Around the NHL 2018-2019

WildCard

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Bro, I tried being nice to you after the initial exchange but you’ve got a very loose grip on reality. You keep insisting someone told you to “**** off.” That did not happen. You also didn’t “simply mention how good of a player Trochek is.”

I was with you on how the stuff being said in response to you was an overreaction but it seems I gave you the benefit of the doubt without knowing enough about your history.

Yes.  Yes it did.

I do like the poster that did and he has contributed well to the board, but I did call him out on it, as it is way over the line.

JJ has strong opinions about the Sabres and his second team, the Panthers after spending more time in south Florida than in Buffalo.  It's normal and he should be able to bring up a valid point for discussion in a thread that is all about the NHL and not the Sabres.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, WildCard said:

Honestly man this interaction only happens with you, and it happens every single time. 

JJ enters and says something

Poster responds

JJ says this is why he never posts and why no new members join

Posters respond

And the thread turns into a sht show

Wash. Rinse. Repeat. 

At this point it's like predicting the weather

Show me where I posted something out of line. I made one post about Eichel vs Trochek and 2 or 3 people got all over me. Show me where I did anything to stimulate this mess. 

13 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Leafs lose 2 in a row, score 1 goal in the 2 games. Booyah. 

Of course I have to gloat during the downswings if I'm going to be a downer when they're flying high. 

ROR got his first goal of the season in doing so. 

Leafs are coming back down to earth a bit.     Still not an ES goal in my mind, PP was just over when he hit the net.

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

I went back through the thread this morning to see whether there was hard statistical support for the (nonsensical) contention that Trochek was/is/ever will be a better player than Eichel and I find nothing except the fact that they've had similar point totals.  

They've had identical point totals despite Eichel getting favorable zone starts with generally offensively oriented teammates (I didn't like Kane with Jack, but that's what Kane is, and he and Jack were the best ES scoring combo last year, and also hemorrhaged goals and shots against). And yet Eichel has never been able to not get caved in shot-wise and goals-against-wise while on the ice. Those metrics will fluctuate during the course of the season from bad to sometimes bottom-bottom-tier in the league. Whereas Trocheck got harder minutes than any center on either team last year (including Barkov and ROR, though ROR has the defensive zone start nuance with those whacky shifts) and yet continually tilts the ice in the offensive direction. 

You can't even give Jack a meaningful scoring edge, and Trocheck is seven tiers above him defensively and possession-wise (he doesn't have nearly the hockey skill, but Jack is hardly cerebral, and Vince is just a smart, aware hockey player positionally). I've already said this, I'm not sure why you've found "nothing." 

Edited by Randall Flagg

Saying Trochek is as good or better than Eichel right now isn't completely insane, but I definitely disagree with it. On the other hand, I'd argue preferring Trochek long term is pretty nuts. To make a Dudacek-style argument, when Trochek was Jack's age he had accumulated a whopping 30 points in 70 games. Jack has (not counting this season) 177 in 209. 

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

They've had identical point totals despite Eichel getting favorable zone starts with generally offensively oriented teammates (I didn't like Kane with Jack, but that's what Kane is, and he and Jack were the best ES scoring combo last year, and also hemorrhaged goals and shots against). And yet Eichel has never been able to not get caved in shot-wise and goals-against-wise while on the ice. Those metrics will fluctuate during the course of the season from bad to sometimes bottom-bottom-tier in the league. Whereas Trocheck got harder minutes than any center on either team last year (including Barkov and ROR, though ROR has the defensive zone start nuance with those whacky shifts) and yet continually tilts the ice in the offensive direction. 

You can't even give Jack a meaningful scoring edge, and Trocheck is seven tiers above him defensively and possession-wise (he doesn't have nearly the hockey skill, but Jack is hardly cerebral, and Vince is just a smart, aware hockey player positionally). I've already said this, I'm not sure why you've found "nothing." 

Regardless of rather or not yours or Eleven's information is true, most fans don't exactly care or have any interest in how other teams fair. Most of us Sabres fans are constantly being harassed by other teams' fans elsewhere on the internet thus even though your argument may be very sound; no one really wants to hear it. You, of all people, should know how toxic the HFboards are against the Sabres. We are constantly put down, and stepped on by everyone thus we tend to be a little defensive of our star players.  

JJ, there is nothing wrong with liking two teams; that being said it may not be wise to hype your Panthers here seeing as they are division rivals and most of us would rather watch them crash and burn for that fact alone. 

To be perfectly honest, if every team, but Buffalo, could get a non-lethal illness that only lasted one full season and that helped us win a Cup I'd be happy. Then I could actually not feel angered by the other 30 teams, when they have success. 

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Regardless of rather or not yours or Eleven's information is true, most fans don't exactly care or have any interest in how other teams fair. Most of us Sabres fans are constantly being harassed by other teams' fans elsewhere on the internet thus even though your argument may be very sound; no one really wants to hear it. You, of all people, should know how toxic the HFboards are against the Sabres. We are constantly put down, and stepped on by everyone thus we tend to be a little defensive of our star players.  

JJ, there is nothing wrong with liking two teams; that being said it may not be wise to hype your Panthers here seeing as they are division rivals and most of us would rather watch them crash and burn for that fact alone. 

To be perfectly honest, if every team, but Buffalo, could get a non-lethal illness that only lasted one full season and that helped us win a Cup I'd be happy. Then I could actually not feel angered by the other 30 teams, when they have success. 

You should stay off the main boards at hfboards, nobody knows anything about each others' teams but they all think they know everything about them. 

The Sabres one isn't good either. It's downright toxic. If people think this place is too negative, they should make sure that site never enters their address bar. 

And FTR, I think Eich will be a better hockey player as soon as he's that 90 point player we all know he can be. But until he's actually shown it and made it happen, I give the guy that scores the same amount and will be in Selke conversations the rest of his career the edge. And I know that Jack at his age is much better, which is why I've always said I'd still take Jack over him. I'm just talking about this instant in time snapshot of them as players.

Edited by Randall Flagg

20 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Man, I haven't hyped anything. I've given Spuddy Gallant creds where he deserves it. I made one comment about Trochek in a thread about the NHL in general. I may be tough to deal with, but I feel right now I'm getting unfairly treated. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Trying like hell to stay out of this but, cheese and rice some of you sound like the thinnest skinned of children.  Comparing Trochek to Jack and posters are complaining about not wanting to hear it.  FFS it's hockey.  Noone is calling your new born baby homely.  Comparing players to each other SHOULD be part of the convo here.

And regarding Trochek and Eichel.  If you are trying to be rational, it's hard to look past the 200' game of Trochek that goes with those points and still say Jack is clearly the better player.  The more offensively talented player?  Absolutely, but I'd posit that much of that edge is not fully displayed.  But better?  There is a valid argument to be made either way for who is the better player.

First thing I note between the two is their points have been nearly equal the last 3 seasons, but Jack has done it in fewer games.  That means something.  But the usage stats do as well.  As does the defensive prowess.  And lets face it, talent not on the ice for 20 games isn't as good as talent on the ice for all of the games.

The difference between the two over the last two seasons is closer than we want to admit.  Frankly, we should have expected more from our franchise center those last 3 seasons.  He needs to end the argument that they are even.  He has the talent.  Does he have the drive?  Trochek does.

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Weave said:

Surprised there is nothing in here about the passing of Charles Wang today.

Or did I miss it buried in all the drama?  ?

Completely different Wang, but for some reason seeing that harkened back to Rodney Dangerfield in Caddyshack.  Paraphrasing "hey Wang, now remember this place is restricted, so don't let 'em know you're Jewish."

RIP Mr. Wang.  Your ownership of the Aisles is missed.

As I age, I realize how much I really don't age. At 43, when I was a gym nut last year, I could out run people half my age. When I was 20, I pictured people in their 40's as old. I've taken care of myself and I feel young when I go out, in my mid 40's. I hate when people in their 20's treat me like an old man. 

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

As I age, I realize how much I really don't age. At 43, when I was a gym nut last year, I could out run people half my age. When I was 20, I pictured people in their 40's as old. I've taken care of myself and I feel young when I go out, in my mid 40's. I hate when people in their 20's treat me like an old man. 

Is this the point where I say something mean and unwelcoming to you ??? I kid, just like stirring the pot ?

I'm 34 (soon) and I feel like I'm 75, the perpetual jetlag plays a big part in that. 

1 hour ago, JJFIVEOH said:

Oh, do I have a story for you....

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I've always thought of this place as being better than other places. Just because somewhere else is toxic doesn't mean this place needs to be.  We're not trying to lower ourselves to their standards here.

This is a Sabres forum, and the original thought was about the Sabres and comparing their star player to another player in the "ALL AROUND THE NHL" thread.  It doesn't seem all that out of line that in this thread there would be discussion about stuff that relates to happenings in the NHL.

Quite honestly, if the Sabres were to win a Cup that way it would be an asterisk that every fan on those other 30 teams could hold above our head and we'd know it was true. If the Sabres are going to win a Cup.. I want them to earn it.

19 hours ago, Randall Flagg said:

Leafs lose 2 in a row, score 1 goal in the 2 games. Booyah. 

Of course I have to gloat during the downswings if I'm going to be a downer when they're flying high. 

ROR got his first goal of the season in doing so. 

It is REALLY early in the NHL season to be making strong opinions about teams, but for now..I think we can settle down on the 'Leafs are the clear favorite for the cup" stuff that I have been hearing out of Toronto for the last 2-4 weeks.

They are good. Are they great? I'm not sure.  They went to OT to beat the Habs and Black hawks...and they won pretty convincingly against a bad Kings team.  They had a good come from behind win against the caps...and beat what looks like an average Stars team.  Lost to a good Pittsburgh team and what looks like a Blues team still trying to find itself.

So right now..the Leafs look to me like they are just the same as they were last year.  Fun to watch, high scoring...good but not great. Their next 8 games in the next 3 weeks look like a GREAT test to see how they come out of it. By then, we should have a great idea for sure if they are good or great.

28 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

It is REALLY early in the NHL season to be making strong opinions about teams, but for now..I think we can settle down on the 'Leafs are the clear favorite for the cup" stuff that I have been hearing out of Toronto for the last 2-4 weeks.

They are good. Are they great? I'm not sure.  They went to OT to beat the Habs and Black hawks...and they won pretty convincingly against a bad Kings team.  They had a good come from behind win against the caps...and beat what looks like an average Stars team.  Lost to a good Pittsburgh team and what looks like a Blues team still trying to find itself.

So right now..the Leafs look to me like they are just the same as they were last year.  Fun to watch, high scoring...good but not great. Their next 8 games in the next 3 weeks look like a GREAT test to see how they come out of it. By then, we should have a great idea for sure if they are good or great.

The Loafs in large part are what they were last year: very good offense, meh defense, & IMHO overrated & not particularly good goaltending.  (The rest of this long post self erased itself, & don't care enough about the Loafs to regenerate it. Oooops.)

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Is this the point where I say something mean and unwelcoming to you ??? I kid, just like stirring the pot ?

I'm 34 (soon) and I feel like I'm 75, the perpetual jetlag plays a big part in that. 

Go for it, say what you want. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Oh, do I have a story for you....

You too, I'm glad to hear it. 

was over reading some Leafs forums this morning. I see on multiple sites reality is starting to set in on the ramifications of signing Tavares to that monster deal. Especially with Mathews and Marner due up for contracts next off season and the current situation with Nylander in Toronto.

Starting to see a decent portion of their fans showing concerns on having 2 Centers 11 million or more each. Fearing they won't be able to successfully address D needs and net minder stability past Andersons time. They are finally coming off the off season high of signing Tavares and taking a real look at the challenges that signing has created beyond this season. Interesting really.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

was over reading some Leafs forums this morning. I see on multiple sites reality is starting to set in on the ramifications of signing Tavares to that monster deal. Especially with Mathews and Marner due up for contracts next off season and the current situation with Nylander in Toronto.

Starting to see a decent portion of their fans showing concerns on having 2 Centers 11 million or more each. Fearing they won't be able to successfully address D needs and net minder stability past Andersons time. They are finally coming off the off season high of signing Tavares and taking a real look at the challenges that signing has created beyond this season. Interesting really.

If they follow the Blackhawks lead, they can move their soon to be expensive talent for other younger more cost effective players. It worked well for Chicago, no reason it can't work for TO. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

JT at 11 million ,  Nylander 8 million, marner 9milion, Matthews will go after McDavid money, I guess 13 million.    That is half a cap on 4 forwards.

• Like (+1) 1