just have to wait for our new core to mature. :wallbash:

Jesus, this sounds like Darcy all over again. I guess we just have to wait for our new core to mature. :wallbash:

Don't worry. They should be ready to compete when Dahlin and Mittelstadt are in their primes. Of course then we'll need to ship out Reinhart because he'll be creeping up on 30.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, so Hickey is a defenseman who just graduated (let's hope!) from BU after playing what looks like 4 years in a full-time role, presumably top-3 D or higher, for a very good college program (I found it kinda interesting that he's from Edmonton but decided to play NCAA hockey, btw).  He is 6'2", 201 and turned 22 two months ago.  He was named team captain for his senior year and made honorable mention all-conference in a very good conference.

This is a year old and is Flames official site propaganda, but still somewhat worthwhile IMHO:  https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/flames-top-prospects---brandon-hickey/c-289877112

And here's Dobberhockey (a good fantasy hockey site) on Hickey:  https://dobberprospects.com/brandon-hickey-2-2

He looks like another young guy who can skate and has potentially a good 2-way game who is here to fight for a spot in the D rotation.

If they sign him, even if he later washes out, that's as much as you could reasonably ask for in return for Fasching at this point.

OTOH, if Fasching turns into another Taylor Pyatt, GoDD may re-enlist under a fake name.

Nice summary! Glad we have him for awhile. Does this mean we just have him for two years, or will he be RFA?

On 6/14/2018 at 6:52 PM, Brawndo said:

The #Sabres also acquired Mike Sislo in the deal, who scored 47 points in 68 games with the Tucson Roadrunners [AHL] this season @WKBW

Per Matt Bove

This seemed to be under the radar but Sislo was a UFA and has signed with the Islanders. Pretty odd to trade the rights of a UFA?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.