Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

Marchand tracks down Eller, and gets in a couple of hard rights. This apparently arose from some taunting that occurred. 

One thing that's weird in this clip is how no one says a thing from about the :13 mark to about 1:02. Just silence. Could this possibly be a policy decision by NBC not to glamorize these kinds of incidents? 

Edited by That Aud Smell
  • Like (+1) 1

It was the bye-bye wave that done it.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

... punching people for taunting? what a baby. 

I don't disagree. But if you're getting blown the eff out on opening night, there is some precedent in the game for doing something like this at the end of the game to rouse your teammates. Eller's taunt seemed to have given Marchand the excuse he needed.

2 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

It was the bye-bye wave that done it.

I don't disagree. But if you're getting blown the eff out on opening night, there is some precedent in the game for doing something like this at the end of the game to rouse your teammates. Eller's taunt seemed to have given Marchand the excuse he needed.

Sure but Marchand is a baby. He dishes it out but can't take it (taunting). I guess at least he is willing to back up his taunting with fists so there's that. 

15 hours ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Here's the problem I see. Wilson gets 20, well deserved. If a kid in a 14u game does that know how many games he gets? 0. He gets a 2 and a 10 and that's it. Sure, if you accumulate enough minutes over a year you get supplemental discipline, 1 game. You can hit someone like that every other game and never get a suspension at all. Where do we think the Tom Wilson's of the world come from? There are entire youth organizations that pride themselves on being dirty. They flaunt it. I see it at 12u, I saw it at 10u. Nothing happens to the kids or their teams or their parents. Hence they grow up into tom wilsons.

4 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Come watch a game in Philadelphia, any time.  Biggest suspension I have ever seen handed out to a kid is 6 games and that was for fighting.

USA Hockey rules dictate that in a play like that the player would be assessed a match penalty.  A player receiving a match penalty is suspended indefinitely pending a hearing with the appropriate local governing body (within 30 calendar days) to review the incident and decide on an appropriate punishment.

Officials not making that call would be the one's to blame. Coaches who coach it and parents who accept it are also part of the problem, but their defense will be that other teams are going to do that, so we have to do it. If the officials make the call, that stops immediately.

The 2 and 10 situation adds to the aggressive play policy and accumulating 5 of those in a season leads to a 1 game suspension.  However, receiving another 1 after the suspension will result in another suspension.

Edited by LTS
minor clarification on hearing timeline

5 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Like I said.  I get the list every week.  I see who is suspended and for what. They also used to send out a warning list for players.  They stopped doing that IMO because it was highlighting the problem players and organizations.  You'd have 4 or 5 kids from the same team in the top 15 of PIMS in the the league and the same organizations with multiple kids at multiple levels leading the league in PIMs on every list.  Those people got tired of getting called out so they killed the list.

This post confuses me. If there are 4 or  5 kids, kids, from the same team leading the league in PIMS, and the same club leads PIMS lists in multiple divisions ... that's ... like, not good. The adults in charge of such nonsense should GTFO.

1 minute ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Like I said, it's not right but it's what happens.  It's a goon league in a town that likes goons.

Ha! You caught it before I deleted it in favor of a reply to you.

If that what was happening in my local town league, I'd have my kid doing something else. Eff that. I want my kids as far away as possible from adults who facilitate that sort of garbage.

Edited by That Aud Smell

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

Watching Habs-Leaves.  Can they do anything more to adulterate the rink in Toronto?  With the stupid "NHL FACE OFF 2018" sh!t behind the bluelines (as if we didn't know the season was starting) and ads IN THE F*CKING CORNERS, it looks like a rink in Sweden.  Dammit I am turning into "get off my lawn" guy.

11 hours ago, WildCard said:

Na I'm with ya 100%. Guys are already millionaires, let me enjoy the damn sport at least 

You guys are not going to be happy.....

Edited by LTS

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

god that looks awful. I swear that sports leagues really aren't about fans and the sport anymore and it sucks. 

Anymore? Sorry man, but they haven't been about the fans in decades

Just now, Eleven said:

I'll deal with it.  I got used to ads on the boards and I'll get used to this, but it's just going to get uglier and uglier...

The jersey ads are where I draw the line

25 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Anymore? Sorry man, but they haven't been about the fans in decades

You don't say?

These are for-profit, money-making ventures. It's an inexorable rule of the market that such entities must grow in order to live. (I have never quite understood why that rule must be -- but it does seem absolute in its application.) And in order to grow, new revenue streams must be found.

Ads on jerseys are coming. Along with a whole bunch of other stuff.

29 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'll deal with it.  I got used to ads on the boards and I'll get used to this, but it's just going to get uglier and uglier...

I don't like it but it's not too horrible yet. When it gets to be a patchwork mess of squeezing logos in until the ice is no longer clear, I'll leave it up to some wily players to make a stink.

"Sorry ref, I ran the goalie by accident- I couldn't make out the crease from the Lowe's logo and the pipes just kinda blended in with the Hampton Inn logo behind it and I guess I just got dazzled, you know?" 

"Sorry coach, I keep getting thrown out of the faceoff because I can't find the damn dot!"

"Sorry Captain, I can only make left turns, all the ads are bringing on powerful NASCAR associations... vroom vroom"

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, shrader said:

I've never really understood the need to put that start of the season logo out there inside the blue line each season.  Everyone already knows it's the start.  Are there really people tuning in who aren't sure whether or not it's a preseason game?

NHL gonna NHL 

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure but Marchand is a baby. He dishes it out but can't take it (taunting). I guess at least he is willing to back up his taunting with fists so there's that. 

Totally agree. In my mind if my team gets blown out 7-0 we deserve to get taunted. 

He backs it up with his fists by jumping an unprepared Eller.  

'Firing up the boys' when down 3-2  in the 2nd makes some sense (maybe), but at the end of a 7-0 stomping? I can't imagine how Marchand cheap shot'ing and bloodying Eller is supposed to help his millionaire professionals hockey player teammates perform better in future games. 

2 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Marchand tracks down Eller, and gets in a couple of hard rights. This apparently arose from some taunting that occurred. 

One thing that's weird in this clip is how no one says a thing from about the :13 mark to about 1:02. Just silence. Could this possibly be a policy decision by NBC not to glamorize these kinds of incidents? 

The silence was weird but I took it to be less policy decision and more just stunned silence at the futility of perpetrating bloody violence at the end of a blowout game. It reeked of futility and immaturity on the part of Marchand and rather than point all that out, they just watched, waiting for it to be over.  

8 minutes ago, Sakman said:

The silence was weird but I took it to be less policy decision and more just stunned silence at the futility of perpetrating bloody violence at the end of a blowout game. It reeked of futility and immaturity on the part of Marchand and rather than point all that out, they just watched, waiting for it to be over.  

Yeah - and it's early in the season. That may not have been planned -- just something that happened as they get their legs under themselves.

I understand the take on Marchand. I've heard it said many times, though, that that's the sort of thing hockey players respect and respond to when a teammate does it.

Just now, Hank said:

Marchand held Eller accountable for his douchiness, I like it. A lot. 

It could be said that Domi was holding Ekblad accountable for his douchiness too.  Motive aside, is there any real difference in the act?

1 minute ago, Hank said:

Marchand held Eller accountable for his douchiness, I like it. A lot. 

Waving bye at the other bench now equals douchieness? 

Just now, Eleven said:

It could be said that Domi was holding Ekblad accountable for his douchiness too.  Motive aside, is there any real difference in the act?

Eller dropped his gloves too? 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Waving bye at the other bench now equals douchieness? 

Eller dropped his gloves too? 

Well after he was jumped though.  And the linesmen weren't as quick to get to him as they were to Ekblad, so maybe he had to defend himself a bit.