Trade: Hudson Fasching to Arizona for DMan Brandon Hickey/ AHL Forward Mike Sislo

Brawndo

I was a supporter and still am. He swung for the fences a little too often and missed on a couple trades. I don't fault the effort. You can win every trade like Darcy and never build a great team.

This is where I'm at.  Where XGMTM failed was in being too generous with cap money and ending up with too many useless, toxic contracts.

Another step in the right direction.  More D depth never hurt anyone.  I think it's now pretty clear, if it wasn't before, that some of the guys on the NHL depth chart won't be here much longer.  McCabe, Baloo, Bogo and even Nelson must be looking over their shoulders at Pilut, Guhle and maybe even Hickey and Borgen.

What is interesting is how young the D has gotten over night, but young at the right age 21-25.  

Dahlin - 18 (just turned 18)

Guhle - 21 (in July)

Hickey - 22 (just turned 22, shares same B-Day with Dahlin 4/13)

Borgen - 21

Pilut - 22

Ristolainen - 23

McCabe - 24

Nelson - 25 (almost 26)

Beaulieu - 25

The rumour mill focuses on the big fish like Ristolainen, but I would not be surprised if McCabe (young, cheap, upside) and Guhle (intriguing prospect) are part of trade discussions as being desirable to other teams.

Also Beaulieu (off-ice issues, on-ice play) because the Sabres don't want him any more.

Edited by dudacek

So we potentially have:

LHD - RHD

Dahlin - Risto

Scandella - Bogo

McCabe - Nelson

Baloo -

Guhle -

Pilut -

Hickey -

JBotts seems cerebral enough to fix the overload of LHD and shortage of RHD. Blow-u and McCabe seem like prime candidates to alleviate the issue, not that I want to move McCabe.

Per Nick Filipowski

Just got done chatting with Brandon Hickey’s agent.

Tells me “things are trending in the right direction” in terms of contract discussions.

Hickey was acquired Thurs in trade with #Coyotes

#Sabres @news4buffalo

More from Botterill

The Sabres can't sign newly acquired college free agent Brandon Hickey until July 1. He must be signed before Aug 15 or he becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Botterill said they're excited about the speed that Hickey brings to the game and that he will be at development camp in a few weeks. All he would say is he feels comfortable that they can get a contract done with him once July 1 rolls around.

Hickey vs Borgen

Borgen 21 (Turns 22 in Dec)

3 years @ St Cloud St

5g 36a for 41pts in 106 games +30

6'2" 199 RHD

Notes: 3a in 7 games with USA WJC-20 (2015-16 - Bronze Medal), Best defensive D (NCHC) 2017-18. Named to US Olympic Team but did not play.

Hickey 22 (Turned 22 in April)

4 years @ BU

21g 33a 54 tps in 147 games + 21

6'2" 180 lbs  LHD

Notes: 0pts in 5 games with Team Canada WJC-20 (2015-16), Scored 2a in 4 games with Team Canada Spengler Cup (2017-18- Champions) 

So we potentially have:

LHD - RHD

Dahlin - Risto

Scandella - Bogo

McCabe - Nelson

Baloo -

Guhle -

Pilut -

Hickey -

Add another.

Botterill told PHam that Antipin has not signed in the KHL and wants toplay in North America.

Also said they were intending to qualify Fasching, but were willing to move him because of the depth on the wing.

Edited by dudacek

Add another.

Botterill told PHam that Antipin has not signed in the KHL and wants toplay in North America.

Also said they were intending to qualify Fasching, but were willing to move him because of the depth on the wing.

I would like to see Antipin with an offseason in America to his credit, (or in AHL time to play more minutes). Maybe not on the Sabres, but I'd like to see what he can do when he's comfortable in a situation.

As to the Fasching statement... I can see qualifying, and I can see Fasching failing to supplant anyone last season... but I don't see "depth" on either wing.

I would like to see Antipin with an offseason in America to his credit, (or in AHL time to play more minutes). Maybe not on the Sabres, but I'd like to see what he can do when he's comfortable in a situation.

As to the Fasching statement... I can see qualifying, and I can see Fasching failing to supplant anyone last season... but I don't see "depth" on either wing.

He was talking RW and he specifically mentioned Baptiste, Bailey, O’Regan and Oglevie.

And to follow up more on defence, he also mentioned Casey Fitzgerald (and Guhle and Pilut) as the group Hickey has been added to — smooth-skating defencemen they want to develop.

Edited by dudacek

And to follow up more on defence, he also mentioned Casey Fitzgerald (and Guhle and Pilut) as the group Hickey has been added to — smooth-skating defencemen they want to develop.

I like that idea. Stockpile the defenses and let them sort it out (and have the Amerks with a strong defense as well). I want to make one amendment to my above statement. I'd like to see Antipin with his full year in America and see what he can do in the NHL, but I don't care whether it's with the Sabres or Amerks.

Per the RWs...  meh. Reinhart, hopefully a revitalized Okposo. Are these guys going to be locks and steady as 3rd/4th at the level we need them to be to be Cup contenders?

Who needs RHD when we have LHD!

I know Botterill only likes College guys (and players from overseas) but I didn’t think he was attempting to exclusively acquire Jack’s former teammates at BU.

At this point I’d be happy to see him go get a Matt Laperriere, RHD from the Q, just to confirm he’s keeping his options open.

I tried to downplay Botterill’s comments that he’d be counting on Bogosian to shore up the D this coming season (on the right side), and it’s a long offseason that’s just gotten started, but I’m already nervous.

Edited by Thorny

Who needs RHD when we have LHD!

Dahlin

Scandella

Guhle

Beaulieu

Hickey

Pilut

Falk

- - -

Ristolainen

Nelson

I know Botterill only likes College guys (and players from overseas) but I didn’t think he was attempting to exclusively acquire Jack’s former teammates at BU.

At this point I’d be happy to see him go get a Matt Laperriere, RHD from the Q, just to confirm he’s keeping his options open.

Absolutely! You put the offensive LHD on the right side and you put the defensive LHD on the left. It's pretty simple.

Absolutely! You put the offensive LHD on the right side and you put the defensive LHD on the left. It's pretty simple.

Yet no one really does that.

The guy on the right still has to play defence, and it’s much harder to do on your offhand.

Edited by Thorny

Why is everybody discounting the fact Dahlin prefers the right?

It’s so rare for a top level D to play on his offhand that I see it as more likely he ends up playing the left, regardless of the fact he has a current right side preference. It’s not like he hasn’t played on the left at all.

Even if Dahlin lines up on the right, there’s a drastic LHD/RHD imbalance that Botterill will need to rectify.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.