Dunleavy Signs New Contract

Sabel79

And the other half we won't know who actually is carrying the puck. RJ is blind as a bat, doesn't recognize the players and can't read the numbers. I've been a big fan of his but it's time to retire.

Besides Dunleavy doesn't do anywhere near as bad a job as some moan and groan about.

And the other half we won't know who actually is carrying the puck. RJ is blind as a bat, doesn't recognize the players and can't read the numbers. I've been a big fan of his but it's time to retire.

Besides Dunleavy doesn't do anywhere near as bad a job as some moan and groan about.

He's not awful if you're watching the video but if it's just the audio, yeah, pretty bad.

If he works on actually saying Scored or Goal or Save, he will be much much better. His whole, "SHOT!!! Wow what a play, did you see that Razor? Ovechkin walks in from the point and lets one go. That was wired top shelf. Good thing Ullmark got his glove over in time, wow what a save."  Thanks Dan, I spent the last 10 seconds wondering what the had happened. 

I think he suffers mostly from the insurmountable disability of not being RJ. I know I still find it unsettling to hear Dunleavy call games for that reason; I’m sure others do. He’s not awful, but not particularly good.

If someone takes him to the side and drills home that people like to be told when goals happen it’ll improve things greatly.

Speaking of losing culture... Unless the team is top notch and the play is highlight reel, he won't be bothered to lift everyone up and gild the lily so to speak. He's like Ted in that way, and very much unlike Rick. He's intellectually honest. And boring as hell, unless Evander Kane takes a perfect pass, scores the winning goal in OT and crashes heavily into the boards. Then he can get it up.

I think he suffers mostly from the insurmountable disability of not being RJ. I know I still find it unsettling to hear Dunleavy call games for that reason; I’m sure others do. He’s not awful, but not particularly good.

If someone takes him to the side and drills home that people like to be told when goals happen it’ll improve things greatly.

I can't believe he hasn't heard the criticisms. He's just stubborn. It's also quite homerish. The other team scored? I won't give it the time of day. It's almost as bad as the guys who say "score" in a matter of fact, monotone style when the opponent scores.

I don't think you guys know how good we have it. Dunleavy might not be brilliant, but do give the radio guys in other markets a listen some time. There's not a one who is remotely as good as RJ, even now. We've been truly blessed to have one of the best of all time and we need to be more aware of that.

I agree with the sentiments that Dunleavy suffers for not being RJ.

RJ is a first ballot slam dunk HOF announcer. He's an absolute marvel of sound, style, pace, knowledge, etc.

Dunleavy is good. And I think he'll improve over time. I'm fine with it.

As someone who catches more and more hockey via audio streams, I *do* wish that he'd discipline himself to state, as early as possible, whether a shot was saved, went in, or missed the target.

To me RJ has the advantage of being the old standart bearer, so he gets forgiven for just about anything while Dan gets beat up for saying too much if you're watching the game on TV or saying too little if you're listening on the radio. Tough job actually to please both crowds. 

To me RJ has the advantage of being the old standart bearer, so he gets forgiven for just about anything while Dan gets beat up for saying too much if you're watching the game on TV or saying too little if you're listening on the radio. Tough job actually to please both crowds. 

I think the Sabres have done the simulcast since 97-98. Pete Weber did two years on radio before that, the last season at the Aud and the first season in MMA. It would probably help Dan a lot to let him do every game (on the radio when Rick does games and on TV otherwise) and let him get into a better rhythm. Sometimes he's like the goalie who hasn't played in six starts. When he's on TV, they could have a backup radio guy (Hammy anyone?), so Dan would always know what master he's serving, the radio listener or the TV "listener." Never both.

I think the Sabres have done the simulcast since 97-98. Pete Weber did two years on radio before that, the last season at the Aud and the first season in MMA. It would probably help Dan a lot to let him do every game (on the radio when Rick does games and on TV otherwise) and let him get into a better rhythm. Sometimes he's like the goalie who hasn't played in six starts. When he's on TV, they could have a backup radio guy (Hammy anyone?), so Dan would always know what master he's serving, the radio listener or the TV "listener." Never both.

Yeah. It would be good to start splitting the broadcasts sooner than later. Dunleavy is focused towards TV viewers rather than radio/audiocast listeners & RJ's oopsies are far easier to overlook & roll w/ on TV as well.

Well this really is disappointing. Guess I'm not listening to too many games. Worst in the business and our team has signed him to new contract? Must be he'll work real cheap or the team wants the last place standing on the ice and in the booth.

Good, I've always liked Dunleavy and think he's improved over time. I expect he'll continue to get better the more games he calls.

Couldn't disagree more. He's terrible!!

Well this really is disappointing. Guess I'm not listening to too many games. Worst in the business and our team has signed him to new contract? Must be he'll work real cheap or the team wants the last place standing on the ice and in the booth.

Couldn't disagree more. He's terrible!!

You need to listen to some other broadcasts. He's nowhere near the worst in the business.

RJ is a god among men, and Dunleavy has the misfortune of following up one of the greats.  He's better than anyone else that has filled in for Rick and he will find his rhythm.  At this point DD is still better than 50% of the other play-by-play guys in the league.   

I'm still lamenting the loss of Jim Lorentz.  Nobody broke down plays like him during the course of a game (Roby did have his moments during intermissions).  Harry Neale was a shell of him former self while doing games for the Sabres and Rob Ray sounds like he has marbles in his mouth whenever he speaks.  Razor gets a pass though because he gave his body to the team and his life to the area, and I do appreciate his sense of humor and his willingness to share his opinion on and experiences with players and coaches. 

It will be a cold, sad day in Buffalo when RJ fully retires and we never hear him yell SHAAAAAAAAAAUGHT!!! again during a game... 

I agree - I think one problem is he's neither Ted nor RJ. The simulcast is also a huge problem for him. He'd be much better if he was only "calling" the game for a single audience. I generally listen to games on satellite radio and need to know when a goal is scored

RJ is a god among men, and Dunleavy has the misfortune of following up one of the greats. He's better than anyone else that has filled in for Rick and he will find his rhythm. At this point DD is still better than 50% of the other play-by-play guys in the league.

Actually when Paul Hamilton did the play-by-play for some Sabres prospect tournament games he was really good, and would be a better replacement then Dunleavy.

Actually when Paul Hamilton did the play-by-play for some Sabres prospect tournament games he was really good, and would be a better replacement then Dunleavy.

Hamilton does a solid job. I'd say he does call a cleaner, more interesting game than Dunleavy.

From a PSE-brand perspective, I'd guess that they like Dunleavy more because, chief among other reasons, he's more camera-ready.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.